When you reach your goal. Should I add more cals?!!

Options
Here is the thought. I have been eating 1500-1600 cals a day, lost about 10 lbs. Almost reached my goal, pretty happy with myself now. I'm just wondering if I will add more cals as MFP suggests for maintaining my weight, am I going to gain? My body is used to certain amount of food by now...
Any thoughts are appretiated!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I recently went on maintanance calories and worried about that as well. So far, I have stayed at my goal and even lost another pound, even though I have gone over my calories quite a few days! :blushing:
    I have found that I am hungrier now that I am on maintanance too. Kinda weird, but I am going to stick with it. I figure MFP knows better than me.:laugh:
    Does anyone out there have suggestions??
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I am no where near my goal weight lol but I was also wondering about this
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes you should add more, but not all at once. Try increasing your calories by 100 per day for a week then another 100/day the following week, keep up this trend until you are at your maintenance caloric intake. This way you wont shock your system with an extra 500 cals per day all at once. Good luck and congrats.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would gradually add more calories to see what works for your level of activity. It's not an exact science, ya know?
  • Pinksapphire74
    Options
    My trainer has told me to find where your RMR is (that is your Resting Metabolic Rate) there are free websites to help you. Mine is about 1400 cals a day, but I exercise 40 to 60 minutes a day and am pretty active. I only eat the 1400 cals no more and I average a weight lose of about 3 to 5 pounds a week if I stick with it. I would not raise my cals unless you stop losing weight, my trainer has told me as long as I am losing and eating my RMR I am getting what my body needs and not over eating or under eating. So I would not raise my cal intake, besides you do not want to be eating more than 2000 cals ever. Hope this helped. Here is a website to check out. http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    Yes, you should eat more calories when you're on maintenance. You can change your settings and mfp will calculate how many calories you should have.
    Congratulations for reaching your goals!!
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    Thank you everyone!:flowerforyou: I was thinking the same thing about adding them gradually. And it should be healthy calories anyway.
    But it is so weird. Yesterday I ate around 1500 cal and I felt like I over ate. But this morning I had a loss of 0.5 lbs!

BTW my BMR is 1288 cal! But when I change my goals for maintanance, it showes me that I should eat around 1800 cals a day! It seems like a lot!:ohwell:
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Once I hit about my goal weight, I switched my goals to losing 1/2 lb per week which increased my calorie intake a bit but not so drastically. So far so good. I have been doing that for the last few weeks and it helps counteract any indulgences I allow myself while still maintaining the hard work I've put in :)
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    Once I hit about my goal weight, I switched my goals to losing 1/2 lb per week which increased my calorie intake a bit but not so drastically. So far so good. I have been doing that for the last few weeks and it helps counteract any indulgences I allow myself while still maintaining the hard work I've put in :)

Now my goal now IS 1/2 lbs a week. I loose faster though...:noway: