Jumpers Knee

Options
So I just played in a volleyball tournament last weekend and it killed to jump or push off my left knee. The trainer couldn't find anything wrong with my knee but when I described what hurt he said I had jumpers knee and that I had to strengthen my hips to resolve this. Anyone else have this issue? What exercises did you do to resolve it?

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It sounds like chondromalacia patella disorder. IT is common in people that are involved in high impact activities. I have it in my rt knee. I went to an orthopedic doctor and was diagnosed with it. He suggest physical therapy which I have not started. Does your knee click?
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    mostly bumping to see more advice...

I have a similar pain in my left knee that my Dr told me was just from overuse/abuse from high impact activities (the majority of my workouts). She advised me to stop all of these to protect my knee. I have since ignored her advice and used KT Tape and iced it when it flares up- which has been less frequently. My hope is that as I strengthen the surrounding muscles and loose more weight it'll be less of an issue.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    oooh not nice! I ended up having to have major knee surgery when i was 20 due to this. i had to have my patella re-aligned and part of my knee cap rebuilt. I had years of physio before and after. I had to have a follow up op last year. I have been doing loads of quad exercises, lots of x biking or spinning and lots of weighted squats and leg extensions. With the squats you need to know your limits or you do more harm thean good. Funny thing is i had to have the surgery after dislocating my left knee 4 times in a year ..... playing volleyball!!! Used to LOVE volleyball!!
  • clmelisca
    clmelisca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with the same thing. I started physical therapy and the K-tape they put on my knees is amazing. No pain whatsoever when the tape is on.

Exercises I've been taught to do:

* Lying on your back, with one knee bent. Raise the straight leg only as high as your bent knee. Make sure your foot is straight or even slightly turned inward. Repeat 20-30 times. You should feel it where your quads meet your bottom.

* Bridges. Lying on the floor, arms at your sides, feet on the floor, raise your bottom to form a "bridge". Repeat 20-30 times.

* Clamshells: lying on your side, hips stacked, knees bent. Keeping feet together, raise the top leg. You should have limited range of motion. If you're able to fully open your legs, lean forward more to work the correct muscle group.

Stretching the hamstrings, IT band, etc. also important.

I also do many, many, many squats and wall sits for a minute at a time which work my lateral quads. The above exercises work the quad that I can't remember the name of (sorry), thereby strengthening my knees.

Hope this helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    This is basically a form of tendinitis. It NEVER goes away once you get it, but you can reduce the inflammation by reducing the activity you do. Overuse is the most common problem. So if it really hurts, then don't squat, leg press, or do leg extensions for a week or so. Leg curls or any hamstring exercises shouldn't affect it.
    Since it's a tendon issue, there's not much more "strengthening" you can do to it, but warm ups definitely will help it. Don't start any activity where you have to bend your knees unless you've warmed up. Some fast walking or dynamic stretching is good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have to go to the doctor because my kneecap keeps sliding out of place on both knees. Not sure if this is what is going on with you, but I know it sucks really bad and has taken me out many times.

Hopefully we both find answers soon.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My knee hurts the most after jogging. I am doing C25K. As much as I love it, I think I'm going to have to give it up for awhile. My knee feels hot with a dull, aching pain that can last a couple days intermittently. I do have a knee brace that helps slightly. I also starting taking Glucosamine Chondroitin but haven't been taking it long enough to give any opinion about pain relief. There is a plethora of resources online about stretches that help strengthen the muscles around the knee.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback!
    I will try your exercises clmelisca, I hope they at least reduce the pain but it sounds like I'm doomed.... to play with it because I'm not giving up volleyball...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There are straps you can buy to help alleviate the pain.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ajessie
    Options
    Make sure that before you workout you are rolling and stretching your hip flexors!! Invest in a foam roller and make sure you are nice and loose before you do any kind of workout. I have knee trouble as well and rolling and stretching is the difference between pain and no pain when I'm working out.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Straps? What kind? I will buy them. May want to invest in whatever company sells them first, ha!
    I have a foam roller but only use it at night. Thanks, I will start using it before tourney's.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Straps? What kind? I will buy them. May want to invest in whatever company sells them first, ha!
    I have a foam roller but only use it at night. Thanks, I will start using it before tourney's.
    They are straps that go just below the knee. Patellar tendon straps. You can get them at just about any sporting goods store.

IDEA Fitness member
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for information about jumper's knee. I'm pretty sure I have this in my rt knee. Painful after any high impact exercise.