Elliptical

Options
Does anyone else really have trouble using the elliptical machine at the gym?
I'm fairly short (5'3) and my legs don't seem to be long enough for it, so I end up worn out after a few minutes. Does anyone else struggle with them or have any tips on using them? Hints would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• fight_for_fit
    Options
    Try less of an incline?
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This may sound stupid, but are there other kinds/brands at your gym? I know when I used to go to the gym there were certain brands that I could not use. I am 6'1" and my knees would hit the front post (annoying). Some brands and set ups just felt better.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can jog on the treadmill and do uphill trekking just find but the eliptical is really hard on my legs. Espceially my knees.
  • Mistykcmo
    Mistykcmo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try the EFX machines if your gym has them. I absolutely love the EFX. You can adjust the incline where you cant on the eliptical...at least not at my gym.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am shorter than you, well only by about an inch ;) but I have never had problems on the elliptical. This includes different brands. I say this gently as I don't know your fitness level but perhaps you just need to increase your fitness level and with time it will get better.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This may sound stupid, but are there other kinds/brands at your gym? I know when I used to go to the gym there were certain brands that I could not use. I am 6'1" and my knees would hit the front post (annoying). Some brands and set ups just felt better.

Yeah that's actually not stupid at all... depending on the brand it may be more suitable for your gait. I know lifefitness is AWESOME for me (I'm 5'2" by the way) and precore is really good too... but whatever the hell is in my basement is like ridiculous and I can't stand it.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options

This is how it is for me as well!! there are a few different types at my gym and only one type of them works comfortably for me (barely) because my legs don't smack into it haha.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    Different manufacturers have different stride lengths, and some actually have adjustable stride lengths. We got a Precor center drive that we absolutely love because the stride was the only one that I tried that fit my short legs. :-) The model above the one we bought had adjustable stride lengths, but both my husband and I were very comfortable so we didn't spend the extra money.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical. It raises my heart rate too high, even on the lowest setting. I've never been able to do more than 10 minutes without getting really sick.
  • GosuLoli
    Options
    Thanks! They only have one kind at my gym (it's a uni gym) and I've not quite figured out how to adjust the incline or stride length, I can't find a button for it, but I'll have to ask one of the staff there next time I go. My fitness is probably a bigger factor than I thought though, it's nowhere near what it should be for someone of my age.
    Cheers for all the advice :)
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks! They only have one kind at my gym (it's a uni gym) and I've not quite figured out how to adjust the incline or stride length, I can't find a button for it, but I'll have to ask one of the staff there next time I go. My fitness is probably a bigger factor than I thought though, it's nowhere near what it should be for someone of my age.
    Cheers for all the advice :)

Keep on keepin' on and that fitness level will improve in no time! :)
  • ililexy
    Options
    I bought one for the house off amazon for 169$ and it has a 13 inch stride. I am 5,2 and it's a perfect fit!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with that and I am 5,0. My problem with the elliptical is my feet start going numb after about 20 minutes. I try to adjust my feet and it works temporarily. Its really unconfortable to the point where I avoid getting on it now.