Calorie count and need to lose ALOT of weight.

Options
For those of you who have lost a significant amount of weight, 100+ pounds, what was your calorie intake? I'm hearing too low is not good but what is too low when you have so much weight to lose? I know in general you shouldn't go under 1200. I'm especially interested in calorie levels for those doing lower carb lifestyle. I stay under 50 net carbs and try to be under 30 most days. This seems to be the only thing that works for me losing weight as I have PCOS and hypothyroid. TIA!!

Replies

• VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    On days I work out.. I eat around 1500 cals!
  • Lalaj100
    Lalaj100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Vanilla. I have MFP set at 1400. Sometimes I eat some of my exercise calories back, sometimes I don't. I think I may start eating them back so that I am sure not go below 1200 Net.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Vanilla. I have MFP set at 1400. Sometimes I eat some of my exercise calories back, sometimes I don't. I think I may start eating them back so that I am sure not go below 1200 Net.

I'll be honest, I haven't lost 100 lbs or more. My only thinking with starting off with calories so low is eventually you need to go lower. If you have them at or near the bottom, that doesn't leave you much more to cut.
    Good luck.
  • Lalaj100
    Lalaj100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to figure out what level I need to lose weight without being too low or going into starvation mode.Also taking into account that I am doing low carb. I have no idea how to figure that out though. Maybe I will try to vary my calories a few weeks at a time to gauge where I lose best.
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 then went to 1400 then finally stopped at 1600 where I finally started dropping lbs. Play around until you find what fits you.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I've lost 95 pounds now - almost 100! I still have about 80 to lose and I'm on about 1900 cals a day. I'm not too strict on getting to exactly 1900 though and pretty much stay below 2000. I also don't eat back my exercise calories. I think I'm eating enough calories to keep me healthy, and enough that I'm not feeling hungry all the time.

The "Road Map" in the link above has some really good information to help you a good starting place.