Protein ????

Options
I'm seen to go over my daily protein allowance is this ok?

Replies

• skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yea it should be fine, depends what your goals are as well, im aiming to add some muscle and get lean and aim for 170g protien a day but most days its normally around 200g :) just dont go above fats and you will be fine :) hope this helps
  • debbie6868
    Options
    Yeah thanks also do I really need to enter workouts in the my profile page as it changes as in always do more than that
  • charlottefairbairn
    Options
    Yep - the macronutrients are there for a guide and you can change them if you are following a more protein heavy diet. One thing though - keep drinking lots of water if you are taking in a lot of protein, as your kidneys need it to flush through :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have been doing plenty of research on this, and it now seems that many studies are supporting this, and that the meat/dairy & supplement industry have been grossly over-estimating the amount of protein needed daily.

Even the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) - an association which gets sponsorships and funding by the supplement industry announced this :

The RDA (recommended dietary allowance) for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight of adults (or roughly 0.36 grams per lb of body weight). Or I have also seen advised that women need at least 46 grams of protein per day, and men need at least 56 grams of protein per day (to avoid deficiency).

NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) recommends that for active people ,endurance and strength training, a higher intake is advised at around 0.4-0.6 per lb of bodyweight (and up to 0.8g/lb bw for full time athletes).
    *Note that most of these “body weights” for calculating protein are more based on “ideal” (or even “fat free”) weight.

I have had many trainers push the 1-2 grams per lb. (not even lean body weight), and thats just insane. Our bodies apparently can't even absorb more than 20-30 grams per meal. This would make sense, when we have excess nutrients that the body doesn't need or can't use, they are excreted. Why is protein different?

Learning this has saved me from double scooping my protein powder, and making it last 2-3 times as long, while still achieving my goal.

Bottom line: going over won't hurt you, but don't try too hard to hit an insane amount anyway. Many people will eat 200+ grams a day when most is being "flushed" out and wasted.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets 

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation