calories burned vs calories eaten

Options
I am allowed 1200 calories a day, if I exercise and add that to my journal it tells me I have extra calories to eat. How can I lose weight if I eat extra calories then many daily allotment?

Replies

• dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Because when you exercise you burn calories. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day and you are not eating the calories burned during exercise then your defect will likely be huge.

So, for example if you burned 1000 calories running, you would need to eat 2200 calories that day. Otherwise your body will go into starvation mode, and you will not loose any weight. Your body will start to eat its own muscles to for energy.

Sometimes I burn over 1500 calories in a day, and it pretty hard to eat that amount. But i always try to eat 50-75% of the calories i have burned through exercise.

This is why olympic athletes can eat up to 4000 calories a day and still build and tone muscle.

Dale
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    if you are large , say over 100lbs ( eat about 2/3rds of your calories burned , if you are hungry , obviously EAT) when you get about get about 40-50% away from you goal weight, EAT ALL YOUR BURNED CALORIES !