Weight Loss with hypothyroid~ Please help

Options
:cry: Is really discouraged... i am watching what i eat and working out.... I have hypothyroidism and can not lose weight even tho my life depends on it... is there anyone that knows what I am going thru that can help me???

Replies

• bubblez_x3
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism, have you gotten your blood tested to make sure your meds are at the correct dose?
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've got it too, along w/a lot of other issues. I'm losing, very slowly, but I am. So, stick with it, it'll happen. and yeah, get your blood checked.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have it also and losing weight is slow. Eating clean and exercising helps me.

Karen
  • annie008
    Options
    Hi

I have hypothyroidism too :( I assume you're on medication? I don't know if you've done any research, but there are certain foods that can hinder as well as help the thyroid gland in our situation. When I first got diagnosed I went research crazy. Really quick, I can tell you that I have cut the following things from my diet...or at least seldom eat it. These are: potatoes, sweet potato (yams), raw brocolli and cauliflower, strawberries, soy and soy related foods, brussel sprouts, cabbage, mustard, peaches, penuts, radish, and egg yolks to name a few.
    Foods that can improve thyroid function are foods rich in iodine like seaweed (sushi), seafood, saltwater fish, bananas, parsley, iodized salt for cooking. Selenium rich foods such as Tuna, brown rice, salmon, chicken.

Plenty of fish should be included in the hypothyroid diet because of the presence of omega-3 fatty acids. This aids in transporting the hormone throghout the body

Eating foods high fiber and drinking lots of water helps in cleansing to lose weight too.

I am a big milk drinker, but somewhere I read drinking milk is definitely not good for those with a hypothyroidism. So I switched to rice milk. No Soy milk...as from my list above...we should not have soy.

Hope this info helps!...feel free to add me if you like too!
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree, you may need to have your dosage checked. You need a full work up TSH and T4. I had my blood levels checked and even though I fell in the require range my doctor changed my dosage because it was in the low range and she thought based on the way I felt and my symptoms it was to low for my body. now I am losing weight and feeling much better.
  • danasignaturesvc
    Options
    Here is some information that I came across from a well known author on this very issue: I hope it helps.

"4 Steps to a top Hypothyroidism Diet with the Perfect Hypothyroidism Foods to help you lose weight!!

Hypothyroidism has many side effects as I’m sure you’re aware. Often people just like you will suddenly see their weight soar, their hair turn to straw and their mood plummet! Well I’m here to tell you that some lifestyle changes WILL get you back on track! In this article it’s the hypothyroidism foods that I’m going to concentrate on.
    If you’ve gained weight because of your hypothyroidism it’s important to know how to tackle this problem head on. You can lose weight with hypothyroidism but it’s not easy. You need a hypothyroidism foods plan and you need the right knowledge.That’s what I’m going to give you in these 4 easy steps to a great diet for hypothyroidism. These steps should not only help the weight loss, but also have you feeling energized and like YOU again!

Hypothyroidism Diet Step 1:
    Cut out the bad! Some foods contain compounds that hinder the functioning of the thyroid gland. These are called goitrogens. I’ve listed below some of the foods I know contain these and it will help if you either cut them out or at least cut them down:
    1)Cabbage
    2) Broccoli
    3) Turnips
    4) Rutabaga
    5) Kale
    6) Spinach
    7) Brussels sprouts
    8)peaches
    9) Pears
    10) Strawberries
    11) Radishes
    12) Cauliflower
    13) Millet
    14) Peanuts

Hypothyroidism Diet Step 2:
    Bring in the good! Just like some foods will hinder your thyroid, some will also help it. Keep to foods that include Tyrosine. I’ve listed them below:
    1) Chicken Breast
    2) Fish
    3) Turkey
    4) Low fat milk
    5) Yogurt
    6) Avocados
    7) Lentils
    8)Bananas
    9) Pumpkin & Sesame seeds
    10) Almonds
    Plus foods that include Iodine:
    1) Sea kelp
    2) Seaweed
    3) Most Fresh fish
    4) Fish oils
    5) Iodized salt
    6) Condensed milk
    7) Trifle
    8)Eggs

Hypothyroidism Diet Step 3:
    Juice up your metabolism. Your diet for hypothyroidism needs to help with this as the thyroid has caused it to slow. The easiest way to do this is to increase the amount of meals you eat per day. Aim for around 6 small, healthy meals and you’ll turn your body into a fat stripping machine.

