Alway over my sugar

Options
MFP suggests for me to have 1200 calories a day. And 24g of sugar. I have one cup of coffee a day with 2 tea spoons of sugar and one apple a day. With this, I am at my sugar goal for the day. Almost everything has some sort of sugar in it. And I love fresh fruit. So incorporate that everyday. With this alone I am over my sugar. I have tried Sweet and Low and Splenda but seem to get really bad headaches when using these. How to I keep under my sugar goal? Is this normal?

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I really only look at calories and a little at carbs. I am always way over in protein and sugar.
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests for me to have 1200 calories a day. And 24g of sugar. I have one cup of coffee a day with 2 tea spoons of sugar and one apple a day. With this, I am at my sugar goal for the day. Almost everything has some sort of sugar in it. And I love fresh fruit. So incorporate that everyday. With this alone I am over my sugar. I have tried Sweet and Low and Splenda but seem to get really bad headaches when using these. How to I keep under my sugar goal? Is this normal?

I personally don't worry about sugar as long as it is coming from natural sources such as your fruits or veggies as long as you don't over do it. It is almost impossible to stay under the sugar goal.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Use your judgement :) if it's healthy, then who cares? i always ignore sugar, really, because like you said: i love fruit, and then also, I like my sugar now and then :)
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! As long as my sugar is from a healthy source I don't worry too much!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat...so I started ignoring my fruit and veggie sugars and watch what else has sugars.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree with everyone else.... if you eat fruit, you'll pretty much ALWAYS be over on your sugar.

Nutrition labels don't differentiate from natural vs added sugar, so it's near impossible to track the difference. I also don't worry about it too much for that reason.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think it means sugar that's added to foods, not sugar that occurs naturally. For example, fresh fruit naturally has sugar, but yogurt has added sugar. So try for no more than 24 grams of added sugar daily, if you're concerned about it:smile: .
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I also read somewhere that the sugar on MFP is meant as "added" sugar, not sugar from fruit in which case you should allow yourself probably at least double what MFP says. Personally, I think MFP should change those guidelines. I am always right on target for my fat and carbs and always over for my sugar, fiber and protein and am usually under my calorie goal (not by much, but I am). I don't understand how you can meet your calorie goals and meet your nutrition goals at the same time. Seems virtually impossible to me.

Like others have mentioned, as long as you're eating healthy and continuing to lose, don't worry about it!