Gym

Options
I try to go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour to an hour&half. I do the folowing:
15-20min cross trainer level 4
10-15min stair climber (i think thats what it i scalled) level 4/5
10-15min tredmill level 5.5 graidient 5.
Bike 10min level3
Leg press reps 3x 15, weight 40
Abductor 3x15, weight 30
Adductor 3x15, weight 30
Abs 3x15 cruches
chest press 3x15 weight 20

Do you think there is any think else i can add in to this rountine so i can see more improvement

Replies

• mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I try to go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour to an hour&half. I do the folowing:
    Bike 10min level3
    Abductor 3x15, weight 30
    Adductor 3x15, weight 30
    Abs 3x15 cruches

Do you think there is any think else i can add in to this rountine so i can see more improvement

Get rid of leg press and replace it with squats much better for your legs and whole body in general.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Split your Cardio and your weight lifting days.

Cardio before weight lifting is counter productive as you deplete the Glycogen stores in your muscles.

However you need to provide more information as to your goals when on the gym etc...
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:
    1. Do weights before cardio
    2. Scrap your weights routine and try compound lifts instead (StrongLifts, Starting Strength)
    3. Don't jump cardio machines. Pick one for the day and stick with it.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

What is you goal?
  • __RANDY__
    Options
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump on this thread...

Thanks for the advice re doing weights before cardio.

I always do my cardio first too as I saw it as my warm up too?

How would you guys warm up before lifting then? Just start with a lighter weight?
  • __RANDY__
    Options
    How would you guys warm up before lifting then? Just start with a lighter weight?

You can warm up however you like.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio first as well. I hope it's not counter-productive, but at 3:30 AM, I feel like I've got to get the blood moving before I lift anything.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When you say "see more improvement", what exactly do you mean? It may be your workout that needs attention, may be your diet, or both.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I warm up with either a mile run, a high incline walk, out jumping rope. Then i do a dynamic stretchingroutine that includes jumping jacks, bw squats, lunges, and push ups.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I usually start with just a few minutes of cardio-based warm-up. (Running in place, jumping jacks, etc). Then I do some stretches before starting my weight lifting routine. I also do warm-up sets with lighter weights, I probably don't have to worry about that too much since I'm new to lifting and my personal best is so wussy, but I just want to make sure I don't injure myself. Hope that helps! :)

Also, some people mentioned splitting cardio and weight days. I don't really do that, but I always do the cardio last. Generally only about 15-20 minutes at the end of my workout. I also do cardio on my "off" days some times though, so I guess I split it a little. I was watching a video with Jamie Eason and she said that you should never do cardio first, because it will negatively affect your lifting, but doing lifting first won't negatively affect your cardio. Though I gotta say, on leg day, sometimes I don't believe her. :p
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Bike 10min level3
    Abductor 3x15, weight 30
    Adductor 3x15, weight 30
    Abs 3x15 cruches

According to your profile you want to be "toned" with "no wobbly behind". Toning is building muscle so if that's your goal reduce the cardio and do more strength work, preferably with free weights, including plenty of compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, over head press and bench press. Don't be afraid to lift heavy, you won't get bulky.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Around 3 minutes running/cycling/rowing etc. would be enough to get the muscles warmed up enough to do strength work. After those three minutes or so, do a bit of light stretching (never stretch cold muscles) then go into your strength work. If you really want to do cardio too, do it after the strength training. Around 30 minutes would be plenty of cardio.
  • F1uffy123
    Options

I usually start with just a few minutes of cardio-based warm-up. (Running in place, jumping jacks, etc). Then I do some stretches before starting my weight lifting routine. I also do warm-up sets with lighter weights, I probably don't have to worry about that too much since I'm new to lifting and my personal best is so wussy, but I just want to make sure I don't injure myself. Hope that helps! :)

Also, some people mentioned splitting cardio and weight days. I don't really do that, but I always do the cardio last. Generally only about 15-20 minutes at the end of my workout. I also do cardio on my "off" days some times though, so I guess I split it a little. I was watching a video with Jamie Eason and she said that you should never do cardio first, because it will negatively affect your lifting, but doing lifting first won't negatively affect your cardio. Though I gotta say, on leg day, sometimes I don't believe her. :p

Thank you! Cardio for me is cycling (spin class mostly) so yes after a leg day I think I agree with you! haha
  • F1uffy123
    Options

Around 3 minutes running/cycling/rowing etc. would be enough to get the muscles warmed up enough to do strength work. After those three minutes or so, do a bit of light stretching (never stretch cold muscles) then go into your strength work. If you really want to do cardio too, do it after the strength training. Around 30 minutes would be plenty of cardio.

Thank you! I will swap it around next time i go!

Thanks again
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yeah, there are six things you're missing.