I cannot shift the weight from my upper thighs :(

Options
I go to the gym about 3-5 times a week
Generally, I do 3x 10 reps of lunges, ab exercises, 10-20 minutes power walking on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the cross trainer, 10 minutes on the bike and a few minutes of the rowing machine. I am very tired after this. The rest of my body is pretty toned and very thin except for my upper thighs. I swear that all of the fat in my body is stored in my upper thighs and butt. I cannot seem to shift it. Do you guys think that I am not trying hard enough or doing enough exercise??

My diet is pretty normal. I eat things like eggs and spinach on mulitgrain toast in the morning or grilled bacon
For lunch I have a homemade sandwich or a wrap and a piece of fruit or juiced fruit
And I have normal dinners and take out once a week. For snacks I have a muesli bar or greek yoghurt and blueberries. Just stuff like that.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Stubborn fat, huh?

What's your diet like? Meal frequency etc....??
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I think that's just where your body stores your fat. I have no flab whatsoever on my legs or my ribs, but I still have belly fat, "bat wings," and a huge butt and upper thighs. Honestly, your best bet is to learn to love the body you have and just continue losing weight.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump! I store fat there toooo :( even when I was underweight, my upper thighs weren't thaaat slim considering how unhealthily thin I was everywhereeee else!

I think we just have to be healthy and try achieve the best leanest version of OUR body type/shape... but it is frustrating :explode:
  • jenme
    jenme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. All my weight is in my upper thighs. When I first started the diet I walked for 30 to 45 minutes a day. I did stictly cardio. I didnt do anything that built the muscles. After about 2 months on the diet I got a stationary bike and rode for 45 minutes. I alternated between walking and riding everyday. I went from size 12-14 pants to size 6. I didnt start using weight training in legs for about 8 months.
    I dont know if this will work for you, but it worked for me.
  • romamgrey
    Options
    Very stubborn fat! My diet is pretty normal. I eat things like eggs and spinach on mulitgrain toast in the morning or grilled bacon
    For lunch I have a homemade sandwich or a wrap and a piece of fruit or juiced fruit
    And I have normal dinners and take out once a week. For snacks I have a muesli bar or greek yoghurt and blueberries. Just stuff like that.
  • heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can you add some squats and deadlifts to your routine...see if that helps?
  • romamgrey
    Options
    Did you use a standard stationary bike or one of those really intense ones where you do reallly high tensions if that is the correct term"
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    rather than focusing on weight, focus on body fat percentage. That's how you get rid of stubborn fat. You might only need to reduce your body fat percentage by a couple of percent to get the look that you want.

to improve body fat percentage, lift heavy weights and eat at a slight calorie deficit (e.g. TDEE = 10% - see the road map thread for how to calculate that).
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I´m the same and unfortunately it´s really hard to do something about where your body tends to store and from where it loses. I lose from top first, I have thin arms, clearly visible ribs and spine...and still tend to have bigger upper thighs. Good news: It has improved quite a lot. It is possible.
    You can try to change the type of exercise. Ballet and most of all lots and lots of stretchnig works for me, since it helps to tine up and build long and lean muscles instead of bulk, which helps the thighs look (and actually get!) thinner.
  • MichelleG28
    MichelleG28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im the same my thights are far bigger than the rest if me, the only thing that helps shift them to a smaller size is oure cardio, running, rowing and bike, I do find 10mins of 30sec sprints interval training on the treadmill really help kick the stubborn fat removal. Hope it helps,
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You are doing all the right exercises but fat comes off wherever it wants. You just have to either keep losing weight until it comes off your thighs or accept the way things are now. (I also collect fat on my rear, hips and thighs so I feel your pain).
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My lower body is terrible...I am even and advid hike...I mean hike miles every weekend...but I am not goal weight so it has to come off somewhere.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym about 3-5 times a week
    Generally, I do 3x 10 reps of lunges, ab exercises, 10-20 minutes power walking on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the cross trainer, 10 minutes on the bike and a few minutes of the rowing machine. I am very tired after this. The rest of my body is pretty toned and very thin except for my upper thighs. I swear that all of the fat in my body is stored in my upper thighs and butt. I cannot seem to shift it. Do you guys think that I am not trying hard enough or doing enough exercise??

My diet is pretty normal. I eat things like eggs and spinach on mulitgrain toast in the morning or grilled bacon

I had massive jiggly thighs when I started my journey a little over a year ago. Now they are super tight except the inner part, but I am working that now with my trainer.

Most of my progress was made before I started with him. I did hill intervals on the treadmill--the first 4 months I did 60 minutes, then I dropped down to 30 minutes. I also did the leg curl and leg extension machines, and eventually the hip adduction and abduction machines. About 6 months ago I started lifting heavy--mostly squats and leg press. Last month i started adding the stairmaster in the mix too. Just a few minutes will kick your butt! Now I have some definition in my quads ( front of the thigh) and hamstrings ( back of the thigh)