pre-bed snack?

Options
Tonight I was really hungry so i chugged a can of tuna cuz i got nothing else to eat i considered to be healthy.

I am looking for some tips for pre-bed snack. Preferably something low fat and calories but good amount of protein. mostly i don't want my muscle to be cannibalized when i am sleeping lol

thanks!

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    my friend drinks muscle milk before bed, not exactly low cal, but 32 grams of protein, and if you sleep 8+ hours a growth hormone is released that helps build muscle, so a protein shake or bar would be good.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you like it then cottage cheese is a great before bed snack. It's a slow digesting protein that will feed muscle most the night. Creatine protein powders are good too.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My favorite pre-bedtime snack is a chocolate protein shake w/ peanut butter or fruit.... or greek yogurt w/ fruit. Both are satisfying for me, and gets the "something sweet" craving out of the way, but gives me good protein too.
  • bellacharlie
    Options
    Low fat string cheese is a healthy before bedtime snack and I have been told somewhere along the line that it can help clean and protect your teeth from tooth decay while you sleep.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with Tuna before bed.... As long as you brush your teeth, after. Having tuna breath may give you some funky dreams.

I've seen it recommended to eat a casein protein before bed as it is supposed to be a slower working protein, and will fuel your muscle recovery while you sleep. Milk, cottage cheese, or protein powders work well, milk seems pretty satiating, too.

I doubt it really matters, though. As long as you hit your macros, you should be able to eat anything that satisfies you, and be fine.

I like to make a molten lava cake, or protein pudding before bed. 1 scoop of chocolate casein protein, 1 tbsp of dark cocoa powder, sweetener to taste, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 pinch of baking powder, 1 egg white, and enough water to make it about the consistency of cake batter. microwave for about 25 to 35 seconds, (depending on your microwave) it should still be fairly liquidy in the middle for the lava cake. for the pudding, I leave out the egg white baking powder, and vanilla extract, and just top with Cool whip.
  • stevenyuzk
    stevenyuzk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advices everyone!