i pigged out last night and gained 1 1/2 lbs??

Options
gypsy102
gypsy102 Posts: 14 Member
OK, so I ate a whole bag of popcorn and had ice cream last night (around 11pm). I've been so good for months, I figured, what the heck? So I weighed myself this morning (my first mistake) and I gained 1 1/2 lbs!!!

Is this only from eating so bad last night? I exercised yesterday and have been good otherwise.

Am I being too obsessive - I weigh myself just about every day.

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It's probably retained water from all the salt that's in bagged popcorn. Drink lots of water and you'll flush that out in no time!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    popcorn = very salty

You're holding onto water weight from the sodium.... drink lots today, it'll come off very quickly.
  • gypsy102
    Options
    thank you so much!! I am new to this, didn't even think of all the salt in the popcorn! I'll be waterlogged by the end of the day.... :tongue:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I doubt you pooped it all out yet. I mean, if you drink a gallon of water you would be 10 pounds heavier - it doesn't mean you gained 10 pounds
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Also it's best to weigh yourself after fasting...sleep is the natural way to fast for 8-12 hours. But if you're eating at 11 pm and weighing at 8 am you still may have some of the digestion gases flowing which can add 1-2lbs.
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Popcorn= salt= water gain

DO NOT weigh yourself everyday!!! It will drive you insane.

Weigh yourself only once a week (that's hard to do I know), I weigh myself on Monday mornings and put the scale away until next week. Your body fluxuates everyday, you may be up a pound today, down 2 lbs tomorrow and up 2 lbs the next day... it will drive you insane!!

Getting on only once a week, much less stress... if it;s down GREAT!! If it's up, then think about how to modify your food and exercises to make it go back down.

Two of my MFP friends gave me this advice, and I share it with everyone.

Losing weight and eating healthy are HARD when you're starting out... don't let the scale discourage you and drive you NUTS!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can nibble on cucumber, it's a natural diuretic, drink water or plain green or white tea. The latter two also count toward your water quota if you don't add anything to the tea.

Remember it's next to impossible to gain that much fat from calories overnight.

151232.png
  • gypsy102
    Options
    Thank you for that info - you're right, impossible to gain that much fat overnight..... I have to stop weighing myself so much, it's becoming ridiculous. Maybe I'll cut down to every other day, then every 2, etc......
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday just to see the way it can fluctuate and only concentrate on the number when it's my "weigh day." So you can weigh every day but don't concern yourself with it.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I weigh every day, but it honestly just helps me understand how my body responds to food. I've had problems with sodium for the past 5 days or so and my weight has been up that whole time. I doubt I'm actually up because I haven't actually gone over on calories at all and have been exercising my butt off.

Also, if you eat late at night it's sometimes hanging around in the morning, lol.

From weighing every day i've also learned that if I eat beef for dinner (which I rarely do) I'm up at least a pound in the morning. Not because I gained weight but because beef sits very heavy on my stomach. Might be the same for you with the popcorn (since it's starchy).

If you use it to help educate yourself about your body and the way it responds to food it's not bad. Pick one day a week every week to actually record and obsess about THAT number, lol.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I read a really long time ago, that it takes 3-4 days for a eating binge to show on the scale. If this is true, then you would not see a weight gain immediately. You are seeing water gain this early.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    water weight for sure!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I read a really long time ago, that it takes 3-4 days for a eating binge to show on the scale. If this is true, then you would not see a weight gain immediately. You are seeing water gain this early.

I have read that too, and that it can be as much as 3-4 WEEKS, which is why people may see a drop after a week of overeating, or a gain after a couple of weeks of being "good".
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you ..... over the past few days I have fallen off track and gained 3 pounds :angry:

Today is my day of starting back fresh and doing things right! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • sunnikim
    sunnikim Posts: 30
    Options
    I did the same thing last night (Papa John's pizza & ice cream!), but am going no where near the scale today! I'm loading up on the water for the second day in a row (I should everyday anyway) to help flush out all the sodium that's been in my diet the last few days. I'm learning my body definitely responds to high levels of sodium in a horrible way.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I would say obsessive.

Popcorn is a good thing, low in calories really and good source of fiber.

Not sure about how much ice cream you had but I would say obsessive. You eating the night before wont show on the scale the next morning.
  • paulreese
    paulreese Posts: 10
    Options
    I would definately say obsessive. During the night your digestion slows what you saw on the scale was the food you ate and water retention. I would suggest that along with your scale you invest in a pair of body fat calipers as the combination of the two will give you a much more accurate picture of your body composition which is much more important than your weight.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I would definately say obsessive. During the night your digestion slows what you saw on the scale was the food you ate and water retention. I would suggest that along with your scale you invest in a pair of body fat calipers as the combination of the two will give you a much more accurate picture of your body composition which is much more important than your weight.

Body fat calipers. I really need to invest in that myself. Good idea.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I stayed under my calories for 12 days. If I have calculated right, that means I can eat again on May 30.