Running/jogging with big bust

Options
I'm looking for serious suggestions and no rude or sex offensive remarks, please.

I want to run or even jog on the treadmill or outside but my bust keeps me from doing that. I'm a 42DD and no matter what I try, it doesn't work. Sports bras don't hold them tight enough to my chest and when I get going they bounce back and knock the wind out of me with every step. It's kind of like jogging while someone is punching you in the chest. I've tried wearing my underwire bra while running, besides the fact that it is extremely uncomfortable to workout in, I start to get deep indents in my collar bone and shoulder area after a while.

I use to have a trainer and when it was time to do jumping jacks, he would duct tape my chest all the way around my body. Kind of like a "tube top". I couldn't believe how much longer and how many more I could do!!! And I didn't feel out of breath with them coming down and slapping my chest. They didn't move! BUT, we were in a private room for jumping jacks. I can't see me on the main floor in the gym with duct tape around my bust or jogging around the block like that. I have to do it over my clothes because duct tape really hurts when you pull it off bare skin.

I have sports bras in almost every name brand: Addidas, Norditrack, Speedo, and many more! Does anyone have any good suggestions for me to try?

Replies

• beccasetsfire
    beccasetsfire Posts: 135
    Options
    I usually wear at least 2 sports bras... I'm about the same bra size as you...
  • teresaag
    teresaag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Have you tried the Jockey Sport High Impact Zipper-front Bra? $38.00
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm same here.....so I'm watching this thread for suggestions. I currently wear 2 bras at a time....and it helps but not near what I would like.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Have you tried the Jockey Sport High Impact Zipper-front Bra? $38.00

No, I've never tried that one! Definately going to the store tomorrow! Thanks!

Please keep the suggestions coming!:flowerforyou:
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to be in your shoes. I know this is not an option for most people but I had a reduction. My bilateral breast reduction was the best hting that ever happened. I used to have to wear 2 sports bras and even still I was emabarresed to run in front of ppl... Just get some really good sports bras that are NOT the kind you pull over your head. Get the ones with the clasps in the back and go a size smaller than what you wear in a regular bra. I still wear these bc they are so awesome!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Obviously I can only sympathize, not empathize, and I have no real (or even remote) expertise in this. But is there any chance that a compression top would help? I wear Skins when I run and when I sleep if I've done a lot of leg work and have sore muscles. I know you can get them in tops, but I don't know if they'd provide enough support for you. You can always try though. There are some brands that aren't as expensive as Skins, but then the compression may be less, I'm not sure.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Oh man I know. I have a really large chest and they do not seem to be getting smaller with my weightloss. Since I started exercising a lot more I have been focusing on good posture. I did not realize how much my chest interfered with my posture and now that I am 44 pounds down I can eally feel it taking a toll on my back. I will probably eventually get a breast reduction, my hubby won't like it, but large breast are really difficult to exercise with. I totally feel your pain. I never thought about two bras. maybe i'll try that and look in to that zipper bra. Good luck everyone!:drinker:
  • bethinagain
    Options
    Obviously I can only sympathize, not empathize, and I have no real (or even remote) expertise in this. But is there any chance that a compression top would help? I wear Skins when I run and when I sleep if I've done a lot of leg work and have sore muscles. I know you can get them in tops, but I don't know if they'd provide enough support for you. You can always try though. There are some brands that aren't as expensive as Skins, but then the compression may be less, I'm not sure.

Never heard of a compression top, I'm gonna do some homework on that one! Thanks for the suggestion!

Danielle - Clasps in the back, interesting. I always buy the ones that pull over my head. It sounds like there's the problem. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I usually wear two bras as well - one with a clasp in the back and then a pull over the head one on top of it, I also buy mine a size smaller than I usually wear - the thicker and tighter the elastic the better - hope this helps- it can be frustrating when our bodies work against us!! It also helps me when I wear (over my two bras) tanks/tops with built in bras or are super spandexy and tight - might not be the best figure flattering work out wear, but I'll wear whatever helps keep the girls in place!! Good Luck!
  • paulafudge
    paulafudge Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey ladies!!!

I am a 38GG. I wear the Enell sports bra, size 2 or 3. These are compression bras and they are amazing. worth every penny and I am ready to by my third one and my first 2 have lasted me over a year already. check them out online www.enell.com

You can ask me anything but I am serious about this bra, it has changed my life. I first heard about it from my mentor when training for a beginners triathlon. Here in Austin, TX, there are 2 stores that carry them.

No joke- they will custom make Man bras also!! "Male support vest"

Good luck to all!
  • bethinagain
    Options
    Hey ladies!!!

I am a 38GG. I wear the Enell sports bra, size 2 or 3. These are compression bras and they are amazing. worth every penny and I am ready to by my third one and my first 2 have lasted me over a year already. check them out online www.enell.com

You can ask me anything but I am serious about this bra, it has changed my life. I first heard about it from my mentor when training for a beginners triathlon. Here in Austin, TX, there are 2 stores that carry them.

