My Story.

Options
About 10 months ago, at the young age of 35 I was 340 pounds, back pain, fatigue and drinking about a 12 pack of coke a day. I didn't watch what I ate, and felt miserable. I also hadn't been to a Dr. in about 10 years. My girlfriend convinced me I needed to see a Dr. and while things could have been worse, I was put under Dr.'s orders to walk every day. 15 minutes one way, fifteen minutes the other.

It sucked.

The first month was pain, and frustration and anger. I was angry at my Dr. for pushing me to do this, I was angry at my girlfriend for encouraging me to do this, I was angry at those damn squirrels who chattered at me as I sloughed past them.

But mostly I was angry at myself.

I have never been athletic. I played sports when I was younger (because that's what young suburban kids did.) but I come from the Nintendo generation. I spent most of my preteen years through my 20's playing video games and generally not exercising. a I also have a medical condition called Hypothyroidism. Basically when I hit Puberty my thyroid shut off. If you don't know, your Thyroid is what fuels your metabolism and thus contributes to your weight.
I ballooned up to 360 at my heaviest. Being 5'7" it was as if a large basketball had grown appendages and waddled down the road. But enough about the old me, I refuse to dwell on him and give him any more power over me.

After the first month, it still sucked but I was angry less. my body hurt a little less and I started eating healthier. Not much, but a little. then one day a few months in I realized I had walked almost five miles and I didn't hurt. At all.

Fast forward to now, my longest walk has been 10 miles. I have ran my first 5k, I jogged a complete mile, I cut the Coke out of my life, and most of the junk, I'm not angry anymore, I jog, I do yoga and am taking Fencing lessons. Still not an athlete but damnt I'm active.

Oh, and I've lost about 60 pounds. (As a Point of reference I tell people I've lost 240 sticks of butter.)

I still mess up, I still have bad days, days where I don't care, where I eat the wrong things and refuse to exercise. but I realized this isn't a race, it's a journey. One that is going to take me the rest of my life. But now, hopefully it will be a longer journey than it was a year ago.

Replies

• IamLoriJ
    IamLoriJ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss but more on your lifestyle change! It really is all the little changes that add up to a bigger and better life! Great job!
  • blouitr
    blouitr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great job...thanks for sharing your story. You are well on your way!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job! So many of us really just need to *start moving* and fight through the initial discomfort to discover that it really isn't so bad. I know that's what I needed :)

Also? WOMBAT! I'm not sure there is a better word in the world. It's like a power word.
  • Relouw
    Relouw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are so right. It is a journey and one well worth taking. Keep up the good work.
  • TRexMex
    TRexMex Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story!! Just goes to show that starting small has big results!
    Good for you, congrats on all your hard work! It has paid off.
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great story, thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! you are doing great!
    Good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Amazing story!! You've got the right attitude and I know you will continue your success story! CONGRATS!
  • hinzee4
    hinzee4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! Inspirational!!
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story, and I'm sure many can relate to. Congratulation on your success!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    inspirational, keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and amazing commitment! Keep it up and Congratulations!
  • XAVTAY2
    Options
    Congrats..slow steady and moving!!So proud of you on your weightloss so far
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!