It's confirmed, I'm skinny fat and now I need help

Options
I've used online calculators to work out my body fat % but as they vary so wildly I decided to take up the offer of having my body fat % measured at my gym. The online calculators have ranged between 17% and 25% for me which I thought was okay and until now I thought I was doing okay. Since Aug last year I've lost 10kg which puts me at where I want to be in weight with a BMI of 19.7. In Sept last year I started running and in Nov last year I started strength training. Here's what my typical week looks like:

5 x week - walk with dog between 40-60 minutes, usually includes hills and brisk so gets me out of breath
3-4 x week - running - avg run around 5km but sometimes shorter at a quicker pace or longer at a slower pace
2-3 x week - strength training: 10-12 reps aiming for 3 sets: Squats (2 x 5kg dumbbells), Lunges (2 x 3kg dumbbells), Assisted pull ups (20kg off my body weight so moving 30kg), Press ups, Crunches (holding 8kg medicine ball), Leg lifts, Vertical row (20kg), Tricep presses (5kg dumbbell), Standing shoulder presses (2 x 4kg dumbbells)
3-4 x week - pilates to help with flexibility

The measurement today for body fat % came in at 33.4%! That's a lot higher than I thought it would be, I have no idea what it was when I first started so I guess it's possible I've made progress but that seems very high to me. I asked how I can go about reducing that and was advised to do HIIT with my cardio/running and to use lighter weights but higher reps with the strength training - aiming for 15 reps. The latter seems to go against all the advice here and I'm reluctant to do that.

Other data was that I should eat around 1800 cals a day for my activity level, I've been at around 1500 to 1600 cals a day and maintaining weight with that - he said that was fine and no need to eat more. My food diary is open if anyone needs to look at it. I need to drink more water as my result was at the bottom end of where hydration should be - I know I don't drink enough water.

I need advice about what to do with strength training, do I keep where I'm at or reduce the weight and increase the reps up to 15 as was suggested? With the activity I'm doing now will my body fat % improve over time or do I need to overhaul what I'm doing.

I'm still in shock with that result, that feels like a very high % :(

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    first and foremost, *kitten* the numbers. Who cares what a stupid % is ?? Go by how you feel or look in the mirror.

Secondly, the weights. lift HEAVY!! Try to be able to barely squeeze 6-8 reps out. You'll damage all kinds of muscle (in a good way) and guess what gets burned to help you recover!!!??? THATS RIGHT!!!! them damn calories, that's what!!!!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'd cut back on the running/cardio, dropping it down to maybe twice a week if you don't wat to stop it altogether.

Secondly increase the weights you're using. Lift heavy with lower reps. Push yourself and you'll be amazed how much your body is capable of lifting.

Thirdly, I would suggest eating at TDEE (maintenance) and focusing on recomposition rather than losing more weight. You may even want to eat at a surplus to increase muscle growth.

Also, put the scale away and change your focus to measurements and strength goals. You may well gain scale weight as your LBM increases but you will likely still be dropping fat and inches as everything tightens up.

Lift, eat, repeat.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Drop cardio to 3x/week, tops, and make sure you lift 3x/week. AND LIFT HEAVY. No more pink dumbbells :wink:
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'd cut back on the running/cardio, dropping it down to maybe twice a week if you don't wat to stop it altogether.

Secondly increase the weights you're using. Lift heavy with lower reps. Push yourself and you'll be amazed how much your body is capable of lifting.

Thirdly, I would suggest eating at TDEE (maintenance) and focusing on recomposition rather than losing more weight. You may even want to eat at a surplus to increase muscle growth.

Also, put the scale away and change your focus to measurements and strength goals. You may well gain scale weight as your LBM increases but you will likely still be dropping fat and inches as everything tightens up.

Lift, eat, repeat.

^ this. Friend helloitsdan and heybales (he has spreadsheets for TDEE and what not that you can fill out)

I was doing the same thing, and I was skinny fat. I'm not goal, but I'm getting there.

Also, take a look at this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    It has all you need in one place.

Good luck!!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Lift, eat, repeat.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^ Get out the heavy weights and eat plenty of wholesome food!
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that you are going to get all sorts of suggestions, some you should probably ignore and others that you can pick and choose from.

My advice, which comes from experience practicing with my own body, is to lift HEAVY. I am currently doing New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, which is one of multiple lifting programs aimed at increasing strength and total body recomposition for women. I know that for me personally, I only started to shape my body and get the kind of lean look that I was looking for when I started putting strength training and HIIT workouts into my exercise regimen. I will never go back to being a cardio bunny.

Good luck, and you seem like you have the right mindset!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Get re tested using a Bod Pod.

If you're over 30% I'm a piece of Artic Roll...

ETA: I would drop some cardio and incorporate a couple of sessions of resistance training though couple with good diet. It will lean you out nicely.
  • rachl809
    rachl809 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I have a high BF % (31%) and a BMI of 22.6 (normal). I weigh 128 (depending on the day) at 5'4". I am pushing through p90X right now, and this really helped. Trying hard to maintain high protein in my daily intake, but thinking maybe I should increase from the 3 lb weights I normally use.

