middle-of-the-night snack

Options
Ok - I couldn't sleep last night to save my life. I'm older - it happens. But as I was tossing and turning at about 1:30am, I realized my stomach was growling and I was hungry, so I got up, watched some TV and had a snack. (and of course, fell asleep about an hour before my alarm went off) :grumble: :yawn:

I'm just curious - what day would you log the snack?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    If it was a naughty, snack like crisps or chocloate.... just go for a 20-30 minute walk and don't bother logging it!!!

just DONT DO IT AGAIN!!!

DRINK A GLASS OF COLD WATER TO FILL UP THE SPACE!!!!

boom!!
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would log it for the upcoming day, since technically, it was after midnight of the previous day. Also, since I have already closed out the previous day's diary, it's over and done with. I would take it as a head start on my new day. It's happened to me before too, I had a bunch of almonds and logged it as a snack for the upcoming day.

Continued success!
    Kat
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If it was a naughty, snack like crisps or chocloate.... just go for a 20-30 minute walk and don't bother logging it!!!

just DONT DO IT AGAIN!!!

DRINK A GLASS OF COLD WATER TO FILL UP THE SPACE!!!!

boom!!

Agree with trick. Just count it as a one off. Maybe keep a stock of baby carrots in the fridge. I find them filling with not a lot of cals.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I decided to log it under yesterday's food - only becasue I wanted to start out with a clean slate today, and it was still within my calorie goal for the day yesterday. The snack wasn't too bad - 220 cals of multigrain crackers and port wine pub cheese. Drinking water is a good idea but I drink a glass of water every time I'm in the bathroom anyway.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a healthy snack! Personally I don't much think it matters which day you log it. I take a melatonin supplement at night that works just like a sleeping pill with out the ugly side effects, you might try giving it whirl if you have too much trouble sleeping.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I just don't log it. If you don't log it, it doesn't count. Magic!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you had extra calories from the day before use those first then the current day.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I did it once. I logged it under the upcoming day 1) because it IS part of that 24 hour period, and 2) because I wanted to discourage myself from making a habit of it. Number 2 is important to me because I don't want to fall into that slippery slop trap of rationalizing eating a little extra here and there until I'm no longer in a gray area and am, instead, way over the line and back down the path to where I was before.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Usually I log it under breakfast!!!

But usually a cup of tea does the trick!! No food needed!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This happens to me frequently. Either can't fall asleep or wake at 2 am and can't return to sleep. Realize part of the problem is that I am hungry. Usually drink a big glass of water and go back to bed. If that does not work I get up and have a snack, read, do a puzzle game, watch a recorded TV show and try going back to bed. I add the snack to the previous day whether I have the cals left over or not. (You CAN go back and add things even if you have closed out your diary).

I figure my NEW DAY starts in the morning when I get up. If I had to start out with those calories already logged, I would be very discouraged and probably give up for the day.

Sometimes the snacks are healthy and reasonable. Sometimes they are othewise. I can sense some inner anxiety is present but don't know always know what it is about. It is those times that I tend to eat too much.

Trouble sleeping seems to come with older age for many people. I've tried Melatonin but it did nothing for me. Definitely do not want to take sleeping pills of any kind. Benadryl revs me up. The other day I heard about a product called, "Midnight". I'm gonna check that out at the store first chance I get.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Dec 25th.

Because Christmas calories don't count
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Personally, my goal is average calories per day so if you look at average calories for the week, it won't matter if you put it on the previous or next day.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I frequently wake up up at 2 am or 4 am. Always those two times. I end up getting up and watching tv and having a cup of tea. IfI eat something I would have to clean my teeth again and most of the time that puts me off eating!