To log or not to log while on holiday

On Wednesday I am going on holiday to New York for 5 days. While I am planning to walk a lot and try and make reasonably good choices I will not be dieting as such.

I am wondering whether or not I should log my calories and exercise. Given that I will be eating out a lot it will be an estimate at best but it might help me not overeat by too much

Do you log while you are away and have decided to give yourself a break from dieting.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Up to you. 5 days isn't going to kill you long term even if you go crazy.

I personally log my food on vacations, but I don't really care (much) if I go over. It is just good info for me to have and I find it interested. It really gives you perspective as to how I got so overweight when I can go to a gourmet restaurant and eat 3500 calories in 1.5 hours. It also gives me the data later on to say, yeah, I only lost 0.5 pounds that month, but I was over calories by 1000 per day that week, so I'm all good. It also keeps me in the habit of logging.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Yes log even on holiday, even if it's just estimates. It keeps you mindful of the end goal, overall health for the duration of you time on earth. <<Whoaaoaooaoao Trippy. Sry too much coffee this morning :)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I just got back from a trip. I set my "goal" to maintenance and logged away and guesstimated as best I could.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    I just got back from a trip. I set my "goal" to maintenance

That is a good idea, I will just get annoyed if I am about 1000 calories over a day but if I set it to maintenance I will feel a bit better, even if I eat the same. It might also encourage me to walk around a lot which will help a little bit!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I just got back from a trip. I set my "goal" to maintenance

That is a good idea, I will just get annoyed if I am about 1000 calories over a day but if I set it to maintenance I will feel a bit better, even if I eat the same. It might also encourage me to walk around a lot which will help a little bit!

Also, if you have a smart phone, you can get a pedometer or gps app to use to track the walking. I like the runtastic ones. Didn't use them this trip because my main "exercise" was swimming, but the next trip I go on which will be more walking, I'm planning to use them.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    We are going to London this weekend and I plan on logging. My husband knows how important this is to me, so when he booked our hotel he made sure there was a fitness center and a bathroom scale. I took my scale on a prior trip we made a couple of weeks ago - but we drove - so the added weight of the scale didn't matter.

I don't look at this as a "diet" but a change in my lifestyle that I need to keep up with regardless of whether at home or on vacation. So, yes, logging I will be doing!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I just got back from a trip. I set my "goal" to maintenance and logged away and guesstimated as best I could.

This.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Take a break figure it's going to be a gain and start back when you get home. Maybe you could half azz log, but unless you plan on doing something with that information whats the point.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I don't. Not even when I was actively losing. I eat what I want, drink too much, walk more than normal and come home within two pounds of where I left. Five days won't make a bit of difference - except maybe some extra water weight from travelling and salty restaurant food - that will drop back off in threee days.
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    I don't log when I'm on vacation. Especially short ones. After logging for so long, you start to remember roughly how much calories something is. I just roughly estimate a little in my head.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    I have never logged on holiday, but eat as well as I can for breakfast and lunch each day, and as many dinners as I can, and walk, walk, walk. I went to Savannah, GA for a week last month and ate fried oysters, shrimp and grits, pralines, etc and still lost a pound.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    I log cuz it's my lifestyle. I'm not on a diet.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I wouldn't log it personally. Holidays are rare for me so I'd just kick back and enjoy! I think I'd be sensible in my decisions compared to what I would have been at one time. Especially if it was just 5 days. If it were 2 weeks I'd think differently maybe.

Zara :flowerforyou:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I log cuz it's my lifestyle. I'm not on a diet.

See I'd say the opposite. It's a lifestyle, so life is going to happen. Enjoy it and not log. Your lifestyle will be waiting for you when you come back into reality. Not saying your wrong just thought it was interesting we had the opposite opinions because this is a lifestyle change! X
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't. It's only 5 days and it's in New York so I'm sure you're going to be doing A LOT of walking, probably much more than you normally would during the day. Enjoy your vacation and get back on track when you get home.

Please note: I am trying to be helpful. My post is not meant to be rude and/or negative in any way.
  • I find it helpful to help keep me in line and make myself at least aware of how awful some things are that I am eating for future ref.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    I would enjoy your vacation and not worry about tracking calories. It's hard to estimate calories when you are eating out anyways. You'll burn off a ton of calories walking everywhere in NY so just go easy on the drinking and limit the late night eating and you will be fine!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Log.. you'd be surprised how well you keep CLOSER to your calorie goals than if you don't log.
    Expect to splurge a little bit but that's ok too .. ENJOY and Safe Trip to You! :smile:
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    I just got home yesterday from a week of holiday. I didn't log a thing. I ran and walked when I was away and was mindful of my food choices, but my focus was on having fun. I have no regrets about it.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Maybe instead of logging, since that may lead to obssessing over numbers, count food groups instead. Make sure you get your nutritional needs met and don't be afraid to eat one unhealthy item every now and then!