salmon

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The main thing is DO NOT OVERCOOK it. Personally I hate it with anything sweet and prefer it seasoned lightly - just a little garlic powder and black pepper, maybe some fresh dill. But whatever seasoning you prefer, overcooking it will ruin it.
  • deniseandjelich
    deniseandjelich Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lemon Pepper
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like to top mine with a mixture of plain greek yogurt, fresh grated aged parmesean, and a no-salt garlic and herb spice blend. Spread that over the top, and put it in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
  • lrbassmom
    Options
    I buy my salmon (big slabs of it) from Sam's Club (Costco equivalent), I slice it into individual size pieces, wrap it in Press N Seal (saran wrap with a sticky side), stick it in a freezer bag and freeze.

When it comes time to cook it, I will thaw it in a brine solution (this does two things- thaws it fast and kind of seasons it). Then when thawed I will marinate for an hour or so in good quality maple syrup. Then I grill them outside. If you're wanting to cook it inside, I would either broil it or use a George Foreman grill only make sure you drizzle a little olive oil on both sides first.

I"ve tried other seasoning but the family tends to prefer the maple.

And the maple salmon would go really good with a baked sweet potato. Yummy!

Dang. Now I'm hungry.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of different ways. Most people use lemon and herbs. My boyfriend loves when I bake it with honey (you have to cook it at a lower temperature if you do this) and then put it on sourdough bread with some mozzarella.

That. Sounds. Awesome Teach me your ways...
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not only is the quality important, but the TYPE of salmon you're buying makes a huge difference. Alaskan vs. Sockey vs. Atlantic... There are others I'm sure but that's what I see at the store around here. I prefer Atlantic. I spray a little EVOO with my Misto sprayer, add garlic powder, onion powder, parsley and lemmon pepper (no salt!) and bake at 450 for about 20 minutes, depending on the thickness. Then I squeeze a little lemon juice on just before serving.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    thats what we are having tonight,,,, i cut up tomato and red pepper and use that dressing with fresh dill, so so good, they all love it here.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    The quality of fish more than any other meat is crucual. Look for a good fish monger, or seafood specialty shop, places like whole foods also carry good fish.

The stuff you get in the grocery store is farm raised and not that good it is actually a gray colored flesh (due to artificial diet) and then it is died that pinkish orange color.

Look for fresh wild caught salmon, prepare it the same day you buy it, and keep it cold until you are ready to cook it.

Marinating in milk is a great way to make your seafood taste fresher removing much of that fishy taste.

IMHO sweet and spicy sauces are the best with salmon
    quinoa, spinach, asparagus make great sides
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a high oil fish, it can be over cooked...but, fairly easy to cook proper. I pull it out of the oven or out of the pan just before I figure it is done and let rest. Salmon has such a great taste on it's own, but lends itself well to just about any flavor you want on it. There are lots of great toppers suggested. I also prefer mine grilled, with nothing more then a little olive oil. Farm raised is not the best way to go.....to many things added to keep the fish healthy in the over crowded space they live in. Wild Alaskan is fantastic, a bit more pricy. Well more on the left coast. Happy cooking.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I do a drizzle of olive oil and rub it in, then some salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. Bake it in a fairly hot oven- 425 on convection is what I do- for 15-20 minutes and it'll be juicy inside and have a nice crust on the outside.
    Yes!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!!!! I'll have to keep the the post and try each way to cook the salmon and hopfully won't get bored in trying to eat healthy. Thanks a million
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Cedar Plank:
    Take a cedar plank and soak it over night.
    Put the salmon on top of the plank with a little bit of sea salts and maybe some lemon slices on top.
    Brush a layer of olive oil on top.
    Grill.
    The flavor from the wood will go into the salmon and create some wonderful flavors.

Salmon Terriyaki style.
    Lightly spray or brush oil on the surface of the salmon.
    George Foreman that fish.
    Heat up some terriyaki sauce in a frying pan to medium heat. I like to use Yoshida's and add a touch of garlic.
    Take the salmon from the grill directly into the frying pan, flip it and roll it around.
    Serve on top of rice.