Walking Dead Insight

Options
admanMike
admanMike Posts: 371 Member
Hey Walking Dead fans, i'd like your thoughts on a few things...

1. Why does Michone (sp?) hate / mistrust the governor so much? Even before she knew what he was really like she had it in for him.

2. Why does Rick mistrust Michone so much? She brought the baby formula to them, told them about Glen and Maggie, etc, yet RIck wants her gone.

Maybe i missed something or perhaps it is part of a larger point. What's your take?

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I can't stand Michone, haven't liked her from the beginning. I think she is just supposed to be really smart and perceptive, which has kept her alive, and tipped her off to the Governors evil. Rick doesn't trust anyone outside of his group because he's bat **** crazy.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think Rick has just gone insane and like the poster above me stated he just does not trust others outside of the group.

Also Michonne is badass! She just knew that something about him was fishy and her gut was right.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The she-doesn't-trust-anybody-nobody-trusts-her bit with Michonne is about one episode from getting stale. I'm worried this show may become a victim of its own success and start to drag out story lines for longevity.

Rick needs to be marignalized while he sorts through his illness (or doesn't). Seems they are setting up Tyreese to be the next moral center of the group. Of course, I thought they might have been going that route with Oscar.

I'm interested in seeing how they resolve the Merle/Daryl bit. Merle has become such a despised character that he is going to have to go out in a big way. However, will he go out in a final act of soul-saving redemption? Or will he go out in some supreme act of cowardly Merle-ness that finally makes Darly realize that his big brother may not be such a stand-up guy?
  • kloco
    kloco Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Rick is racist. He not only mistrusts Michone, but the prisoners when they first got to the prison and now the new group in the prison with them. He's going cray.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    I don't get the sense they are playing Rick as a racist. Michonne doesn't speak - so it's hard to crack that nut. I don't think I'd be willing to go open arms with a group of prisoners - esp. after their leader tried to kill me. Also, don't forget that Morgan is someone that Rick holds in high esteem (saved his life, keeps trying to reach him on the walkie-talkie).

I agree that Rick is clearly losing his grip on sanity.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I really don't think Rick is racist, remember Morgan and his son? Rick went to that spot every single day to search for them. The writers of the show may be a little racist however; since they can only have one main black character at a time it seems. But Rick? No, he's just insane.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think Rick is just pushing everybody away that is strong enough to cause harm to the group. Unfortunately, it's weakening the group when they should try to get stronger in order to stand up to the governor.

As far as Michone, she can just read people well. I usually can tell if I like/trust someone within 15 minutes of meeting someone. In the zombie apocalypse, if you get that "uh oh" feeling, it's better just to cut and run.
  • millerkiller81
    Options

1. Why does Michone (sp?) hate / mistrust the governor so much? Even before she knew what he was really like she had it in for him.

2. Why does Rick mistrust Michone so much? She brought the baby formula to them, told them about Glen and Maggie, etc, yet RIck wants her gone.

Maybe i missed something or perhaps it is part of a larger point. What's your take?

1.Not sure why Michonne immediately hated/didn't trust the Governor but she did have to kill her 2 zombie companions to try to prevent being captured by them after they had killed the people at the helicopter.

2. Rick is going crazy and doesn't really trust anyone, let alone someone who is a bad-*kitten* with a weapon. Plus she doesn't "open up" at all and doesn't really talk either. Based off of the time her and Andrea spent together Michonne knew about Rick and everyone yet NEVER bothered to tell them Andrea was at Woodbury or was nailing the Governor.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think that Michonne has trust issues in general and that is part of her whole problem. Before Andrea came to her who knows what she had gone through. And honestly, I got a creepy vibe from the Gov right from the beginning so I think she is right to mistrust him. He is nutso, as we all have seen.

My take on Rick is that he has tried for so long to protect those around him and he really just doesn't want that responsiblity anymore. He is going crazy. You saw last night how he freaked out when he saw Lori's ghost. He hasn't slept in who knows how long and all the strain and pressure and loss is wearing on him. Michonne is a hard nut to crack. She did them a solid by bringing the formula but she hasn't opened up very much about anything.

I am really looking forward to seeing how things progess from here on out. I think we are in for quite a show.

BTW. I hate that Darryl left with Merryl (sp). I hate it, but I don't think he's gone for good.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    One of the key lines last night was when Rick told Tyreese that he couldn't be responsible for them. Rick is wholly invested in the survival of the group and every death taxes a bit of his sanity - he knows that and is reluctant to take on more.
  • northfresh
    Options
    If you guys like graphic novels I would suggest checking out the walking dead... I found it to be faster paced and more violent/graphic than the show but also more enjoyable. Just sayin :)
  • millerkiller81
    Options

BTW. I hate that Darryl left with Merryl (sp). I hate it, but I don't think he's gone for good.

