Help with push-ups! Please!

Options
I really want to be able to do push-ups. REAL push-ups. But I keep injuring my wrists. Sometimes it only hurts when doing them, sometimes it hurts for days and I can't do anything with it. What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• AmandaRhys
    Options
    My doc only tells me to stay off of it for a while after injuring it....wont/cant tell me how to prevent the injury to start with!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Google for wrist exercises on Youtube?
  • ericthornton43
    ericthornton43 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting some of those push-up "handles" that you put on the floor (sorry, not sure of the proper name). They allow you to do pushups without having your wrists bent at a 90-degree angle.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting some of those push-up "handles" that you put on the floor (sorry, not sure of the proper name). They allow you to do pushups without having your wrists bent at a 90-degree angle.

This might help, if the problem is the way she bends her wrists. But if her wrists are too weak, then this isn't going to help.

EDIT - maybe others are right. The push-up handles are worth a try, at least.
  • AmandaRhys
    Options
    Maybe it is weak wrists....crab crawls hurt them too, but I don't care too much for them so I just skip them. I don't want to skip pushups though... :-(
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You could also try making fists and doing pushups that way instead of hands flat on the floor. I seem to get a nasty bible bump on my wrist if I do too many regular pushups, so I alternate with knuckle pushups.
  • serenecomputer
    Options
    I have found that it relieves the pressure slightly by performing wall push ups. I usually do 1 set of 30 and my wrists don't hurt at all.:smokin: :tongue:
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would try push-up bars or you can use dumbbells as push-up bars
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    think the handles might help. i don't think forearm/wrist strength has anything to do with it. its not like your losing your grip or can't support yourself. if the pain is right in the joint it sounds like you happen to have sensitive joints. the handles allow you to do push ups without bending your wrists at all.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    Are you starting from scratch..ie: floor push ups? I found them extremely difficult to begin with and started doing push ups from the wall, then the kitchen counter, then the coffee table, the lower stairs etc....until to the floor. That may help strengthen your wrists as you get used to doing them?
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do pushups on your knuckles, and start on your knees (with your back straight, for the love of God) if you're not strong enough to do them from plank position. Doing them on your knuckles will both protect and strengthen your wrists.
  • AmandaRhys
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Just tried doing some pushups with closed fists, keeping wrists straight. Didn't hurt my wrists! Didn't feel too great on my knuckles, but just discomfort, nothing major. Will try using weights or getting pushup handles to ease that discomfort. Thanks everyone!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    These are really good ideas and it helps me as well :) I have problems with this as well to the point where my right wrist hurts upwards of a week. This is a great thread, thanks!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try following this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/

It eases you into doing them slowly. I just started this today myself!
  • amandatrog
    amandatrog Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found that it relieves the pressure slightly by performing wall push ups. I usually do 1 set of 30 and my wrists don't hurt at all.:smokin: :tongue:

This is what I was going to suggest. Do some wall push ups!
    They'll help you build up the strength first, then you can work your way into doing knee push ups, then regular push ups. :)
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try following this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/

It eases you into doing them slowly. I just started this today myself!

Thanks so much!
  • AmandaRhys
    Options
    I can do wall pushups no problem. I don't feel challenged. Counter pushups will start to get challenging after 20 or so...
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Do pushups on your knuckles, and start on your knees (with your back straight, for the love of God) if you're not strong enough to do them from plank position. Doing them on your knuckles will both protect and strengthen your wrists.

This, especially doing them on your knees. Gotta build up the strength first. I was doing knee pushups, too. Trust me, as a guy doing knee pushups in the gym, it can be a little embarrasing. But I did them, and now I'm stronger and can do regular, "manly" pushups again.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    honestly impressed with all the ladies doing knuckle push ups. if that takes the pain away then the handles witl def work
  • theparnellslisa
    theparnellslisa Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try standing further from the wall, that will put you at a greater angle and you will feel the push-up far better. I started with wall push-ups (100) and have gradually moved further from the wall and I also do three types of push-ups. Hands straight up and down hands from the inside to the outside and hands together in a diamond shape, that way you are working different muscles:)