Cheese please!!

Options
So I love love LOVE cheese but there's so much fat in it. I've recently found this Jalapeno and Red Pepper Monteray Jack and it's sooo yummy. It's about 8g of fat for 30 g, and up until yesterday I didn't have a food scale. I weighed ONE little slice, probably just under a cm thick and it was about 2.5 inches long, and that was 25g... seriously?! I was angry and thought it was crazy that it was so high in fat and ate like 6 pieces.

ANYWAY, does anyone know of good cheese (or cheese substitute) that is low in fat and calories? I've tried laughing cow but I've eaten way too much of it and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I need a good solid cheese, different flavors would be excellent!

Thanks!

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I feel for you because i love cheese as well...all types of cheese. I was going to suggest laughing cow but you already posted that so I've got nothing

CHEESE IS GOOD!!!
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've heard mozzarella is lowest in fat.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like the mini baby bell cheese lite.
    They are the round ones in wax, I think they're like 50 cal each.
    Yummy!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm from Wisconsin, so cheese has been the hardest thing for me to cut -- good cheese is EVERYWHERE in this state. While there is no replacement for good, fat-filled cheese, I get my fix on the Cheesehead Light string cheese. I also use the 2% milk blends for shredded cheese and they are good.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    The new reduced fat cheeses are far superior to the reduced fat cheese of a few years ago. Now they're made with 2% or skim milk instead of water. They taste and melt pretty much the same as a full fat cheese, but with about half the fat and not much more sodium. Kraft has a full line of block, sliced and shredded cheese made with 2% milk and they are all definitely worth it.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The Cabot 75 percent reduced fat white cheddar is awesome. The entire 8 oz block is only 480 calories, 60 per ounce. The orange cheddar however is aweful!!!!!
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    mmm! I love baby bell! Thanks!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like these cheeses: https://www.shopcabot.com/products.php?catID=6

The Cabot 50% reduced fat Pepperjack - 1oz = 70 calories. (not on the site for some reason) I assume their low fat cheese follow the same nutritional values. I get this from our local grocery store.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I keep my real cheese. I've just taught myself how to be satisfied with a regular 1oz portion. If you take your time and cut it into very small/thin slices, you can really get a lot of mileage out of 1oz. :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love my cheese and refuse to live without it!

I have learned to slice it very thin from the block.......1 oz gives me 6-7 slices and just enough for a serving of triscuits. Very satisfying and is my favorite mid morning or afternoon break.

I also love the 2% cheeses.....the low or now fat once just do not have a cheese consistancy and in my opinion it starts to be a different product-so why bother!! I want CHEESE!!

Also, I treat myself to an expensive cheese ever few weeks. Same serving sizes, but it is so yummy I do not feel I am missing out on anything!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chevre flavored goat cheese? Unbelievabley yummy, strong flavor, creamy goodness! lol Not to mention less calories, check it out at the grocery store in the specialty cheese section
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Lauing cow cheese - a cream cheese subsitute

Black Diamond Old Cheddar light from Metro
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!! I took a trip to the grocery store last night and got myself someBaby Bell Light and I found Monteray Jack with Jalapeno slices by Crackle Barrel, which are 6g of fat each, BUT I can cut them up to put on my triscuits and it's still less than my one piece of cheese sliced from the brick.

I was looking for that Cabot brand but I don't know if it was just the store I was in or the fact that I live in Canada but I couldn't find it. I will keep searching though!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    OMG - I love cheese too - but I find that eating the high fat raw variety (goat, camembert, brie, blue) works best because - heck, that 30 g cube of it is enough flavor to cure that craving. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the fat you will get from cheese, unless you are eating the whole brick of cheee.. :huh:
    What I've found too is if you go with a reduced fat cheese like allegro, sodium content is far higher.

UGH - 3 more weeks without it... 3 more...:sad:

oh, and laughing cow? :sick: I don't get the allure of it at all.