insatiable

Options
I have been doing so good(lost 18 lbs so far) - but today have been overpowered by this non-stop feeling of wanting to eat. I am not hungry now, as I have had a proper lunch, but cannot control these feelings of wanting to eat something. For the last two months, I have not been experiencing that, but today it has hit me. I wonder if it is that time of the month, or because I went off the wagon a little bit yesterday and ate some chocolate chips. Either way, it's pure hell - I feel like a drug addict that needs a fix, and yet I know that even if I indulge, the feeling won't go away and will persist. I feel uncomfortable in my own skin - I would go for a walk if I could, but am at my desk at work and cannot leave. I feel tired and anxious as well. The weekends are my biggest problem in terms of food and sleep because I get out of my routine. I have to tell myself to just hold on, that this feeling will pass and I just need to get through it but it is getting the best of me.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Have some coffee or green tea. The caffeine should help.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Chew gum and drink a bottle of water..

Sometimes that little bit of sugar and the full feeling of the water will do.

BE STRONG! YOU CAN DO THIS!! :smile:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I got an insatiable attack over the weekend. The only thing that would finally stop it was when I microwaved a small amount of bacon and just ate it.

Other things I try are drinking water, brushing my teeth real well, taking a walk, and throwing out (and pouring soap on) possible binge foods. Not all at the same time.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water, also I find when I have the urge to eat and am not hungry, I chew on gum. I eat when I get bored so chewing gum really helps me. But I understand how you feel, I get out of my routine on the weekend also. I have a really hard time on the weekends staying under my calories.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Congrats for losing so much already!

Just remember, you didn't lose all that weight by doing what you felt like every day. Keep walking the same path you're on, and you'll be golden.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Congrats for losing so much already!

Just remember, you didn't lose all that weight by doing what you felt like every day. Keep walking the same path you're on, and you'll be golden.

This. One day isn't going to kill you.....just get back on track tomorrow......Just dont let it keep slipping....the longer you go the harder it is to get back....

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The last two times that really overpowering sensation of craving came on, I tried eating something high potassium: bananas or nuts, with a big glass of water. It actually really helped (might have been placebo effect, but you never know!)
  • Skiing914
    Options
    Hi, it helps to have low calorie, low carb snacks with you so when you get like that, you have something to fall back on without falling off the wagon. I bring an EAS AdvantEDGE Chocolate Fudge drink with me to drink at 3:00 p.m. every day. I keep it nice and cold and look forward to drinking it every afternoon. It's 17g of protein, 3g net carbs and 110 calories. No sugar. It's delicious and the protein will make you feel satisfied until dinner and there's no sugar or carbs to make you feel hungry. You can get this drink at Walmart or by the case at BJs and there are different flavors. Also, try a cup of hot tea or a piece of fruit.

Hang in there and try to keep a positive outlook. You will be fine.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you like veggies, it is good to snack on celery, carrot or cucumber sticks. I can eat green beans right out of the can or steamed vegetables as a snack. PLUS be sure to drink a lot of water, tea, anything sugar free.

Good Luck!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Tired, anxious, insatiable. What is your daily caloric intake target? What is your total daily energy expenditure?
  • TraceyG1971
    Options
    Sometimes I have noticed that if I eat a lot of breads or sugars I end up feeling like I am starving the next day.... so I try to avoid those two things. I do treat myself now and then but if I feel the way you are, then I drink more water and brush my teeth. Not sure how the brushing teeth works but it does and of course the water helps you feel fuller. Hope this helps:smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    when i hear that word insatiable, i think sex.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    when i hear that word insatiable, i think sex.

beat me to it.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    When we lose weight, our levels of leptin (the hormone dictating satiety) decreases and our levels of ghrelin ("hunger hormone") increases. It sucks, but it's just how it works. Your body is trying to retain its fat stores.

My advice would be to make sure you aren't eating at too large of a deficit, try to eat more fiber and protein (they help with satiety), and eat snacks. If I don't eat for more than 3 or 4 hours, I am an all-consuming monster. Snacking but making sure that you log your snacks, can be really helpful.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It must be in the air because I've felt the same way. I have chewed gum and I've already had 14 cups of water today so I feel like i'm going to float away.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Super Glue your lips shut.
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know folks have mentioned it before but check how much water you have had. If you think you might be short, resolve to simply drink a glass and then wait 10 minutes and see how you are feeling then.
  • Shielagrace
    Options
    Many times lately I've found myself doing the same thing you describe...grazing. I work from my home, so the temptation is always there in the Kitchen. Sometimes I think it would be better to be back in an office where food is not so readily available. When I found myself wanting to graze at the office, I quit bringing food--except for what I was going to eat that day.
  • lucky224
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I feel much better today. My caloric intake is 1600 calories or less, and I have been burning 300-400 per day. I think I was out of sorts because I was just coming back from the weekend. I am very disciplined during the week, but not so much on the weekends. I tend to eat a little more, not always good calories, and my sleep cycle goes out of whack. My current goals now are to make small changes on the weekends until I can get them more in line with the weekdays. I drink lots of fluids all day, so that is not an issue. I still feel like I want to eat something, but it's not as bad as it was yesterday, and I didn't give in to it yesterday either. I am going to look for some of the products suggested and keep them handy - and I am going to try the teeth brushing thing too. Thanks again.