I couldn't believe he left with his stupid crazy brother. They have to bring him back into the storyline quickly though, he's too much of a fan favorite
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Rick has been put in charge of this groups survival and he is finding it hard to accept all the losses, losses he takes personally. So he doesn't want to add anymore people in, people he doesn't know so he doesn't know if they will further endanger the group. All he knows about Michone is that she led them to a dangerous town and she left the group to charge off on her own. That makes her a liability. He knows nothing about the new group and the last one tried to kill him - I would be suspicious too. I think he will lose his mind for a little while longer and then something will happen to snap him back into being the strong leader he is.

Michone has never trusted anyone so it stands to reason she wouldn't trust the governor or his town of morons to busy sipping the crazy cool-aide to stop and wonder about the morality of their actions. Seriously - gladiator fighting. Im actually not surprised Andrea fell for it. She likes things to be comfortable and she seems to attract the crazy.

I think Darryl is going to realize he misses the group and that Merle is a liability - family or not. Something will lead him back to the group, hopefully soon.
  • JeanDreamer51
    Options
    1. Michonne and Andrea were treated like prisoners immediately when Merle found them at the helicopter crash, leading her to put up her defenses. If they would have taken a more sympathetic approach, things might have gone differently. But his shady leadership raised her suspicions even more, rightfully so though since she found a lot of evidence against his character and his 'army'.
    2. Rick is treating Michonne the same way that he treats other outsiders. We, as viewers, see how much she is helping (baby formula) which is a huge step in communication for her because she's so closed off usually, but Rick doesn't know how she normally is, so he just thinks she's holding back entirely. It's good to see that she's letting her guard down with him though, and he's really going to need her after losing his mind last night.

And as a side note, I need Daryl back with the group...I miss his face already :( Merle is cracked and I hope he doesn't wear off on the new Daryl that has adapted to his new 'family'.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I think Rick has just gone insane and like the poster above me stated he just does not trust others outside of the group.

Also Michonne is badass! She just knew that something about him was fishy and her gut was right.

This! I love Michonne!
  • JeanDreamer51
    Options
    Im actually not surprised Andrea fell for it. She likes things to be comfortable and she seems to attract the crazy.

Oh my word, Andrea just kills me! Even after seeing the governor's 'torture chamber' of heads, his holed-up zombie daughter, and his intentions to kill her friends, she still stays with him! She asked Michonne 'what have you done' after discovering her all bloodied up and about to kill the governor, even though Michonne was almost killed in his torture chamber...as if Michonne was to blame? She could have fled Woodbury with Rick and the gang, but yet she stayed. She is seriously brain-washed! Whatever happened to the strong, gun-wielding Andrea that we were all beginning to tolerate?!?!
  • pnkpassion
    pnkpassion Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Rick is going bat *kitten* crazy..

And I don't understand why he dislikes Michonne so much, maybe because she is strong, different and can hold her own (I think she is tired of being on her own though) she needs some acceptance to soften her up a bit.
  • pnkpassion
    pnkpassion Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Im actually not surprised Andrea fell for it. She likes things to be comfortable and she seems to attract the crazy.

Oh my word, Andrea just kills me! Even after seeing the governor's 'torture chamber' of heads, his holed-up zombie daughter, and his intentions to kill her friends, she still stays with him! She asked Michonne 'what have you done' after discovering her all bloodied up and about to kill the governor, even though Michonne was almost killed in his torture chamber...as if Michonne was to blame? She could have fled Woodbury with Rick and the gang, but yet she stayed. She is seriously brain-washed! Whatever happened to the strong, gun-wielding Andrea that we were all beginning to tolerate?!?!

Andrea has been and continues to be BatSh!t crazy....Her character has always come off cooky and needy!! Was happier when she was left behind at the farm...her character to me is not interesting.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options

I think the writers are staying fairly true to form with Andrea (even though I don't care for it.) She did start siding with Shane at the farm and those two started conspiring for a coup against Rick's leadership. She is drawn to strength regardless of the moral code exhibited - in fact, she seems to consider a moral code as a sign of weakness (like Shane.)
  • kimberninja
    Options
    Truthfully, I cannot stand the actress they got to play Michonne - she drives me nuts! Totally ruined the character for me.

Yes, I think Darryl will see his brother for the jerk he is and end up having to kill him to save someone else - will go thru the whole moral dilemna thing because he's his brother, etc. They have been building up to that from the beginning.

Rick has just lost it. I don't think he is racist at all. He jsut needs time to heal from losing his wife, who he never got to tell how much he really loves her before she died and is forced to try to keep everyone else safe - yet he feels he can't because he couldn't even keep his pregnant wife safe. he is hurting, scared, and feels very inadequate.

Andrea needs to stop trying to find love with everyone that has a third leg and worry about taking care of herself. She is a head case! too bad, because when she actually thinks and acts for herself, she is pretty damned smart! Instead of trying to find someone to take care of her, she needs to take care of herself!

Ok, done ranting.