Treadmill Incline - Figuring %s

Options
Hi everyone! I just started a treadmill workout that uses incline ranging from 3.0 to 6.0 for much of the run. What percent is that when looking at calorie counters such as this:
http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/running-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I estimated 3% but I more or less pulled that out of nowhere.

Replies

• 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't be too keen to add incline on the treadmill .....It can really do a number on your knees, if you are not careful...I Know!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exercise calories so it's a mute point for me but I'd just log it as an ordinary run and leave the incline as a bonus.
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    Both excellent posts, but still would like some help with the calorie math
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why one would use %. What's 100%? 360 degrees? 180 degrees? 90 degrees?

Degrees for incline make a lot more sense than %.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the difference the percentage would make. Get a HRM that calculates your calorie burn and wear that when you run at an incline.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor like jennieb wrote
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just started a treadmill workout that uses incline ranging from 3.0 to 6.0 for much of the run. What percent is that when looking at calorie counters such as this:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/running-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I estimated 3% but I more or less pulled that out of nowhere.

Usually the 3.0 to 6.0 means 3% to 6%. When you're talking incline for a treadmill, it's usually listed in percentages.

A lot of treadmills will default to 1-1.5% incline to better simulate road-resistance. You can check yours with a level to see where it starts.
  • nje444
    Options
    Ok so all of this said - What is the best heart rate monitor for active females
    Ready
    Set
    Go!
    :explode:
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    By the way, if the workout really is listing degrees, then go here to convert:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/slope-degrees-gradient-grade-d_1562.html

... but, running consistently at a 5-10% incline suuuuucks. :)
  • nje444
    Options
    Running on a treadmill can suck in general :) We just got blasted with snow in the NE and I am training for a half so I cant get outside. I have come to face the fact that I will be staring at a wall for many miles over the next few weeks
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Normal use should be at .5%, that simulates being outside pretty accurately. Anything higher should only be used in context of a hill workout. As mentioned above it can be rough on your legs otherwise.

Better and more fun solution for a hill workout is to go find a good one outside and do repeats up and down. You'll feel that workout the next day!
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    ha! I'm outside Boston, so I know what you mean. I actually do most of my running on a treadmill though... Easier on my knees. ;-)

For the HRM, check out Polar. I use the H7 (bluetooth) connected to my iPhone, but they have a lot of good options & some of them are pretty affordable.

Back to actually getting my lunch on my lunch break. Good luck with your half. :)
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    re: simulating the road on a treadmill, interesting read here:

http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id110.html

... now,really off to lunch.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill can suck in general :) We just got blasted with snow in the NE and I am training for a half so I cant get outside. I have come to face the fact that I will be staring at a wall for many miles over the next few weeks

Oh jeeze. Good luck with the training! (I'm in NE too and we got slammed with probably 36" of snow here)! When I was training for my first half quite a few years ago there were many times I had to do my long runs -- 8-10 miles! -- on a treadmill. Throw on some good music and try hard to zone out.

Oh, and for a HRM, I got a simple Timex one: Timex Zone Trainer Digital Heart Rate Monitor - Mid Size. It's completely no frills.
  • kimberly728
    Options
    Ok so all of this said - What is the best heart rate monitor for active females
    Ready
    Set
    Go!
    :explode:

polar FT4... i did a lot of research before purchasing and this was best rated (and affordable) for women.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Incline is much harder than running flats... I tend to burn twice as much on a hill than on a flat... I have a gps/calorie tracker though which gives me the precise numbers.
  • nje444
    Options
    Excellent! Thank you so much for the tip Kimberly - it got good reviews on Amazon and its a good price. Some HRMS are out of control with costs.
  • PennStan
    PennStan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Back to the original question - 3.0 to 6.0 percent - is feet of rise (vertical) per 100 feet of run (horizontal). + 3.0 percent is climbing 3 feet for every 100 feet you move forward. The incline is useful if you can't jog/run fast, yet want to increase the heart rate by "walking up-hill." Incline also works the quadraceps (front of thighs).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I did find that when training for my first half, that the treadmill inclines do not mimic the inclines noted on geographical course maps. My first half was in San Francisco, so I did a decent amount of hill training for it. And I checked that course map practically weekly to get the inclines and the percentages from the geographical mapping they had available. So I always ran my hill training on the treadmill at inclines set higher than the highest percentage on the course.

Well, the very first hill I ran up was almost steeper than anything the treadmill had been while training, and I'd had that thing up to 9 and 10 at times. I still managed to run the entire course, but I was so very grateful for the downhills the were my reward for making it up those hills.

So I'm not sure if the percentage that a treadmill uses is the same as the actual definition of percentage for a real hill slope.

Oh, and I use a Polar FT4 and love it.
  • nje444
    Options
    I did find that when training for my first half, that the treadmill inclines do not mimic the inclines noted on geographical course maps. My first half was in San Francisco, so I did a decent amount of hill training for it. And I checked that course map practically weekly to get the inclines and the percentages from the geographical mapping they had available. So I always ran my hill training on the treadmill at inclines set higher than the highest percentage on the course.

Well, the very first hill I ran up was almost steeper than anything the treadmill had been while training, and I'd had that thing up to 9 and 10 at times. I still managed to run the entire course, but I was so very grateful for the downhills the were my reward for making it up those hills.

So I'm not sure if the percentage that a treadmill uses is the same as the actual definition of percentage for a real hill slope.

Oh, and I use a Polar FT4 and love it.