Cold Weather Running Gear

Options
Hello Winter runners! I had stopped running due to an injury this summerr but I am ready to get out there again! I signed up for a local "Shamrock Shuffle Run" in March. We currently have about 3 feet of snow on the ground and temps around 20 when I plan to run (mornings/evenings).

Does anyone have suggestions for cold weather running tights? Or gear in general? Typically I am walking outdoors in snow pants! I have a feeling that won't work for the race:)

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of under armour cold gear base layers for running. But they are not cheap.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am hoping that I can grab some on sale. The bathing suits are out!!!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of ski thermals which I wear under my running tights; nice and thin, but warm. Layers are the key, I think.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I went to the store, I had only that one day to get cold weather gear since my race was the next day and we had 60 degree temps earlier in the week and then of course on race day, we were dumped on by a foot of snow and 20 degree temps during the actual race. I ended up with Nike running tights, which have worked fine. Just make sure you read the labels correctly because you need the warm ones, not cool for winter running. I wear running tights sometimes covered with yoga pants depending on temps, a tank layer, a long sleeved t layer and a light running jacket with hat and gloves. I'm in MN, so our temps get pretty chilly in the winter.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I use a thermal tights underneath wind-breaking, winter running tights. Wind-breaking material is pretty much a must, at least for the front of your legs. I'm afraid I don't have any brands to recommend, as I use the store-brand from The Running Room. They work great though - I've been tempted to wear the thermal layer under my jeans when I'm just out doing errands.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite tights - I find them warmer than my Under Armour Cold Gear, but I only have one pair of those so others might be better.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL1002/

When it's below 20 (which I've only done a couple of times - brrr), I put the under armors on under the hot pants. Toasty warm.

I typically dress in my hot pants tights, a cold gear type turtle neck, a running jacket (I just have one from Old Navy Active and it works well), an under armour cap, and convertible mittens.
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Trained for years in the cold as preperation for my Nordic ski racing season...depending on how cold will determine the thickness of the tights....but definately tights, alot of people would wear a pair of shorts of the tights...your call. A thermal top, or at least a Under Armour top with a fleece vest and a fleece or knit cap small enough that it can fit in your pocket but large enoug to cover your ears...swix actually makes a pair of ear muffs that are great. Finally, a think pair of gloves...again that you can put in your pocket half way into the run. Oh I almost forgot...for the men out there you can get a pair of underwear that have a wind breaker front...spend an hour running in cold weather with tights and then go inside and you will understand their importance....POPSICLE
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike ProCombat HyperWarm stuff. The hyperwarm compression tights are great for running. Along with that I'll wear one of the HyperWarm long sleeve shirts, with a ProCombat short sleeve shirt under it, and a running jacket for an outer layer. Don't forget good gloves and a hat. You hands and ears get cold when running in those temps. Also, crew length socks are good to keep your ankles warm.

Like the Under Armour stuff, the Nike ProCombat stuff isn't cheap, but well worth it!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of new balance tights that are super warm. I also like the under armor stuff although it's usually pretty pricey.

Target's champion gear is pretty awesome. I have a zip up jacket type thing that is super warm but not bulky.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This might be silly for everyday but on my last business trip I wanted to run in the snow but wasnt prepared with the right attire. I wore normal tights under sweat pants and stayed warm for my 23 degree run.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I run in shorts and a teeshirt down to around 20 degrees F. If you're cold run harder :D

I have goretex trail runners to keep my feet dry in the snow.

I really like my perl izumi softshell lite gloves.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    There are some newer running gear that has special threads that heats up when you perspire, columbia also has some new fabric that is shiny and reflects heat back on your body. Both of these mean lighter clothes that stay warmer.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks pants and just a 3/4 zip long sleeve shirt from Target. I really am a huge fan of arm sleeves as I can peel them off when I warm up.
  • kmmuellr
    Options
    Back when I was running, I bought a set of UnderArmour cold weather tights. I wear those w/ a pair of running shorts, a long sleave tee-shirt, an ear band, and light cotton gardening gloves. Its a little chilly when you first start, but 1/4 mile in I'm usually warmed up and sweating by the end of the run!

K
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

As I sit here in my office looking at more snow fall..I need tights!

Happy Running!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dress for weather that is 20* warmer than actual.....ie. dress for 40* when it is actually 20*.

I would rather be too cold then too hot. I wear a hat, gloves, & long sleeve cotton shirt & sometimes tights at 30* - & depending on how long I will be running, generally an extra cotton turtle neck when colder. Next year I will probably buy a light weight zippered vest.
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    Does anyone know what brand is likely to have a longer inseam? I picked up a pair of Nike pants (not tights) today without trying them on as I was in a rush and I was thinking the length was questionable and they are too short.

Suggestions? Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Look for stuff with Gore's windstopper material or Polartek fleece. The cold is easy to deal with and you don't need super expensive gear for that... but wind can be brutal, and under armor and the like does nothing for that.
  • bcumak
    bcumak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started winter running and did not know if I would like it so I did not want to invest a lot of money. I just ran a 5k race with obstacles and this is what I wore in 20 degrees (I am ALWAYS cold and I was comfortable in this. If you run hot than you probably don't need the extra fleece):

Target cold weather compression tights $27.99
    http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-cold-weather-running-tight-assorted-color/-/A-14153054#prodSlot=large_2_12

I did wear yoga pants over it but not for warmth but rather so the tights didn't get ripped on the obstacles.

Tank Top

Walmart 14 zip jacket $5.99

Walmart "iceburg" cold weather compression shirt that is fleece lined (so warm...love it!) $20.

Fleece

Stretch gloves (kind you can get for $3...perfect for those runny noses)

Hat with a face mask
  • JayRod2519
    JayRod2519 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Target cold weather running "stuff"...have tights, a few compression shirts, a beanie type hat and a windbreaker. I also bought a balaklava last year which I really enjoy; plus, it makes me feel like a ninja to boot. I alwaya wear a pair of shorts over the tights, and usually wear compression shirt, long sleeve shirt, and windbreaker and I'm usually good down to about 20 degrees.