"regular" Cheerios or MultiGrain Cheerios?

Options
I eat regular Cheerio's just about every day for breakfast. I ate the last bowl yesterday, and went to the store to get more, and decided to also get a box of MultiGrain. I'm just about to try my first bowl of MultiGrain, which looks like it's about 10 cals more per serving (not too worried about that, just taking notice). I have heard it's sweeter than regular, with a bit more sugar.

Any opinions (health-related or otherwise) one way or the other? Thanks!

Replies

• slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Healthwise, I would switch to steel cut or old fashioned oats. If you like Cheerios so much it would help to compare the nutritional labels and choose the one with the least sugar and most fiber. If you have a Trader Joe's in your are you might try their High Fiber O's.
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Otherwise: I prefer MultiGrain Cheerios...they taste great! and with the slight difference in nutritional value (calories, sugar) I think it's well worth the switch. But if you like regular cheerios no problem then maybe you should stick with it, don't try to fix what's not broken. But variety keeps a dieter on check...I don't see any reason why you could have both.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    If you like the regular cheerios they are for sure the better choice. I personally don't like them at all but do like the multigrain. I think the little difference in calories, etc. is still way better than most other cereals out there.
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    Sometimes you have to also look at the amount of sugars foods have in them. 4g of sugar is equal to 1 tsp. If I remember correctly, regular Cheerios only has 1g of sugars and Multi Grain has somewhere around 8g maybe? That would mean that if you ate one serving of regular you are getting almost no hidden sugars in them but Multi Grain has the equivalent of 2 tsp of sugar added per serving. Would you be adding that much sugar to regular Cheerios to sweeten them? It is important to remember that your body will convert sugar to fat and store it. Really, your best bet would be to have old fashioned or steel cut oats with some stevia.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Options
    If you've got the time, I'll share a breakfast secret that has helped me reach my goals - and tasted good. I alternate two main meals ...sometimes I'll eat one of them for weeks at a time for breakfast, and other times alternate everyday. Get used to eating these two, and ONLY eat these two. Vacation time, hungover, late - eat one of these, no exceptions! No pancakes, no sausage, eat one of these!

1. McHealthy Muffin: This is a 100 Cal Whole Wheat Sandwich round, with 1.5 servings of egg beaters (I use Kirkland Sig's), slice of canadian bacon x3 (60 cal), and a slice of 2% cheese of your choice. This comes in around 280 calories, tastes great, very quick (get a $10 Omelet Ease mini pan - takes me 4 min to make). If you want more details on how to make it, let me know.

2 . Protein Puck Oatmeal: About once a month, I get my ingredients together and create these. They are rolled oats, dried fruits of choice (typically prunes and apples), vanilla protein powder, oat bran, flaxseed (ground) and sunflower seeds. I use a muffin tin to create 300 calorie 'Pucks' of these, and keep them in the freezer. Throw one in a saucepan with a cup of water, boil for 5 minutes and you have a great hot cereal that you know exactly whats in it. It's a bit sweet and great blend of protein and carbs with plenty of fiber.

These two meals kicked off my day for 98% of the past 5 months. With intense workouts, and watching my other food, I'm down to about 11% bodyfat. So, boot the cheerios, and try something new!
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did have a quick read side-by-side of the nutrition facts of both, and IMO it really looks like you have to know what you're more interested in adding to your diet. Multi-grain by far has more vitamins, for example, but regular has much less sugar. Anyway, good stuff. :n) I think I'll probably alternate. (I don't ever add sugar to my cereal btw. Eww! LOL)

HawkeyeGuy, thanks for the breakfast ideas! Awesome!