Weight plateau on 1200 cals!

Options
Hi guys, iv been eating 1200 cals a day and going to the gumm 3 times a week. I've lost 7 pounds since 10th jan but have now plateaued and stayed the same for 2 weeks! Can anyone recommend what to do as Its telling me I can't reduce my calories or my body will go into starvation mode?? Thanks!

Replies

• lola146
    Options
    Oops not gumm I mean gym!!
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    i would make sure you are measuring your food first. if you are then give it another week and see what happens. also i seriously doubt you are in starvation mode as what most people thing of as as starvation mode does not exist.
    Feel free to add me. i have had periods where i lost nothing and then out of nowhere i lose 7 lbs. (actually just happened this week)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't a long time. how much weight do you need to lose?
  • lola146
    Options
    I will take more care measuring but I do generally weigh everything! Hopefully ill loose 7 pounds out of nowhere too lol!
  • lola146
    Options
    I want to loose a couple of stone! 2 weeks isn't long but when your working hard and notbseeing results it is lol!
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    Are you doing any weight/strength training?
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When i Started going to the gym and adjusting my diet 3 weeks ago, i didnt lose anything for 2 weeks, then the scale said last night i was down 3 lbs. i took my measurements again and i am down 2 inches. I just figured it take a little while for your body to adjust, I don't know.
  • lola146
    Options
    Doing high cardio and strength training! I have thought it might take my body a while to adjust then hopefully have a decent loss! Fingers crossed!
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    i have noticed when i do strength training i retain water and gain muscle so that may effect the scale number.
  • katidid213
    katidid213 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Let me know how it works out and I'll keep you posted.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 too. There could be a ton of factors.

1) PMS--bloat? With that--are you drinking as much water as you should (not the minimum, but enough for your weight)?
    2) Exercise changes usually leave us with some extra initial weight.
    3) Not measuring precisely. Are you using a digital scale for everything?
    4) Tweak your macros a bit (carbs/protein/fat). I really didn't like MFP's default.
  • lola146
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Digital weight watchers scales very precise! Good thinking about the water and strength training that holds water! I think I'm going to reduce my carb in take on days I'm not excercising!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

1200 calories isn't a lot especially if you are exercising regularily
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, iv been eating 1200 cals a day and going to the gumm 3 times a week. I've lost 7 pounds since 10th jan but have now plateaued and stayed the same for 2 weeks! Can anyone recommend what to do as Its telling me I can't reduce my calories or my body will go into starvation mode?? Thanks!

What's your height and how much do you have to lose? Are you exercising, if so doing what?
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would say 1200 cals is to low for you. What is your current weight, height??
  • lola146
    Options
    I am 5 ft 8 and weigh 182 pounds at the mo? Excercise doing mostly cardio and some strength training 3 times a week?
  • lola146
    Options
    Ps sometimes eat some excercise calories but not always? Should I be?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft and I'm on 1530 cals a day and losing...
    You're not eating nearly enough, that's why your body is hanging on to everything.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I would try eating 1,500 calories. I was eating 1,200, sometimes even less, calories for the longest time and wasn't seeing any results. You don't have to eat back your calories if you aren't hungry. Ever since I increased my calories to 1500 the pounds started to come off again.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Ps sometimes eat some exercise calories but not always? Should I be?

Read this it should answer most of you questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo