Bosu anyone??

Options
Hey yall, just curious if anyone uses a Bosu ball-thingy, and is it worth me buyin' one to add to my "home gym"? Pros, cons? Thanks!

Replies

• 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i just ordered one, 2 minutes ago. i used it last year in the gym when i worked out w a personal trainer. everything is funner and harder on it and uses different muscles bc you have to balance. you can do even step aerobics like cardio on it. so i loved it. it was my fave
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything you do on a bosu is going to add a component of 'core' to the exercise (e.g. doing single arm chest press while bridging on a bosu will turn the standard press into a compound exercise engaging your core). In short, they are a great way to turn simpler movements into a more complex workout if that is your goal or to improve on overall balance.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff I see people doing on a bosu ball appears 1) unsafe and 2) unstable. I know that's part of the point, to work on core strenght, however if you are losing your form for your primary move (we'll say tri extensions) then you're not really getting the tri work that you're aiming for and you're running the risk of doing something unsafe. I don't go near them unless I'm planking or working push ups, simply keeping proper form while doing my primary work is core work enough.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos that use a bosu ....

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=equipment&search=Bosu

Video clips (and customer reviews) might give you some insight
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There is so much you can do with one. I love that darn half-ball.
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i just ordered one, 2 minutes ago.

haha, perfect timin' for me to post! Thank yall, I think I should invest :wink:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Best workout you'll get from it is blowing the damn thing up.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i despise it, and won't use it.
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff I see people doing on a bosu ball appears 1) unsafe and 2) unstable. I know that's part of the point, to work on core strenght, however if you are losing your form for your primary move (we'll say tri extensions) then you're not really getting the tri work that you're aiming for and you're running the risk of doing something unsafe. I don't go near them unless I'm planking or working push ups, simply keeping proper form while doing my primary work is core work enough.

I can definitely see this bein' a problem, and I wouldn't do anything on it unless I could use proper and safe form.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    WAste of money.

At the gym I saw this girl doing bicep girls while standing on a bosu.

Uh..how about putting down the pink dumbell, picking something heavier and actually making a change?

It really is a waste of money.
  • JennaL890
    Options
    I love it! Since using it I have noticed that it is definitely working. I would say it is worth it:)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have used ours a few times, but my partner mostly uses it as a footstool when working in the home office.

Research activities first. I find I am far more likely to use the balance ball, but they are not interchangeable.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy one to add to my at home work outs, but they are too damn expensive for what they are! Say whaaa? How much! No way! I'll just use one at the gym.

They are great to add in core during a regular exercise. I never stand on the ground doing anything. If I can stand do the exercise, I grab a bosu to add a little more to it.

Try an overhead tricep extension while also kneeling on a bosu ball. That is a lot of muscles having to work together at once.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBTriExt.html
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have one. It sits against the back wall of my gym area. Sometimes I do pushups or squats on it.
    I'm rather glad that I found it at a thrift store for $8.00, because I'd be really pissed if I wasted $60+ on it.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed for image insertion...

http://fucDELETETHISkarounditis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/7.jpg

ETA: censored by MFP lel
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    I have one. It sits against the back wall of my gym area. Sometimes I do pushups or squats on it.
    I'm rather glad that I found it at a thrift store for $8.00, because I'd be really pissed if I wasted $60+ on it.

$60 plus?!?!?! When I was looking, they were like $150! Where did you see it for $60?!?!?!?!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

$60 plus?!?!?! When I was looking, they were like $150! Where did you see it for $60?!?!?!?!

I'd tell you but then I would be encouraging a waste of money
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I use it primarily for some core strength exercises, balance exercises, and stretching...I don't do anything weird like trying to stand on it while I'm doing squats or dumbbell presses or anything...that stuff just looks dangerous to me...besides, when I squat I want to squat big and I need to be in the power rack in case I lose my ****. I got mine for $90 from costco...it came with 4 DVDs, but I don't really use them...wife uses the cardio one and I use the balance one on occasion.

I use mine pretty much every night while I'm watching tv
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    I love mine. I use it primarily for some core strength exercises, balance exercises, and stretching...I don't do anything weird like trying to stand on it while I'm doing squats or dumbbell presses or anything...that stuff just looks dangerous to me...besides, when I squat I want to squat big and I need to be in the power rack in case I lose my ****. I got mine for $90 from costco...it came with 4 DVDs, but I don't really use them...wife uses the cardio one and I use the balance one on occasion.

I use mine pretty much every night while I'm watching tv

Also, tons of cardio moves you can do on a Bosu! Jumping and touching each toe one after the other. Side squat, jump to the opposite side, side squat, jump back to the other side.

My gym has a Bosu class. There's ALL kinds of things you can do on them. My favorite (really most hated) is burpees with the Bosu. Actually lifting the Bosu up each time you jump up.

Push ups on a flipped over Bosu are rough too. You have to keep your balance and do push ups while keeping steady.

Don't listen to people. There are TONS you can do with them. Do some googling.

OH and sitting on them do to abs. Just like using the full ball.