For all you LEAN people out there...

Options
So, I want to be lean. Tall task, I know. I have always been into fitness...I'm a runner, but I really would like to be leaner. I know the leaner I am the better my runs are, and obviously, the better and happier I will feel in my clothes.

How the HECK do you do it? Can someone take a look at my food/exercise diary and give me some pointers, please.

Whopping THANK YOU!

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    this is basically my answer to everything, mainly because it damn well IS THE ANSWER to EVERYTHING as far as I'm concerned...

Incorporate a 'fast day' into your week!!!

You're body spends all day digesting the food you're eating, whether it's healhty food or bad, doesn't matter. It's being used to fuel your body!!! when it doesnt have food it turns to your FAT STORES!! The STUBBORN FAT!!!!

if you can't handle a whole day of it, try fasted cardio!! workout on an empty stomach for the same reason as above.

Those who eat before training are using the food so power their exercise. Why when you can USE FAT TO POWER IT!!!

give it a try and turn your body into a FAT BURNNG MACHINE instead of a carb/sugar/food burning machine!!!

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yvette22Hernandez
    Yvette22Hernandez Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've done IF before...I have to admit I don't mind it. Usually, I have done it after like a big steak and sweet potato dinner, which usually has enough calories to hold me over for 12-14 hours. Problem is, when I trained for my marathon, I was constantly carb refueling. And now that I'm not, my body still thinks I'm on that regimen. Plus, I started a new teaching job this year, so food has been a source of comfort as I'm trying to figure out my new schedules and when I can eat before I end up going like 5 hours without a meal.

I hope to lessen my carb and nuts/seeds intake; for some reason, that combined with dairy always makes me bloat and bulk up. It's all too complicated sometimes...guess I'm just trying to find my groove again.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    can't see diary
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    IF works for some but doesn't work for everyone and IMO. It's not the only way. Can't see diary.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i used to skip breakfast and eat high protein foods for lunch and dinner
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Diary is closed.

For 90% of us, the answer is always more effort and more patience. If you're not where you want to be, work harder and be more patient with the results.
  • Yvette22Hernandez
    Yvette22Hernandez Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Should be opened now, sorry and thanks.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    Start weight lifting! It has done wonders for me. My BF% went from about 26% to about 21% and I'm on my way to getting abs soon (I hope!)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    this is basically my answer to everything, mainly because it damn well IS THE ANSWER to EVERYTHING as far as I'm concerned...

Incorporate a 'fast day' into your week!!!

You're body spends all day digesting the food you're eating, whether it's healhty food or bad, doesn't matter. It's being used to fuel your body!!! when it doesnt have food it turns to your FAT STORES!! The STUBBORN FAT!!!!

if you can't handle a whole day of it, try fasted cardio!! workout on an empty stomach for the same reason as above.

Those who eat before training are using the food so power their exercise. Why when you can USE FAT TO POWER IT!!!

give it a try and turn your body into a FAT BURNNG MACHINE instead of a carb/sugar/food burning machine!!!

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!
    Total myth.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html

You're body turns to your fat stores 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, regardless of whether you have food in your digestive tract or not. You are ALWAYS burning fat, and burning glucose/glycogen, every minute of the day.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely didn't need to fast to get lean...

I try to eat 1-1.5 times my lean body mass in grams of protein a day as a minimum, 0.35 times my body weight in fats as a minimum, and find the balance in carbs (THANK YOU PEOPLE IN THE EAT, TRAIN, PROGRESS GROUP!!!!)

It's really, REALLY working for me.

I also do combinations of strength training and high intensity interval training. :D
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    Insanity and daily juicing works for me. I am also a fan of probiotics.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd say add in weight lifting. I added it in & am at 16% body fat now without even trying to lean out.

ETA: I also eat more primal. 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% fat. It takes time to "retrain" your body to run off fat but it gets used to it. It would impact your performance until you get used to it though.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Since everyone is giving their goto answers-- boxing. No reason-- I just like boxing.
    Seriously, tough, you look pretty leanish. You're probably looking to lose 3-5 lbs of fat. Try upping your protein and your deficit and decreasing your carbs for a few weeks. That should just about do it.