Weight gain of 7lbs within under 2 weeks of EXERCISING?

Options
I have started going to the gym 3-4 times a week for 3 weeks now and after 2 weeks of going I had gained 7-8lbs. It has put a dampner on my spirits and I can't understand why my efforts are so fruitlees. I am eating as heathiliy as I can, counting calories and exercising for 1 hour mimimum (cardio, I don't do weights), 3-4 times a week! Is it that I need to work out more? Everyday? Eat less? Please help, I feel like joining the gym was a mistake.

Replies

• moletos54
    moletos54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to mentioned this it might help you. If you are doing weights and stuff like that. It will increase your muscle mass, which in turn weights more. I learn that you have to stay away from the scale and go by the way your clothes fit. otherwise you will get discourage by all of it. This is from my fitness trainer. Good luck!
  • Im_with_ana_
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, it's very much appreciated but that's what's confusing me; I don't do weights! Most of my time is spent doing cardio and it feels awful to know nothing is changing the way I want it to. (I edited my OP)
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It could partially be muscle gain (even if it's just cardio, still building muscle) and water retention from said muscle gain. Nothing to concern with, almost everyone gains first before dropping. I'd recommend some sort of resistance training whether it be machines, bands, free weights or body weight exercises. More muscle = More fat burnt
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It could partially be muscle gain (even if it's just cardio, still building muscle) and water retention from said muscle gain. Nothing to concern with, almost everyone gains first before dropping. I'd recommend some sort of resistance training whether it be machines, bands, free weights or body weight exercises. More muscle = More fat burnt

Completely agree with this!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Sorry, but there is no way a woman gained 7-8 lbs of muscle in three weeks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Water/glycogen retention. Not uncommon and if you're consistent with eating then weight loss will resume. However cardio only exercise doesn't do much for muscle tone and muscle conditioning. Consider adding resistance training for this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Im_with_ana_
    Options
    So my body is retaining water?? I'm sticking to eating healthily and I will stick with the gym and hopefully you're right and I'll start losing some weight.

Thank you to everyone who replied! :)
    I'll post an update when I see what happens.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    water retention nearly made me give up my goal about 3 weeks ago, i'm trying to gain weight, and i had been eating big, healthy and consistently for a month without touching the scales, i jumped on them and had LOST 1.5kgs and it nearly made me give up, i spoke to my guru of training at work (she's a body builder) and she explained that i had probably held alot of water from lack of food and my body was adjusting to it, well i'm pleased to say three weeks later i've not only put on the 1.5kgs i lost but also gained an extra 2kgs :)

you have to have faith in it, if you're doing what people say is right you have to ignore the first adjustment phase of any diet and just keep doing it regardless of what you see, it will work

EDIt: it's also safe to say your metabolism needs time to adjust to the different inputs the body is receiving weather excersize, food, water, supplements even sleep
  • Im_with_ana_
    Options
    Do you know how many calories I should be eating to lose weight? And should I be exercising everyday to keep my metabolism going?
    Thanks for your reply!
    I'm 5'4
    And currently 122lbs (I want to reach 112lbs ASAP)
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i'd say 1400 - 1500 calories should do you nicely, make sure you get roughly 95 - 105g of protein each day in those calories, keep carbs and fat low and make sure they're healthy.

imo excersizing everyday isn't always a good idea, 5 times a week is enough, and use the two days off to break up the week so say... 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on... etc etc mix it up, make sure you vary it, if you have a problem area make sure you give it extra attention but don't go obsessive.

i'd do something like:

day 1 - weights
    day 2 - cardio
    day 3 - weights and cardio
    day 4 - off
    day 5 - weights
    day 6 - weights and cardio
    day 7 - off