feeling weak on the primal diet

Options
So, I started following my own version of the primal diet on Friday night. I have excluded sugar and grains from my diet. I am breastfeeding a 4 month old who can't tolerate dairy in my diet so I haven't had dairy in any real amount in the last 3 months. I eat between 1500-1700 calories daily but yesterday and today have been having a really hard time having the energy to do anything. Today especially I feel exhausted and like my limbs are very very heavy.

My question is, should I expect to go through a period like this until my body adjusts to a new energy source without the grains and sugars? Or is this a sign that my body is not getting what it needs anymore? Perhaps taking vitamins would help? Just curious if anyone else went through this and what they did to see it through. I would really like to continue the new diet but not at the expense of my energy or breastmilk production. Thanks for any help in advance!

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you "I need more fuel" so give it more fuel. It's not an adjustment period, it's your body's way of telling you to eat.

So eat.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat all your calories. Your intake has been pretty low since starting, especially if you are breastfeeding. I'm mostly primal too, 50% fat, 25% protein & 25% carbs.
    You can eat carbs, it's the grains to stay away from. Add in some sweet potatoes if you feel it's a carb issue but definitely up the calories if your diary has been correct since starting.
    It does take a while to get used to it, at least 2 weeks typically. Some call it the low carb flu. It eventually goes away but you'll need a good calorie intake also.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I think you should be eating more.

Please note: I am trying to be helpful. My post is not meant to be rude and/or negative in any way.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat all your calories. Your intake has been pretty low since starting, especially if you are breastfeeding. I'm mostly primal too. You can eat carbs, it's the grains to stay away from. Add in some sweet potatoes if you feel it's a carb issue but definitely up the calories if your diary has been correct since starting.

There are a lot of evenings where I know how many calories I have left so I eat most if not all of them but don't end up logging the rest of what I eat. I need to get away from that habit, but not everything I eat is reflected.
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and everyone told me it was the "carb flu" and should pass in a week. 2 weeks later I was still weak and could barley think...maybe it's just not the right fit for you?
    That being said, if you'd like to stick with it, keep in mind your body is going from using simple carbs/sugar for fuel to fat. So to up your energy eat more good fat.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding, I would talk to a doctor about excluding foods or going on special diets, especially if said diet is causing issues such as feeling weak.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For the well being of you and your baby, eat when your body tells you to. Diets dont work, lifestyle changes do.
  • sataylor24
    sataylor24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    carb flu!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    You may need more food in general. I don't know. Breastfeeding typically adds 500 calories a day to a woman's basic calorie needs.

The lack of grains and sugar would not cause weakness and tiredness. Grains are not an essential nutrient, and as long as you are eating vegetables and fruits, fats, and protein (with enough calories), you'll get what you need.

• greasygriddle
    greasygriddle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    because you are in a HUGE deficit! you should be eating at least 2100 cals a day.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-breastfeeding-burn-q2289
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding, I would talk to a doctor about excluding foods or going on special diets, especially if said diet is causing issues such as feeling weak.

When I was still nursing and tried to reduce carbs/grains...my supply diminished quickly and significantly. I (and not implying for you) was more concerned and focused on my breastfeeding goals for my child rather than my desire to lose weight at the time.

I had to make a decision whether nursing (which I struggled with supply) was a higher priority or my poochy belly?
    I just delayed my need for hers.

DISCLAIMER **this is not meant as a pro-bfing post, simply what I experienced and ended up having to decide. I support anyone who attempts bfing, but also am aware that it is not always perfect for every single family lifestyle.**
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So, I started following my own version of the primal diet on Friday night. I have excluded sugar and grains from my diet. I am breastfeeding a 4 month old who can't tolerate dairy in my diet so I haven't had dairy in any real amount in the last 3 months. I eat between 1500-1700 calories daily but yesterday and today have been having a really hard time having the energy to do anything. Today especially I feel exhausted and like my limbs are very very heavy.

My question is, should I expect to go through a period like this until my body adjusts to a new energy source without the grains and sugars? Or is this a sign that my body is not getting what it needs anymore? Perhaps taking vitamins would help? Just curious if anyone else went through this and what they did to see it through. I would really like to continue the new diet but not at the expense of my energy or breastmilk production. Thanks for any help in advance!

I understand why you cut out dairy because you're baby can't tolerate it....but eliminating sugar and grains in addition to the dairy is very restrictive, especially if you're breastfeeding! Maybe this 'diet' isn't right for you. Find something sustainable, that fits into your lifestyle. And make sure your netting enough calories a day for you and your baby!!!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1500-1700 calories daily but yesterday and today have been having a really hard time having the energy to do anything. Today especially I feel exhausted and like my limbs are very very heavy.

My question is, should I expect to go through a period like this until my body adjusts to a new energy source without the grains and sugars?

Definitely eat a little more. Breastfeeding takes 300-500 calories a day, IIRC.

Yes, it's likely just the "low-carb flu". Adjusting to burning fat instead of sugar can take 2 to 3 weeks. You've probably used up all your muscle glycogen at this point.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^^This!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I understand why you cut out dairy because you're baby can't tolerate it....but eliminating sugar and grains in addition to the dairy is very restrictive, especially if you're breastfeeding! Maybe this 'diet' isn't right for you. Find something sustainable, that fits into your lifestyle. And make sure your netting enough calories a day for you and your baby!!!

Well someone needs to explain to me how the baby can't tolerate dairy and yet is drinking breast milk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options

Well someone needs to explain to me how the baby can't tolerate dairy and yet is drinking breast milk.

Not sure if SRS....but you know dairy is cow's milk, right? They're a different species.
  • greasygriddle
    greasygriddle Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Not sure if SRS....but you know dairy is cow's milk, right? They're a different species.

^^^^^^^ you're my NEW hero! :drinker:
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Breast milk is made up of whatever is in the mom's diet. If mom stays away from all dairy then her breast milk wouldn't have any dairy in it. Some babies can be highly sensitive to foods mom eats. Dairy & soy are often triggers for some babies.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is a not the best time to go on a restrictive diet. I understand the want to lose baby weight, but your baby needs a healthy mom before a skinny mom. Breastfeeding can be draining (no pun intented). Give yourself the fuel for now, and if you still want to try primal in a few months when your LO is eating food and not as dependent on you, that would probably be a better time to start.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Maybe I should have been more clear. I get that babies should not drink dairy milk under 1 year and that dairy milk is cows milk. What I meant was how do you tell if a 4 month old baby can't tolerate breast milk from a mother that drinks dairy milk?