Need 5K advice please!

Options
Okay, calling on my runner MFP buddies....I need your input- I am considering doing the C25K program to prepare for a 5K but the caveat is that I only have 6 weeks to prepare rather than 9 like the program calls for. The race is March 23rd. Do you think I am setting myself up for failure by rushing it? I don't expect to win (clearly!!) I want to finish...thoughts?

I am in decent shape but have had minimal exercise in the last year..... but where I lack in that I excel in determination!

Thanks!! :glasses:

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Okay, calling on my runner MFP buddies....I need your input- I am considering doing the C25K program to prepare for a 5K but the caveat is that I only have 6 weeks to prepare rather than 9 like the program calls for. The race is March 23rd. Do you think I am setting myself up for failure by rushing it? I don't expect to win (clearly!!) I want to finish...thoughts?

I am in decent shape but have had minimal exercise in the last year..... but where I lack in that I excel in determination!

Thanks!! :glasses:

The program is based on a set combo of walking/running. You can definitely keep going with the walk run interval you are comfortable with for the duration of a 5k by week 6. You won't be setting any course records but you can finish, even if you revert to walk 1 run 1. Go for it.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is cross the finish line and it can be on all fours if need be :)

Do what you can, learn your limits, go out and have fun
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling with starting out on Week 1 of C25K? You could try week 1 and if it seems pretty easy then try skipping a week or so.

You're not setting yourself up for failure at all either way. Your first 5k goal should be finishing, not any record time. Finish your first one and then try another. :)
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just train with the program and if you have to walk a bit...you do! Every one of my 5k's I have still had to walk off and on! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Go for it, just listen to your body. You may have one great run/walk, and the next time feel like poo. The main thing is that you not give up. Like others have said, even if you don't finish running the 5k, cross the finish line, it's a great feeling!!!
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    try doing intervals...go online and research it cause my wife and I have been doing them for a few weeks and I run 3 miles without any trouble now!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Even if you follow the program exactly, and walk at the points in the race that the program has you walking at that six week mark, you'll still have completed a 5K. And you can keep moving on and set goals to improve your time for the next 5K.

No matter what, you'll be lapping those still on the couch.
  • DianaV86
    DianaV86 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Go for it! All you need to do is try your best and cross the finish line. I think at that point of Couch to 5K you'll be prepared to do that! Good luck
  • tina323
    tina323 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing. I am just going to do my best...it will be my first one and I am excited. Good luck!
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    No I don't think you are setting yourself up for failure. You can do it!!! I ran my first mile ever in my entire life at 272 pounds and 33 years old. If I can do that, you can do this. I ran a 5k this morning with a friend just me and him and a nature trail. But, you can do it. The hardest part is the first mile. Running is all mental. If you can run one mile, you can run 2. If you can run 2 you can run 3. etc. You got this. Just make sure you don't run everyday because it is not good for your body.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    SLOW DOWN! Just enjoy the run and slow down.. I know it's a "race", but sometimes people try to run too fast and they miss out on the enjoyment. You should enjoy it and don't be afraid to slow down while traiining :) The first time I did the C25k, I kept trying to run too fast. I didn't keep up with running because I didn't think it was fun. The 2nd time I did the C25k, I made the decision that I'm going to enjoy it and run slower. Within a year I did 2 half marathons, 2 5 mile races and 3 5k! :) It's so much fun, but you don't have to run fast :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I am about to start week 3, even though I am not sure i am ready for it. Our race is April13, and it's a mud run. Give it a whirl...you will probably surprise yourself! :)
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. If you are in pretty good shape you can probably skip some of the beginning. Try week 1 day 1, and if it is way too easy skip to week 2 day 1, etc. BUT don't go overboard, know your body. :) You can totally do this!!!! Have fun!!!
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Go for it! You'll be fine. A 5k is a great way to start because it's not an ultra long race. If you need to walk during the race, no big deal. It'll give you some incentive to start now.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Failure is not an option or a possibility. If you are reasonably fit you can walk 3 miles in about an hour. So something better than that will be success.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've just started C25K as well. I found Week One quite easy, but what I did was run straight through some walk intervals and just have a longer cool down. Maybe you could try something similar?
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k 2 weeks after signing up for it... I didn't run the entire time but I finished it! And did another one a couple of weeks later...still didn't run the entire way but cut a minute off of the first one. So just go for it!
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start week 4, and the first couple weeks I took one rest day every 2 days, instead of every other day. I got through them pretty quickly, and wasn't feeling like I was pushing myself too hard. If you're in good shape, you could totally do that! Good luck :) I just signed up for my first 5k in april and I can't wait! My goal - just to cross the finish line, and hopefully not be in last place! lol
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a "run/walk" or "fun run"? Those have a wide range of abilities at them. There are people who come in with 16 minutes or 62 minutes (seriously those were the fastest and slowest at my last 5k), I do those every weekend and I just started C25k three weeks ago. I don't run the whole time, but in the past three races I have cut 3 minutes off of my time. I'm planning to do a 10k early in June (it is a run/walk too). I find I do way better in actual 5ks than when running alone. Anytime I see someone out cheering us on in the middle of winter, I push myself to run. I also love my collection of 5k swag :-) 5ks are worth it even if you aren't a runner. A while back my whole family did them and half of us walked the whole thing.
    Try day one on C25k and see how you feel. If you are already somewhat fit, you may try the first day and decide to skip ahead to week two
    Good luck and have fun!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is cross the finish line and it can be on all fours if need be :)

Yep :-)