Working out and food

Options
I am just wondering what is the best time to work out /exercise? And when I should eat if it's before or after and how soon.

Replies

• CovaJoser
    Options
    It's up to you when you work out!

As for eating, that also depends on you. Some people eat an hour or so before an eat a post workout meal too. I don't like eating before I work out, specially if I'm doing cardio.fin out what works best for you. It'll take a while, but once you know, you'll know!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You will get many replies and many different ideas, do what is best for you and experiment. Me personally i usually eat about 1 hour before my run. If I run first thing in the morning then I dont eat anything.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Some people say the best time to work out is between 4pm and 6pm, when you're core temperature is at your highest. I however workout between 4am and 6am because I don't like waiting for weights at the gym. Honestly if it's the difference between working out and not...workout when you want to :)

As for eating, since I workout before work I'll usually eat a piece of fruit before my workout, within 10 minutes of me working out. Then a meal within an hour after. If you eat a meal before you workout however you should wait between 30 min to an hour to let your food digest.

Hope this helps.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I find if I eat too close to exercising, I get heartburn ... prolly all that jumping up and down. :-) In the past, though, if I worked out on an empty stomach I had low blood sugar issues. I'm sure there's a perfect time in there somewhere ... some folks are suggesting an hour beforehand. That sounds pretty reasonable.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise starting at 5 am and eat around 7:30 am. I honestly like it better that way since in my mind I've already made one huge accomplishment for the day by getting my training done. Everyone does it so differently, lol.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to find out what works for you. There are a million different answers to this because everyone is different. Personally, I prefer to work out about 30 minutes after breakfast (I have light ones). But, that doesn't happen when I work since I have to be to work at 5:30 am, in which case I will go straight from work to the gym, then eat dinner afterwards.

You have to find what works for you.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Welcome !

Not knowing your schedule, I'll just say that you need to experiment ...... find out what works for you .......

I hit the gym mostly after work ..... eating light before my workout ...... afterwards, chowing down (on mostly healthy stuff) with a clean conscience :drinker:

Have fun experimenting !
  • northfresh
    Options
    Everyone is different. My sister can't eat before a workout or else she'll be sick. I must eat before a workout or I'll get dizzy and ill. Try it both ways and find what works for you!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally personal prefence when, but from my experience, I was never consistant with excercising until I started going in the mornings before work!

I'm not a huge morning person, and NEVER thought I could be, but surprisingly it really wasn't that much more difficult to just wake up at 5am instead of 6...I'm still getting up early either way, and this way it just becomes part of my routine in the morning!

Plus your day is just off to a great start and it makes me want to eat right for the remainder of the day!

What I do, eating wise, for this routine is have a light snack (either granola bar or banana) before, and then another snack after (usually a yogurt).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Best time to work out: when its convenient for you

Best time to eat: when its convenient for you.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Eat when it's best for you. Sometimes eating makes people nauseous, others love eating before a workout because they feel more energetic. Try it different ways and decide what's better for you.
  • Dennish68
    Dennish68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Best time to work out: when its convenient for you

Best time to eat: when its convenient for you.

^^this...