Thank you for posting, and you aren't alone. Sorry I don't have anything more insightful to add! :)
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of weight to lose but what I can say is I think you got some great advice here. At some point this is and was mental game for you and all of us some more than others I am the one on the scale all the time and when I get my 100 within this year or later if Gods willing. I would be all caught up with numbers too possibly. After reading tons of stories the weigh portion becomes very important... celebrate your victory thus far an leave the numbers alone. They will set you back...Weight traiing is probably your key
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The measurement today for body fat % came in at 33.4%! That's a lot higher than I thought it would be, I have no idea what it was when I first started so I guess it's possible I've made progress but that seems very high to me.
    It's also possible that it's wrong. I was once at a health fair and got my body fat% tested by two different professionals using two different, yet highly reputable methods. Like you, I was shocked after the first test. If you want the most accurate method, get tested using the water displacement method. If you can't, or don't want to, spend that much money on it, get your own calipers. Over time, you get more consistent readings and those are most likely pretty close to accurate.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You have no muscle mass.

Do your best to try to get bulky and your issues will sort themselves out.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The measurement today for body fat % came in at 33.4%!

how did you get it measured? Some ways are more accurate than others, and I'd advise getting it measured in two or three different ways to make sure. Be sure that that really is your body fat percentage first, especially if you're using the katch mcardle formula to calculate your calories (because this is based on body fat percentage)
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    They used a device where electrodes are attached to wrist and ankle, doing a quick Google search I think it's called Bioelectrical impedance analysis. Thank you for all the replies, I still feel pretty rubbish about the results but am going to soldier on and continue with increasing the weights for strength training. I can't really limit my running too much but will try to focus on strength training more and make sure it's done three times rather than twice a week, maybe drop one of my runs during the week. I don't feel comfortable about losing any more weight (I'm 50kg (110lbs) and 5'3"), I feel like I shouldn't be any lighter than I already am but some more weight in the form of muscle mass won't do any harm and is what I'd like to achieve as I want to get stronger rather than thinner/lighter.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    All the measurement methods are estimates, including bod pod and water submersion (although they are generally believed to be the most accurate). Just find a measure that is convenient for you to use, and stick with it. Focus on the change in your numbers over time rather than their absolute value.

Weight lifting is great for building muscle mass but I would hate for you to take all this advice to give up running, because you obviously love it. Picture marathon runners - although they are not heavily muscled they probably have some of the lowest body fat % around.

#skinnystrong
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I feel like I shouldn't be any lighter than I already am but some more weight in the form of muscle mass won't do any harm and is what I'd like to achieve as I want to get stronger rather than thinner/lighter.
    Sounds like a good plan. I run (it clears my head) and work out with weights too.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    They used a device where electrodes are attached to wrist and ankle, doing a quick Google search I think it's called Bioelectrical impedance analysis.

I wouldn't worry about it then. BIA devices are notorious for giving distorted readings, particularly due to hydration levels.

You are not skinny fat and your not 33% BF. I'm not just saying this to make you feel better.

Keep with your routine, keep with a good diet, keep with your balance of weights and cardio and you will look even better than you do now...which is pretty good already ;)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    They used a device where electrodes are attached to wrist and ankle, doing a quick Google search I think it's called Bioelectrical impedance analysis.

I wouldn't worry about it then. BIA devices are notorious for giving distorted readings, particularly due to hydration levels.

^^^^ this

go to Leigh Peele's blog (sorry I don't remember the address off the top of my head but you should find it if you google her name) - that has a really good page and a free report about estimating your body fat percentage. I'd recommend using two or three methods. Personally, I use circumference calculators, calipers and visual estimates. The exact number is hard to pinpoint, but they are very good for tracking change in the right direction. in your OP you mentioned that other measures estimate between 17 and 25%, I'd say the truth is probably somewhere in that range and you got a dodgy reading from the BIA device. If you don't have any visible muscle definition, the true value is probably around 20-25%, if you have visible definition the true value is probably closer to 17%. See Leigh Peele's blog and report for a lot more very good information about body fat percentage.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Get re tested using a Bod Pod.

If you're over 30% I'm a piece of Artic Roll...

This. Calipers are terrible and in my experience, gyms tend to say you're bigger than you are on first measure so when you come back to check your progress they can give you a lower number.

ETA: I see it was BIA. That's even worse than calipers.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Um....is that abdomen pic in your profile you? If so, there's ZERO chance your BF is that high.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Um....is that abdomen pic in your profile you? If so, there's ZERO chance your BF is that high.

Yes all the photos are me. I'm going to speak to my gym trainer tomorrow, he wasn't there today so someone else did the test really hope it is an error.

On school run right now but will read up on those links when I'm home again, thank you everyone for all your replies I really am grateful for all the reassurance and advice x