Hypothyroidism Diet Step 4:
    Fiber is essential for keeping you regular and helping to alleviate constipation which is a very typical side effect of hypothyroidism. It has been proven time and time again to aid weight loss and is absolutely essential in your new diet for hypothyroidism.
    So that’s it! Put these steps into action in your diet for hypothyroidism and you’ll not only see weight loss but you’ll be feeling better and looking better. Thanks for reading! Believe me, you CAN lose weight!
    So there you have it! Everything you need to know about hypothyroidism foods to help you lose weight!"

Some other interesting information about hypothyroidism that I came across: Hope this helps!

Once the thyroid tissue is destroyed it will not regrow and I know of no way to stimulate the remaining gland to work harder. Many people ask if avoiding cruciferous vegetable foods or taking extra iodine will cure their thyroid condition. Compounds in plant foods, like cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, millet and soy have antithyroid effects. These foods are referred to as goitrogenic foods because theoretically they can lead to a condition of low thyroid with an associated gland enlargement, called a goiter. Supplementation with iodine completely reverses the goitrogenic influence of any vegetables. (Incidentally, these same foods have compounds that protect against thyroid cancer.27)
    There is no harm in trying to improve your thyroid function by avoiding cruciferous vegetables, soy and millet, and/or adding more iodine (like from sea vegetables) to your diet, but my experience has been that this effort will make no difference.

Simple, Safe, Effective Medical Care
    Part of the routine evaluation of all of patients is a check of their thyroid status. If their TSH levels are above 3 mU/L (after two separate tests), then consider supplementation with levothyroxine. Leaning more towards treatment for higher TSH levels (the more severe the hypothyroidism) and patients with a higher risk for heart disease.
    When weight loss or fatigue is the patient’s concern, and they also have a slightly abnormal TSH level treatment is recommended. Other times, when the decision to treat a slightly abnormal TSH levels is not straight-forward, a six month trial on thyroid looking for subjective (feelings of well-being) and objective (lower cholesterol) improvements is recommended.

Thyroid supplementation is one of the very few treatments commonly prescribed. For patients with a damaged thyroid gland, correcting hypothyroidism with the right amount of levothyroxine can be an inexpensive medical miracle without side effects.

Note: The prices may have changed. This data was written in 2005.

Cost of 90 pills with a potency equal to 0.125 mg levothyroxine:
    Armour Thyroid is an extract made from dried pig thyroid glands ($21.99)
    Thyrolar is synthetic product combining triiodothyronine (T3) and levothyroxine (T4) ($64.99)
    Synthroid is the most popular brand of synthetic levothyroxine (82% of the market) ($39.97)
    Levoxyl is a generic brand of synthetic levothyroxine ($27.97)
    Levothroid is a generic brand of synthetic levothyroxine (26.97)
    Unithroid is a generic brand of synthetic levothyroxine ($24.99)
    Cytomel is synthetic triiodothyronine (rarely used alone to treat hypothyroidism)
    Generic brands of levothyroxine and Synthroid all work equally well.1
  • SlwNStdy
    Options
    I get my dose tested about everyother month so yes I am on the correct dose... Thank you
  • sugarbuzz74
    sugarbuzz74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    hi, i was just diagnosed with and underactive thyroid so this thread is very helpful. my doc tested me three times and my TSH is a 9, well over the upper limit of 4. i'm going on synthroid starting today and hope it helps. i've gained about 15 pounds in the past 3 years despite a very active lifestyle and good to so-so eating habits. i hope this medication helps, and thanks for the information about the thyroid-agreeable foods.
  • LuvMyBoys2
    LuvMyBoys2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi I have just joined MFP and I have hypothyroidism acquired. Meaning I started out with hyperthyroidism and they treated me to give me hypothyroidism. I have Struggled with my weight for the past ten years and was hoping MFP would help. I was wondering how it is going for you. I have been fairly active on and off for years with little to no success. I have had people stop me at the gym to say "I was shocked you made it through that class..." It just adds to the frustration.
    Any thoughts or words of encouragement would be appreciated
  • LuvMyBoys2
    LuvMyBoys2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Did eliminating those foods from your diet aid in your weight loss?
  • Ckonner
    Ckonner Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamatu2
    mamatu2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'm struggling with hypothyroidism too. I'm not much of a meat eater so I'm stuggling with getting enough protein without eating soy. I am trying to eat a lot of brown rice and beans and forcing myself to eat fish once a week. I miss all of my foods from the cabbage family ! Well good luck to all, I'm there with you.
  • carolynlash
    carolynlash Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all that info! I've been on levothyroxine for years and knew some of what you posted, but not nearly all of it! I also struggle with weight loss and will typically work out and eat right, although I was eating some of the foods on the "do not eat" list because I thought I was making healthy choices. However, I might loose a few pounds over several months and then come to a complete stand-still. My levels have never changed in 10 years, whether I'm working out or not so that was very frustrating. I'm anxious to try to change my diet based on the information you've provided and do some more research on that end as well. I started MFP several weeks ago and have seen no weight loss yet, but we'll see what happens now! Thanks again :smile:
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ive been hypothyroid for 13 yrs, Im also a nurse, and from personal experience and knowlege,you are better off to take Synthriod, not generic levothyroxin, there is a difference! The generic is not as effective, Synthroid price is not very much more, let your pharmacist know you want Synthroid.
  • Cyncham
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after I had my son 11 years ago. I've been on the generic Synthroid for a few years now & assumed that is was the same. It makes me wonder now since you say that. So, next month, I plan on asking for Synthroid instead of generic. Hopefully, it will help me more! Thank you for all of the info!

