Education of trainers?

Options
What sort of training do most Trainers have in a gym? Are they dispensing nutritional advice to clients with any sort of formal training in nutritional science and biochemistry?

Seems that some people are told some pretty weird stuff by trainers on this forum.

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find good nutritional advice anywhere without diving into the sea of useless info.

For every study, there are two to contradict it. Protein seems to be the biggest thing among trainers to misinform people about. I have been doing plenty of research on this, and it now seems that many studies are supporting this, and that the meat/dairy & supplement industry have been grossly over-estimating the amount of protein needed daily.

Even the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) - an association which gets sponsorships and funding by the supplement industry announced this :

The RDA (recommended dietary allowance) for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight of adults (or roughly 0.36 grams per lb of body weight). Or I have also seen advised that women need at least 46 grams of protein per day, and men need at least 56 grams of protein per day (to avoid deficiency).

NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) recommends that for active people ,endurance and strength training, a higher intake is advised at around 0.4-0.6 per lb of bodyweight (and up to 0.8g/lb bw for full time athletes).
    *Note that most of these “body weights” for calculating protein are more based on “ideal” (or even “fat free”) weight.

I have had many trainers push the 1-2 grams per lb. (not even lean body weight), and thats just insane. Our bodies apparently can't even absorb more than 20-30 grams per meal. This would make sense, when we have excess nutrients that the body doesn't need or can't use, they are excreted. Why is protein different?

Learning this has saved me from double scooping my protein powder, and making it last 2-3 times as long, while still achieving my goal.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My trainer did online courses and offers nutritional advice, doesnt mean I follow it ;) She told me one time if I ate more then 1400 calories a day I would gain weight, I LOL'd! And what Chard said is true, I have been told many times by her to eat 0.8 grams of protien per lb of weight.

I worked with a sub trainer who had a degree in fitness/nutrition and she was awesome! She explained things to me and I felt she had more knowledge over all then most of the trainers I have worked with in the past :) I guess before you hire a trainer you have to ask questions about their educational back ground.

My gym has a "nutrition expert" on site to answer questions. He really didnt have any advise for a person who has a gluten allergy, Im almost positive he had no idea what I was talking about.
  • HollyBmomof3
    HollyBmomof3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had one trainer who was also a registered dietitian. She gave sound advise while other trainers ive had did not. I've looked around here for trainers with degrees in kinesiology , physical education, and nutrition and they are far and few between. Most just have a certificate or two.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My gym has a "nutrition expert" on site to answer questions. He really didnt have any advise for a person who has a gluten allergy, Im almost positive he had no idea what I was talking about.

To me that is so scary. You have someone who has taken a few online classes giving out advice. Advice that could potentially kill.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What sort of training do most Trainers have in a gym? Are they dispensing nutritional advice to clients with any sort of formal training in nutritional science and biochemistry?

Seems that some people are told some pretty weird stuff by trainers on this forum.

It depends on the gym. There's some basic info you need to become licensed, but after that it can differ greatly between trainers and gyms. You should be able to find out what kind of education/experience each trainer in your gym has.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Trainers? Education? hahaha.. Before signing up for a trainer, listen to what they are telling other people.. most "trainers" are just people that go to the gym or know about lifting weights but don't really have any training or education.. I am not saying they are all that way, but I have ran into more people that were gym employees turned trainer, then people that knew what they were talking about..
    When you see trainers telling people to rock when lifting, or not to worry about lifting with your back, or completely wrong form.. ya.. and nutrition most trainers are gonna tell you 1200-1400 calories, low carb/high protein and protein powder/creatine.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

To me that is so scary. You have someone who has taken a few online classes giving out advice. Advice that could potentially kill.

I agree! He had no idea what celiacs disease was, and when I told him he had never heard of it!
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    My trainers are super adamant about not being dieticians, they may mention something they like but always with a caveat. The gym has nutritionists, one of which I see every couple of weeks, but honestly I have one registered dietician that has been with me for a year and a half, and she's the only one I listen to. A lot of people just talk without having any "real" education, IMO an RD is the only way to go.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this was hoping some of trainers on the site would respond.