Falling off the Wagon... How to Remotivate?

Options
This past weekend was tough. Rejected from a job I really wanted and a SO I was starting to love. I started slipping yesterday afternoon and don't imagine having the energy to get back from this for the next few days. I'm already feeling guilty because I had a +1 gain on the week before when I weighed myself yesterday. When you guys have had too much terrible news and feel really awful like this, do you give yourself a few days away from MFP to cope, or do you immediately use your diets as coping mechanisms? If I pick a day I know I can really get back into it - say Thursday - is it terrible to not feel overly guilty until then about what I eat?

Replies

• sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    of course you can give yourself time to be sad, but DO NOT allow yourself to fall off the health wagon! you have worked too hard!!!!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me if I stop logging in and take a "break" thats when I have officially fallen off the wagen. When I start making excuses thats when I have to work twice as hard and hold myself even more accountable.

Thats what works for me, though. Only you know yourself and what will be positive for YOU.
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think that you have the right to be sad about what you're going through for sure! But don't let falling off the wagon be another thing that gets you down. What you're going through is enough without the stress of guilt for falling off the wagon. I think that overpowering your feelings and taking control of your diet and exercise will actually make you feel better about yourself even faster than allowing yourself to cope and leaning on food or no-exercise as a crutch and telling yourself you'll get back into it on Thursday. Try it for one day, eat health and do your favourite exercise, guaranteed you will be happy you did it.

No one ever regrets clean eating and exercise when the day is done, but you can regret not doing those things.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I think that you have come a long way losing 30+ pounds! I know life sucks sometimes and not everything goes as planned.... yes you could totally take a few days off and use food as a coping mechanism to get over your hardships, but once you are over your hardships you will just be angry with yourself for using food to cope.

Instead of food, maybe workout extra hard to let the anger out!!! Try and not be down on yourself, spin it around to something positive and use this crappy time to push yourself harder in your fitness goals area!!! I just really believe if you cope with food, you will be angrier at yourself by the end of the week...
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Ah, yes. You are an emotional eater. This provides you comfort. Sometimes when I am overwhelmed with a lot I find it easier to just step back from everything (gym, calorie counting, restricting, etc). I would be cautious of going overboard though" i.e.: eating 3 bags of large chips, 2 chocolate bars, and a bottle of soda in one sitting (haha).

It can be hard to get back on track though. It is helpful for me to sit down and make up a plan... example: all junk food out of the house, make sure I have healthy groceries, check when I am free to start back at gym and how many days am I able to get in this week, etc. That is what I had to do for this week since it's been a rough past few weeks for me.

Best wishes!