Low Blood Pressure - Nutrition Advice?

Options
Just wondering if any nutrition experts out there know of ways to safely increase blood pressure through diet. I know high sodium would raise BP, but I also don't want to overload on sodium and end up with additional heart issues. I can also rule out dehydration as a potential cause as I regularly drink 8 glasses of water a day.

My blood pressure is normally 120/70, but recently it has been dropping to as low as 100/40 and my lowest was 90/35. I test using a Citizen digital wrist monitor. I can usually tell it's low because I'll feel light headed and have skipped heartbeats.

Before anyone gets concerned about the arrhythmia, I am regularly evaluated by a cardiologist and am fine. My arrhythmia is a side effect to having heart surgery 10 years ago for atrial flutter. The flutter was cured, but I have PVC (premature ventricle contractions) as a result. I'll take those over the flutter any day of the week! It's more annoying than anything else.

I've also talked to my doctor about low blood pressure, but he didn't seem to be concerned. Says it's not an issue unless I pass out. That's never happened to me since my surgery.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• guwisti
    guwisti Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    *bump*

interested in this as well. Having LBP the last couple of days and I eat a ton of salt....working on the rehydration right now.
  • snarlgaurd
    snarlgaurd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just going through this at the minute and its annoying I've collapsed once but also been unable to excercise until after I get the results back from my cardio tests (ECGs are normal just slow). I've been temporary diagnosed with posterial hypertension, ie low blood pressure causing my blood to pool in my legs. The guidance my docs gave me was to drink more, try to move more, and to wear support stockings...or flight socks.
    What I would say about Hydration is I thought I drank enough 8-9 large cups of Tea a day plus milk at least 2lt of fluids). However I've changed this very recently to be drinking about 1lt of fluid within the 1st 1hr, 1.5 of the day with some form of breakfast at least 700cl of this is Water in non dyretic form ie not caffinated. Litterally taking me 3 weeks to build up what lever of hydration I need. If you were drinking 2lt try 4lt! When you exercise you need to drink even more. Also trying to keep the caffine down according to the dietitian.

Hope this helps.
    Wends