Is to much protien bad?

Options
I always seem to be going over my protien by a pretty good amount. When I first tries dieting I was taking D4 Thermal Shock pills thats a metabolism booster and appetite suppresor.The guy told me to eat my body weight in protien ie 206lbs=206g of protien...Thats extremely hard to do unless thats all u eat. Now I'm eating better but I'm always going over....The goal from MFP is 73 and I average between 100-150g. Bad, Ok, good or it doesn't matter...I need help please

Replies

• RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    how much do you workout?? thats matters a lot!:)
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    I do an elliptical a minimum of 35 mins a day. Then I get about 1 hour or weight lifting in before I go to work. Then at work I do about 1-2 miles worth of walking in 8 hours
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You seem to workout quite a bit. I also overdo my protein allowance (should be 60 and I'm usually at 100g-110g). This is the recipe that I think my body need to be optimal and it works well for me. Having said that, I'm not an expert at all. Just going by what feels right for my body.

Having said that I've heard that too much protein (as in way too much) can be hard on one of your internal order (don't remember if it was the liver or kidney).
  • SpencerR
    Options
    Yea I was told that last night by a guy I work with.......I do know you need protien to build muscle and to keep your body from taking it out of your muscles....I'm not going over by any extreme but it is over and I wanted to make sure it wasn't bad
  • nleosh
    nleosh Posts: 8
    Options
    couple of things, Spencer. Protein can be hard on your kidneys if you eat too much of it and have any kidney problems. The elliptical is great for burning calories and the weight lifting will help you burn all day long, but ff you have listed your job as anything other than sedentary, you cannot count the timel you walk as exercise, otherwise your calorie counts will be artificially high. Most lifters, etc go skimpy on carbs and see them as evil. Your body needs them for energy and if you skimp on them, you set up a situation where you may be burning your own muscle no matter how much you try and build it.

Finally, not evryone who gives you advice is knowledgeable enough to do that. Consult a dietician or use the internet to find out how your body metabolizes carbs, protein and fat and then use that information to help you set up a diet plan that will work for you.
  • SpencerR
    Options
    I don't count the time at work I let it go because my job changes all the time
  • monsalve2566
    Options
    The High protein diet has become one of the most popular diets around these days. The idea behind it is simple, no matter what your goals are, everyone can benefit from eating a high protein diet and eating high protein foods. Whether your goal is to increase muscle, gain weight and get big, lose weight and lose fat,.
    http://www.intense-workout.com/protein_diet.html
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I think too much of anything can be bad, but you're talking extreme values. I think for what you're doing, the best thing is to try it out for a bit, see where you end up....I don't think there's an exact science with this....and I'm in the same boat as you, where I end up higher for protein and haven't seen much of a difference. I'm actually trying to add more protein to my diet because I think that despite the percentages I still need more