casual exersice

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for any work out video's or something that would be easy to do, but effective? My boyfriend and I are looking to drop some lbs but neither of us are big into exercise. i work two jobs so i'm beat by the time i get home. he works later into the evening too.

We are looking to do something at home together in the evenings before supper. I was thinking Zumba because it is kind of fun.

we aren't looking to get "buff" or anything, but just help the weight drop off a little with our diet and be a little more in shape. He would ultimately like to drop his belly as that is the only part of him that is chubby.

Would like something that doesn't require floor work as we have uneven ceramic tile that hurt the knees like heck...

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My favorite casual exercise are the 16 ounce curl and the chip dip.
  • dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love all of Leslie Sansone's "walking" videos. Very good exercise but not high impact and enough variation that I don't get bored.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gaming console? Playstation, Wii and Xbox all have games like Dance Star or Wii Fit that are actually quite fun to play and don't feel like you are working hard at exercising, just at beating your partner at the score!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat better? Exercise isn't required to lose weight. If you don't like exercising, then don't, just eat better.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gaming console? Playstation, Wii and Xbox all have games like Dance Star or Wii Fit that are actually quite fun to play and don't feel like you are working hard at exercising, just at beating your partner at the score!

Wii Fit Plus is how I got started losing weight. Finding all the balloons on the Island Cycling got my legs is great shape for going on 60.
  • MissMandroid
    MissMandroid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I want to introduce you to Tiffany Rothe. A girlfriend first introduced me to her when I asked what she was doing that her waist looked like she had a corset on....no corset, just lots of Tiffany Rothe. She is amazing; none of her videos are more than 11 minutes, they instantly tone, and are fun.

My personal top three favorites for a total body tone are:
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_J8btnIEKQ
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7kcKvtcziI
    3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DYF0sLpFbQ
    *and the bikini abs one gets an honorable mention for making me feel like i know how to hula.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-VeGdQptQ
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I love all of Leslie Sansone's "walking" videos. Very good exercise but not high impact and enough variation that I don't get bored.

They have walking videos? I assume you do those inside? :smile: Wow, i didnt even know they had those.

I guess it depends on your idea of casual exercise? Hows the weather in your area? If its nice all the time hiking, biking or playing games like basketball/tennis sound like a lot of fun. If you cant get outside the suggestion of Dance games (Wii/Kinect) are a great suggestion. Your thoughts on Zumba sound good too. Although doing something like that is as intense as you want to make it. Meaning the more effort you put in, the harder it will be. So it may be a good option for you to buy something like that if you ever want to ramp up the intensity in the future. Just Zumba HARDER. :happy:
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Workout DVD's like Jillian Michael's are fantastic! And her 30 days shred is only 20 minutes per workout. Also, why not just take a walk around your neighbourhood? If it's cold, bundle up!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I second Leslie's dvd's! They are wonderful and I still do them! I just "boost" through a lot of it now to make it higher impact. But they are great for starting out because they are low impact. =)
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michael's DVDs..."30 Day Shred"..."Ripped in 30". They are 30 min. workouts with interval circuits. All you need is a set of hand weights (and that's even optional). She has a bunch of other DVDs, too, but those are my favorite. They are around $10 on Amazon.com
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The entire point of exercise is to put stress on your body and allow your body to adapt.

It's SUPPOSED to be uncomfortable.

Just try and be more active (i.e. go for a walk) if you're that against it.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE proponent for the Wii. Sports and Fitness are fun and create a good burn.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is awesome. I do it right now ever second day to tone (not get ripped) and try to do something else on the off days. Right now that is shoveling snow since we just got clobbered with a storm! Once I lose more weight I will do her workouts daily! But just going out for a brisk walk with hills is great if you can!
    Also look at doing a Body Pump or something similar. You two can do it together!
  • 04aAa01
    04aAa01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do Tae Bo 10 minute express videos with 10 different videos. They are quick and effective! Other than the abs workout none require any floor work.. I got it a Walmart.
  • Bvicritter
    Options
    Why don't you just eat better? Exercise isn't required to lose weight. If you don't like exercising, then don't, just eat better.

i don't eat terribly... in fact when i got sick a while back and was barely eating anything... i gained weight. miserable...

weather is great here... we live in the caribbean :) sorry for all you "snow" folk :) walking to me is just boring, plus i don't have the right shoes for it (flip flops are my life... can cant buy proper trainers around here). I used to go to curves when i lived in the "main land" and loved it. Wish there was one here, or even a gym for women but they are all (2 of them) dominated by men so not my cup of tea there either.

Are the Tae Bo 10 minute express the billy blanks ones??
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You could try biking, rollerblading, swimming, etc. You said you live in the Carribean. Do you live near a beach? Doing some fast walking on the beach can be good exercise as well.

Also, there are many workout videos available on YouTube for free.

I would also recommend trying pretty hard to find a decent pair of shoes that you could do some brisk walking in. I know you said it's hard to find, but I bet you could find some.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
  • Bvicritter
    Options
    Took the advise of the YouTube videos.... I did this one last night

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&layout=tablet&ipadtype=3&utcoffset=-240&v=r_J8btnIEKQ&oref=http://m.youtube.com/&has_verified=1

It was only 10 minutes and during the video the girl said "now don't expect to feel this tomorrow" ... Well I feel it alright! It either really works, or I'm really out of shape.... To a little of both.

Also got the ps3 move system. The arrived tonight, so if I'm not to sore I will try that tonight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

i don't eat terribly... in fact when i got sick a while back and was barely eating anything... i gained weight. miserable...

weather is great here... we live in the caribbean :) sorry for all you "snow" folk :) walking to me is just boring, plus i don't have the right shoes for it (flip flops are my life... can cant buy proper trainers around here). I used to go to curves when i lived in the "main land" and loved it. Wish there was one here, or even a gym for women but they are all (2 of them) dominated by men so not my cup of tea there either.

Are the Tae Bo 10 minute express the billy blanks ones??

Beach walking is my favorite "light" exercise. If you live in the Caribbean there's no excuse not to go for a walk. :angry:
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My favorite casual exercise are the 16 ounce curl and the chip dip.

I'd rather eat 18 oz...