How accurate

Options
akb2006
akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
Do you think the excersize calculator on here is? I put in 35 minutes of the elliptical and the number it says I burned seem awfully high at 550 calories. I am heavier though I just want to have a general idea on how many I should eat back? Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've found that MFP tends to be pretty generous on exercise cals. It always is much higher than the reading on my HRM after a workout. I trust my HRM
  • 20queenb10
    20queenb10 Posts: 5
    Options
    what is HRM??
  • inspiration78
    Options
    I also think that MFP is very generous with the cals they say you burned. I would buy a heart rate monitor (HRM) which is much more accurate.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor.

I find with my HRM that I burn 80% of what a machine in the gym says I burn and about 60% of what MFP says. So if you use MFP, I would only eat back 50-60% of the workout calories to make sure you're not eating back too much.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    For everyone saying that their Heart Rate Monitor shows less calories than the machines and this site, what type of HRM do you have? I have a Polar F4 and I find that the machines and this site are too LOW. I have to up the calories every time I put something in.
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    Options
    For everyone saying that their Heart Rate Monitor shows less calories than the machines and this site, what type of HRM do you have? I have a Polar F4 and I find that the machines and this site are too LOW. I have to up the calories every time I put something in.

I also have a polar f4 & have to up the calories burned!!
    I trust & rely on my HRM so really hope it's accurate!!
  • Ulanda
    Ulanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For cycling, I find that the calories burned count on my bike is higher than the calculated count on MPM for the speed range, so I go with my bike. I just bought a pedometer to track my steps/calories burned while walking, will see how closely it matches MPM. For me, the estimates on MPM are good motivation and also helps me plan out my diet (i.e. how much I can eat later in the day when I can pre-enter my planned workout for the evening).
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7 (I think) and it always says I burn more than the gym machines, but way less than MFP