Initial Post Baby Weight loss?

Options
Hey there moms! I am 36 weeks pregnant with my first little one, a girl my fiance and I have decided to name Isabella Rose. As excited as we are to have her, I am curious about the health aspect of having a baby. I really want to get back in shape the right way, and I would love some insight from moms who have been through it all! So for you parents out there, I have a few questions.

How much did you gain while pregnant?
What was the initial weight loss amount when you came home from having your little one?
How much did you lose in the first month?
How long did it take for the rest to come off?
When did you start exercising again? What types of exercises?
Natural birth birth or C section?

Feel free to throw in any advice also! :)

Replies

• 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I only gained 20 lbs with my daughter. I was 21 years old and lost all 20 lbs by my 6 week follow up visit.

My understanding, however, is that this is not normal.

Biggest tip is to breast feed, as this is supposed to help you lose weight faster. But, those first few months with a newborn are crazy, so don't be too hard on yourself. Do what you can and the rest will work itself out.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Gained 20lbs

Only lost 10lbs right after

Dropped other 10 in 4-6 months, but was nursing so i didn't diet, just exercised and ate well. After I stopped nursing, I dropped additional weight because I was more conscientious of my caloric intake, but the pregnancy weight itself was gone in 4-6 months.

Natural Birth

Began exercising after all bleeding stopped, and my energy was up about 4 weeks.

I primarily lifted and did biking at first because jumping and running put too much stress on the uterine floor. Most of my friends were able to go back to normal activities including bouncing after 6-8 weeks. I had to have a bladder lift before I could run or jump, but that was only partially due to pregnancy so you may not have issues related to running & jumping :) after things tighten back up.

Good Luck!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i gained 62 lbs with pregnancy.
    i lost 37 pounds in the first 12 days after having her.
    Then i didnt lose much more weight until she weened at 10 months- even though i was watching what i ate and also exercising. After i quit BFing the rest of the weight fell off almost overnight.

I had a c section at 35 years old. It took me about 2 years, and the c25k program to get my body back. I now look the same as i did pre-baby and I am wearing all my pre-baby clothes.
  • eskiadas
    eskiadas Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 children...my first was a girl and she is now 2 1/2 years old. I gained 35lbs with her and I never exercised while pregnant. I lost about 12lbs in the first week and it took me a full year to lose it all.

My second pregnancy, i had a boy (4 months ago) and I gained 28lbs. I exercised throughout my whole pregnancy and in the first week I lost 20 lbs. I have only 5lbs to lose to get to my pre pregnancy weight. I believe exercising while pregnant helped me to lose the weight much more quickly.

I exercised about 3 weeks after having both my children. I had the baby blues with both so i found exercise to really help me with that.
    I had a natural birth with both :)

GL :)
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Of course, all of us Mum's are different.......... but here are my stats:

Age 23: 210lbs when I conceived, gained 60lbs and was 270lbs when I delivered. Lost 28lbs within 2 weeks of delivery.

Age 23 -36 - Anything between 175lbs and 218lbs,

Yup, I've only just got around to sorting myself out 13 years post partum :smile:

Many congratulations!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers! :)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My little girl is 4 and I'm 18 weeks with my second pregnancy. With number one I never excercised and pretty much ate whatever I wanted (Snickers for breakfast!). I put on 40 pounds, 37 of that in the last 20 weeks. I lost about 12 pounds in the first couple of weeks postpartum and pretty much hung out there until I stopped breastfeeding my daughter when she was 16 months old. Then the rest came off really quickly with diet and excercise and I ended up smaller than i started. I know there is a good chance I might not loose the weight with this one while I'm breastfeeding but I'm okay with that. I had a natural birth but tore and they messed the stitches up pretty badly and it was 5 months before I could do any excercise as I had to go back and get them fixed. With this pregnancy I am tracking my food (though not to lose weight) and excercising and hoping this will keep my weight gain between 25-30 pounds and help it too come off quicker.

If I had any advice it would be not to be too hard on yourself after birth. I see so many of my friends down about their weight only months after having a baby. Give yourself and your body time to heal and recover. It's going through something pretty major! It took a year at least to feel myself again. Also from what I have read baby weight is easiest to lose in the 2 years postpartum. Leave it longer than that and it gets harder. But 2 years is a long time, and you are in the right place to get started.

Congratulations on your little one, hope your birth is quick and easy!
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did not lose any weight until after I stopped breast feeding. Everyone tells you you'll lost weight breastfeeding but I think it's an individual thing. Lost all the rest of the weight once I added a bit of exercise and cut out all the junk I was eating because I was at home all day and couldn't help myself. Good luck!
    Pre-preggo weight ~ 125
    40 week preggo ~150
    3 month post partum ~135-140
    9 month post partum ~ 135
    10 month post partum (stopped BFing) ~129
    16 months post partum ~109
  • TiffCK
    TiffCK Posts: 37
    Options
    I gained 40lbs with each baby. I was 104 lbs when I got pregnant with first, and 114 lbs when I got pregnant with 2nd. (Ones 4, ones 1) I lost barely any weight the first year with each baby, though I didn't try. I actually didn't try to lose at all after my first child, but still did after a year old. (I nursed for 2, and I am still nursing my second) I had a vaginal delivery with each, and an epidural. (4c and 7c with second) Now that I am trying to lose weight, the extra calories burned from nursing is really helping it come off faster. So far.
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • charisse15
    Options
    Congrats on the little girl.. they are so much fun ! I have 2 girls (6 months and 2yrs) and 1 boy (10yrs)

How much did you gain while pregnant? #1 50lbs #2 23lbs #3 9lbs
    What was the initial weight loss amount when you came home from having your little one? #1 cant remember #2 15lbs #3 10lbs
    How much did you lose in the first month? All 3 of them I was pre prego weight within 6 weeks.. #3 I was 40lbs less pre prego weight at 6 weeks PP
    How long did it take for the rest to come off? Mine has always come easy with BFing.
    When did you start exercising again? What types of exercises? #1 a while due to complications #2 about 6 months #3 started walking the neighborhood around 8 weeks
    Natural birth birth or C section? All C sections

My biggest problem was its easy to eat large/prego portions after baby and if your BFing you want to eat everything in sight.. After your supply has come in and starts to regulate itself just remember to pick healthy choices instead of those "used to snacks" Im one of those people who lose a crazy amount of weight while BFing.. so I used it combined with the gym to help me lose more.. I stalled losing weight when I went back to work at 6 weeks PP only b/c I pump 2x a day at work then nurse at home.. I lose more when she drinks straight from the tap. Good luck to you !