Adding flavor to veggies

Options
What do you use to add flavor to vegetables? I've been eating them raw lately with some ranch dressing to dip them in but need some other ideas. As of now, I can't do most veggies just plain. What are some things you season them up with, whether raw or cooked??

Replies

• toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Chicken stock .
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I roast mine with a little bit of olive oil, garlic powder and onion powder (or actual garlic and onions depending on what I have on hand). Rosemary is also tasty. I find I can eat cooked veggies more readily than raw ones, so I cook up a large batch, portion them out individually and freeze them. They end up a little watery that way, but I don't mind as much.
  • ladyblue301
    ladyblue301 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like hummus with veggies for a good dip.

I mostly eat cooked veggies, roasted green beans and beets nothing fancy. Hope this helps a little.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters. . . ROASTING - Yum!

Hummus is the best too but watch the portion size.
  • caedo007
    Options
    If your looking for easy then there is a vegetable supreme seasoning that works well with microwaved veggies though you need to watch the sodium levels.

My favorites though are grilled carrots, just until they caramelize, no seasoning required.

Raw I don't use anything but I have found that shaving or cutting them very thin helps with the texture and the taste, my kids wont eat celery or carrots unless I have or slice them as described, but now they view them as treats.

I also like to add rice wine with just a touch of sugar to taste with some chili flakes, then add very thinly sliced cucumbers, onions, carrot and celery, let it marinade a bit and it's pretty good if you like the sharp taste of vinegar offset just a bit by the sugar
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking them I like to either roast with olive oil and salt and pepper, but if I am sauteeing I sautee some onion or shallot and then add the blanched veggies. Raw, hummus or italian vinegrette I delicious!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Salsa!!! I add salsa to everything! Veggies, baked potato, eggs, everything. Adds so much flavor with little cals. I think the one I use is 5 cals per TBSP. so yum.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite meals is pan-friend vegetables with balsamic vinegar and half an ounce of goat cheese. The balsamic and goat cheese are both really strong flavors, so you don't need very much of them, but you can still taste the veggies through them.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just a bit of garlic or onion powder and just a pinch of jalapeño shredded cheese. Just a bit isn't a bad thing I only use about half a shot glass full, not much at all but it is nice and strong and awesome cheese texture.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Roasting or sautéing with a little salt and olive oil brings out the natural flavor. You could also add herbs -- fresh parsley, basil, rosemary, cilantro, thyme are my favorites. Squeeze on some lemon juice at the end. Yum.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I pan fry, steam or boil them with balsamic vinegar added to the water. Yummy and tastes salty even though it's not. As for dipping them raw I am a huge fan of Bolthouse Farms dressings, especially the Caesar Parm. It's in the cooler section near the raw vegetables, not with the other dressings.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    1) Montreal steak seasoning on sauteed mushrooms
    2) Roasted vegetables with chili powder and red pepper flakes (broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini work really well here)
    3) I add pressed garlic and a can of diced tomatoes to sauteed bell peppers and yellow onions - makes a great sauce for chicken
    4) Hummus
    5) Yogurt dip
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    What do you use to add flavor to vegetables? I've been eating them raw lately with some ranch dressing to dip them in but need some other ideas. As of now, I can't do most veggies just plain. What are some things you season them up with, whether raw or cooked??

sometimes i mix non fat blue cheese or ranch dressing with a lot of hot sauce to dip... works better for me
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Raw veg dipped in hummous or tzaziki.

I find roast and grilled veg flavourful, done with a little spray of olive oil, and salt. Sometimes add a dash of lemon or balsamic vinegar added after cooking. Roast in a 220C oven or grill on a cast iron grill pan or on the BBQ.

I usually have microwaved frozen vegetables in my packed lunch. I like to add a dollop of chilli paste, pesto, salsa verde or salsa. A few drops of truffle oil or sesame oil would be good too.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    a small dash of sea salt to raw veggies is wonderfully simple!
  • Dechant63
    Options
    Just a tiny bit of salt. Remember ranch has a ridiculous amount of calories. So be sure you're counting all the calories.