Why Exercise is Important!

Options
I have been seeing a lot of members commenting about how they are still losing weight even though they're not exercising....here is my opinion on exercise and why it's important to meet your weight loss goals....the more you exercise, the more of an expert you become at fueling your body in the best way possible. You won't give in to eating that snickers bar if you are going to hit the gym in an hour, and if you do give in and you have a horrible cramp throughout your whole workout, you will feel horrible and make sure it never happens again!! Instead, you will chose healthy options that will fuel your body for exercise and also help you recover post-exercise. Thoughts, comments?

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Not to mention, who wants to work that hard losing fat just to look all saggy when you're done. Working out will ensure you look the part as well as feel the part and it keeps your heart and lungs and other muscles strong.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I always feel like exercise is a double bonus for just the reasons you mentioned. Not only are you more motivated to eat healthier when you've worked out (or are about to work out), but when you eat unhealthy, I think many of us fall so quickly into negative thoughts..."well, since I blew my diet, I may as well not work out"...or you just feel like crap from eating junk and decide to not work out or have a worse workout than you would have otherwise. I know for me, exercising actually suppresses my appetite for a good while. On days when I don't work out, I find myself far hungrier than on days when I do.

So working out is a double bonus...you burn the calories from exercising and forgo the calories you would've eaten if you didn't work out, so you burn double calories :) at least that's what I tell myself on days when I don't want to go to the gym!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    At 46 without excercise I hate to think about what I would look like having lost 50+ pounds! the saggy skin is one thing but at least there is some muscle underneath it.

Excercise makes you feel better!:love:

Good for your bones.:flowerforyou:

Skinny fat is bad. :laugh:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree. I need exercise to tone but I also need it to feel good. As weight comes off I have found I need to increase my workout to keep losing. I am not sure what would happen if I didn't exercise as I lose weight so slowly.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    plus exercise keeps your muscle mass. You can be at a healthy weight and still have a high body fat % and that puts you at the same risk for disease as an overweight person with that fat %. Yay for fighting disease!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just don't get it either. I guess they haven't found the "right" exercise (which I firmly believe there is something for everybody!!!) If you don't love it, try something else! After 40 years, I finally found an outdoor boot camp which ROCKS!!! I have exercized 5-7 days a week 60+ minutes a day because I have found the thing I love! Plus you are so right who wants to look saggy after losing weight, skinny fat, or fluffy thin is bad!:wink:
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important to me because I don't lose weight if I don't exercise, no matter what my caloric intake is. Besides, as I'm losing fat, these curvy muscles are forming and popping out, and they look good. :happy:
  • kshields85
    kshields85 Posts: 18
    Options
    I know you are supposed to eat your exercise cals, but I just can't do it. I barely get to my normal cals for the day! Unless, I have something outrageous like a wendy's baconater! Its hard when my husband isn't on it and I have to cook 'regular' food for dinner. I have started making myself a little side salad or green beans or peas. My husband doesn't like any green veggie, which is so bad since most nutrients a person needs comes from those delicious little veggies! I exercise because I don't want to have excess skin! That just terrifies me that one day, the weight may be gone, but the skin isn't! Is there anyone who knows what causes these people to have that problem? Is it just from not enough exercise and losing weight too fast?
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I know you are supposed to eat your exercise cals, but I just can't do it. I barely get to my normal cals for the day! Unless, I have something outrageous like a wendy's baconater! Its hard when my husband isn't on it and I have to cook 'regular' food for dinner. I have started making myself a little side salad or green beans or peas. My husband doesn't like any green veggie, which is so bad since most nutrients a person needs comes from those delicious little veggies! I exercise because I don't want to have excess skin! That just terrifies me that one day, the weight may be gone, but the skin isn't! Is there anyone who knows what causes these people to have that problem? Is it just from not enough exercise and losing weight too fast?

There are things you can do to help the loose skin issue but a lot of it comes down to genetics and how long your skin has been stretched out. There is no foolproof method for avoiding it.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Exercise keeps me sane! I am so much more focused and commited if I do it. I miss when I don't.:cry: AND....we want to look cute in our jeans! :laugh:
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love exercise because of the way it makes me feel and because of the muscle I have gained. I totally agree that it helps you learn about using food as fuel (instead of a friend). I wouldn't really like being 125 lbs if I was still 36% body fat!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    my skin looks amazing after exercise :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sorry that this is going to be a staid, boring comment (although I did happen to have a snickers bar on Monday before exercising and actually had a GREAT workout, so go figure......).

In my 25 years in this field, I have reviewed a ton of research. After I finished grad school, my first 15 years or so were really focused on preventive health and clinical exercise programs. One common theme ran through all of my work--the transformative power of exercise/physical activity. Exercise benefits our bodies and minds so thoroughly that we can't even measure all the ways. Almost every health condition or lifestyle risk profile can be improved with regular exercise. I don't think it is either overly dramatic or hyperbole to state that exercise is indeed "medicine" and that, in many cases, it is a wonder drug.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    For me exercise and good nutrition go hand-in-hand. Although I have the occasional treat, I definitely find myself craving much better foods when I am getting regular exercise. When I am not exercising regularly, I crave the comfort foods a lot more. So, I think exercise really helps me keep my eating in check.

Beyond that, it makes me feel powerful. I have no desire to be "skinny fat". I want lean, strong muscles. I like that I can do pushups and pull ups (ALMOST!) and run several miles without wanting to die. I have a lot more self-confidence when I am exercising, regardless of what weight I am.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Runners high
    The " Pump"
    Ran longer
    Ran faster
    Ran a mile without walking
    Finally able to run
    Did more: pushups, situps, pullups, squats ,lunges,jumprope, jumpingjacks,etc...
    Completed the entire DVD, yoga class, Zumb Class etc... without stopping
    Lifted more weight, set a new personal record

These are a few reasons why exercise is important, the reasons we push ourselves to workout, try again, push harder, reach our goals
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I love the runners high :laugh:
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I cant say I have ever exerpienced the runners high, unless they mean the feeling I get when the run is finally over!
    Here are a few more reasons to exercise:

healthy heart
    healthy body and mind
    makes you feel better throughout the day
    builds confidence in yourself
    for upcoming events: graduation, weddings, class reunions, vacations, summer(bikini weather)
    to grow old without complications
    to set an example for your kids (lead by example)
    to see your kids exercise with their kids, for you to exercise with your grandkids, to be able to pick up your kids or grandkids, to be able to keep up with your kids or grandkids, to not miss so many opportunities to play when they ask because you physically cant and can never get that chance back, to motivate your significant other to exercise so they can be around for a while and you can go out and do things together, go walk together,ride bikes together, run together, lift weights do videos take classes TOGETHER