Good luck to all!

WOW.....I just checked out the website! It looks great! I even tried to order it right away, but they are out of stock in black. I'm definately going to call tomorrow! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    LOL thank you for posting this...I was just thinking yesterday about posting this very question but chickened out!! I have been wearing two bras like many have said - one is just a normal underwire that fits nice and snug (underwire totally doesn't bother me during exercise) and then a tight pull over the head spandex one....still the girls bounce around much more than I want when doing jumping jacks or running (so I don't do it in public either). I wear a 38DDD and thankfully don't have the problem of them knocking the wind out of me like some have said, but...

So I did a little research on the internet and found a bra that I really want to try but not sure if I want to spend the money on something that most likely won't fit soon... The best option that I have found is the Enell Sports Bra. They are supposed to be NO BOUNCE!!!! Oprah recommends them and the women on the BL wear them. They are about $75 dollars a piece though! Has anyone tried them?? I would love a quick review!!

Thanks so much!!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    LOL talk about a quick response!!!! Thanks so much Paula for the review!! I think I am going to give it a try! Quick question...did you buy them in the store? I guess what I really am trying to ask is how their sizing works. I looked at it and am a little confused! Unfortunately I no longer live in or near a really big city so I don't have access to stores that cary Enell (sigh...I used to live 10 minutes away from the Mall of America...sigh). When you saw their sizing system, did you find that you went with the size they suggested?

LOL that was like 10 questions in one!!! I am thinking of ordering tomorrow, but I am going home to the great state of MN in a month to see my family, so maybe I will wait to go to MOA so that I can try them on....hmmmmmm.....
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem until I discovered Title Nine Sports http://www.titlenine.com

I am a changed woman now, support that actually does what it is suppose3 to for us bigger breasted women.! Not to mention that T9's customer service in person, online or on the phone is fantastic.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I second the Enell suggestion. All I wear jogging. I am a 34G
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Never heard of a compression top, I'm gonna do some homework on that one! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Here is a US online order page that has a bunch of women's compression tops:
    http://www.shopatron.com/products/category/Women's/1758.0.1.1.57194.9323.0.0.0
    The sleevless version is US$85, short sleeves: US$90 and long sleeves US$100.

NB: I have no affiliation with this company. I use one of their competitor products, they were just the first I found in a google search for "compression top".

2XU is one producer of these things. I use Skins, another brand (I think they're a little bit cheaper). Under Armour is a third brand which I think is cheaper still.

2XU partner with the Australian Institute of Sport to design and test their clothes. AIS tends to be a leader in this sort of thing, because we in Aus love winning sport, so we spend a lot of money designing better equipment. Anyway, this is the stuff that you always see swimmers wearing. The purpose is to act like an extra film of muscle on your outside. I run in compression pants and find my legs just swing forward (kind of defeats the point of running for exercise, huh?) In swimming, it also has the advantage of reducing water resistance.

I haven't heard of them being used for holding down large breasts, but frankly I can't see how there could be much bounce or swing when you're wearing these things. You can buy them at most sports stores and the clerks there can probably answer any other questions.

Hope you find some solution that works!
  • beMyself
    beMyself Posts: 29
    Options
    Yeah, I have the same problem. Unless I manage to reach my goal weight I will have to wear 2 bras- a regular one and a sports bra or 2 snug sports bras.

However, I am on the enell website now and this bra looks very well made. It actually looks like the perfect bra and it is reasonably priced. I want one regardless of what size I am.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    Hey ladies!!!

Good luck to all!

I was about to suggest these as well,

Haven't yet saved up for 1 yet but have talked to many ppl who swear by them.
  • paulafudge
    paulafudge Posts: 3
    Options
    @OpenHeaven I was able to buy the Enell bra at a store and ended up getting a size 2 even though I think the 38 band is a size 3. I felt no bounce in the size 2 so I bought it also because I knew it was to help me lose weight and didn't want to have a size 3 become to big. Technically they aren't made for a GG cup either but it is sized by band and I can get my breasts in them alright. At first it can be a challenge to put on (kind of like putting biscuits back in the can). HAHA Overtime and with practice it gets easier. I always wash mine in cold water and hang dry. It is best for the bra if you wash it while it is still damp from sweat before it has a chance to dry in the fabric. I still feel like the two I've had over a year are like new but want to get a third so I'll always have one ready to use. If I could change one thing about the bra, it would be to not have the last hook on the bottom or some other piece of fabric to keep the hook from touching the skin. During a workout, I have felt the bottom hook flipping under the band and rubbing the skin. I have made adjustments and it seems to happen less often now that I am aware of it.

I spent $49 on my first one but by the time I went to get a second one 6 months later the price was $59. I like getting them in different colors so I can tell which is which and know which one is older, etc. My triathlon mentor has suggested that you can easily dye the white one with fabric dye as well to any color you desire. :-)
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I've heard the shock absorber is good
    www.shockabsorber.co.uk/bounceometer/shock.html