Exercise for Wheelchair User

Options
Hi all,

This is my first post on here so interested to see if there is anyone that can help me out.

I'm an athlete by trade and also a wheelchair user but I've recently had a shoulder injury that has put me out of training and meant that I've piled on the pounds. I'm not allowed to do any strenuous exercise until given the all clear but can anyone give me any pointers on what I can do to speed up my weight loss exercise wise? Any low impact exercise that has worked for you?

Replies

• ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

My hubby is a paraplegic. His exercises mostly consist of hand cycling, swimming and lifting weights. Although I'm not sure how those things would affect your injured shoulder!
  • paulkempjr
    paulkempjr Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of "pushing", swimming, and resistance band work. There are also a couple of workout vids on you tube for spinal cord injuries, they are very low impact, and focused on upper body only. I also do quite a few pushups, and weighted crunches right in my chair by adding dumbbells to the foot rest and doing wheelies repeatedly. There are quite a few things you can do, just get creative. In the winter, I go to the local ice skating rinks quite a bit and spin around, gets a good sweat up!