Good luck everyone on their weight loss!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have lost 23 pounds so all is not hopeless. Get your t4 and tsh checked to see if you are on the right dosage. Then eat clean and exercise more. Add strength training if you have not already.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    hi, i was just diagnosed with and underactive thyroid so this thread is very helpful. my doc tested me three times and my TSH is a 9, well over the upper limit of 4. i'm going on synthroid starting today and hope it helps. i've gained about 15 pounds in the past 3 years despite a very active lifestyle and good to so-so eating habits. i hope this medication helps, and thanks for the information about the thyroid-agreeable foods.

It is not just your TSH that matters. What was your T4?
  • Rockdrop
    Rockdrop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've started to keep track of all of my TSH values and then reflecting on how I felt at each different point. Once I did that, I began to recognize the range where I felt great (relatively speaking) and where I would lose weight. Even though my bloodwork is pretty consistently in the "normal" range, my doctor historically has worked with me to keep my TSH at the range where I feel best (typically low/low-normal).

My best advice is to do all those things you know to be right: regular blood work, regular exercise, good eating; but also remember to be kind to yourself. Battling your own body is such a crappy thing to have to do, but unfortunately it's the card we've been dealt.

My warm wishes for you!
  • LauraAshley95
    LauraAshley95 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :cry: Is really discouraged... i am watching what i eat and working out.... I have hypothyroidism and can not lose weight even tho my life depends on it... is there anyone that knows what I am going thru that can help me???
    Hello. I have hypothyroidism, hypertension, and PCOS. It is tough, and it's so easy to lose motivation and slip backwards and gain all the weight back (it's happened to me more times than I can remember unfortunately). I'm hoping this time will be my last, but it's so hard to say. Find a "thinspiration" (a person similar in height at the goal weight you want to be). Look at a picture of them every once and a while and say that if you just keep going, you'll look how you want to. Another thing that's keeping me going right now it thinking about all the loose skin I'll probably have. The longer you're overweight, the worse it'll be! And the last thing that helps me is the saying "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". You may want that piece of cake right now, but after you eat it you'll feel like crap and wish you could take it back. I hope some of this helps you, and you're more than welcome to add me if you'd like. Good luck! (:
  • Violin11
    Violin11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why is it that all of my favorite vegetables are on the Do Not Eat list and the things I like the least are on they OK list? Couldn't we just change things around? Pretty please?

In regards to the original poster, I know you just recently had your levels checked, but you might want to do it again. When I was first diagnosed, I would get the medication leveled and feel great for about a month and then all of a sudden things would change overnight. It was incredibly frustrating. At the time, working out was about the only thing keeping me going. I've been living with this for almost two years now and I'm getting better at recognizing when I have a bad day vs. when I really need to get my levels checked. It's frustrating I know, but remember how good you should feel when all of your blood levels are in the correct range.