Spagetti Squash

Options
Pipenny
Pipenny Posts: 27 Member
One of my weaknesses is Pasta.... I can't get enough of it. So tonight I thought that I would give Spagetti Squash a go.

I found some recipes online,but wanted to see if any of you can recommend a recipe that you have tried 1st hand that you liked.

Replies

• sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Search the recipes for Buffalo chicken lasagna...if you like that type of food. I made it but instead of lasagna noodles I used spaghetti squash...it was nummy!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump, just found some in my area and can't wait to try them.
  • Pipenny
    Options
    Sugboog29, that is right up my ally!!!! Thanks for the idea.
  • Pipenny
    Options

The 1st one really sound good too, plus I think I have all of those ingrediants at home! Thanks!!!! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's good with just a traditional marinara sauce, or a mushroom sauce. I also really like it in a salad. I make it just as I would pasta salad - pelnty of chopped vegetables with a vinaigrette dressing, maybe a little crumbled feta or shaved parmesan - served chilled. It's also good with a reduced fat cheese sauce, or with just a little olive oil and/or parmesan.

And it's pretty tasty plain. I once cooked a spaghetti squash and prepared a nice mushroom sauce for it. My husband asked "What did you put on this, butter?" He'd missed the pan of mushroom sauce and was eating with nothing at all.
  • sumasiangirl
    Options
    My sister's made it twice and it's delicious, tastes like you're just eating angel hair! You just cut the spaghetti squash in half and bake it in the oven then after you use the fork to make the strands. For the sauce she used jennie o lean turkey and crushed tomatoes.
  • Chelle250
    Options
    We just tried it for the first time this past weekend. Just boiled till slightly tender, removed "spaghetti" with a fork added garlic and

parmesan cheese, and WOW. Good stuff, Sooo many possibilities! LOL
  • Pipenny
    Options
    It's good with just a traditional marinara sauce, or a mushroom sauce. I also really like it in a salad. I make it just as I would pasta salad - pelnty of chopped vegetables with a vinaigrette dressing, maybe a little crumbled feta or shaved parmesan - served chilled. It's also good with a reduced fat cheese sauce, or with just a little olive oil and/or parmesan.

And it's pretty tasty plain. I once cooked a spaghetti squash and prepared a nice mushroom sauce for it. My husband asked "What did you put on this, butter?" He'd missed the pan of mushroom sauce and was eating with nothing at all.

Thank you so much for the ideas! A mushroom sauce sounds good!
  • SeeStephRunBlog
    Options
    hi there!

I just posted a Spag Squash recipe at SeeStephRun.com. It's pretty easy!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just add sauce and Parmesan

I have started making pad Thai, as well.
  • kaavery120188
    kaavery120188 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe on hungrygirl.com (link below) called the taco-rific speghetti squash bake and it is AWESOME if you like mexican. We make it a lot!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2507
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks for more great ideas!

There was a thread awhile back about spaghetti squash.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872998-spaghetti-squash
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Now that I have discovered spaghetti squash, I hate pasta (with the exception of cheese tortellini....mmm). It is sweeter and the texture is better.

I don't have a recipe per se (use it however you would have used regular pasta!) BUT, I can give a time saver suggestion on cooking it. Put it in the crockpot with 3 cups of water for about 6 hours on low. After it is cooked that long, it is easier to cut open and dig all the junk out of it so you can get to the goody. Trying to cut it before it has cooked is soooo hard and trying to lug it in and out of the oven is just awkward.
  • Pipenny
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!! I went with Spagetti Squash Lasagna! It was delicious!!!

Can't wait to try out some of your suggestions!!!

Thanks again!
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try some of these recipes!
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    I do a Greek sauce... Marinara, but add Calamata Olives, artichoke hearts, and a little bit of feta.... toss with Spaghetti Squash... delicious!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe on hungrygirl.com (link below) called the taco-rific speghetti squash bake and it is AWESOME if you like mexican. We make it a lot!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2507

Had this for dinner last night, & we really enjoyed it. Leftovers for dinner tonight ;) No cooking = joy....
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I take the squash and (with a fork) poke a bunch of holes around it. Then you can put it in the microwave and cook until the outside is tender...or it pushes in real easily. This is about 10-15 minutes depending on your microwave strength. Sometimes it might take longer. There will be a slight hissing sound, but that is normal. The juices are coming through the holes, but they won't spill all over your microwave. Once cooked, I shred with a fork and put in a bowl. Then I sprinkle a little salt and pepper to taste. I'll also add a tiny bit of butter. You can use any butter substitute that you like. Sometimes I'll just eat it like this as a side. Other times I will add marinara and grilled chicken. You can be as creative as you want with this vegetable.