Starvation mode under 100 calories a myth

Options
Title should be: Starvation mode under 1200 calories a myth

So many dieters have viewed these words with fear: "starvation mode." Starvation mode is a term used by dieters and dietitians alike to describe the supposed reaction of the body to hold on to every bit of food when calories are severely restricted, causing weight loss to come to a halt.

Dieters are told to keep their calorie intake to a certain level, or risk going into starvation mode. But is starvation mode actually a myth? Let's discuss!

Starvation Mode Myth #1: How Low Can You Go?

Most dieters have seen it written that you should never eat fewer than 1,200 calories per day. This seems to be a magical number that everyone is urged to stick to, no matter their size, activity level or goals.

The starvation mode myth suggests that when you go below 1,200 calories daily, you stop losing weight. Where did this number come from? I'm not sure anyone really knows.

But, it has been suggested that a caloric intake less than this makes it difficult to get the proper nutrition from the food you eat. Therefore, some people suggest that you should only eat less than 1,200 calories per day under the guidance of a doctor.

Starvation Mode Myth #2: Where Did the Myth Come From?

As it turns out, the starvation mode myth originated from a study on starvation, which was conducted in the state of Minnesota. The study was performed on a group of men who were of normal weight.

The study showed that when the men were consistently fed a weight loss diet of 1,500 calories per day, they lost weight. The men lost fat on this diet, and averaged around five to six-percent body fat, which is quite low.

When the men were fed 1,000 calories per day, they continued to lose weight, despite their already low body fat percentage. However, when they ate only 500 calories per day, weight loss began to slow down in proportion to the amount of restricted calories.

So, they DID lose weight when eating the severely restricted diet, but not as quickly as was expected considering the minimal amount of calories consumed. So, there you go! Starvation mode myth was born.

Starvation Mode Myth #3: Why I Don't Buy It.

If starvation mode myth was real, how could anorexics get so thin? Additionally, how could anyone starve to death?

While it is true that the weight loss of the men studied slowed after they were only consuming 500 calories per day, keep in mind that the men were already very thin. Also, 500 calories is MUCH less than the magical 1,200 calorie starvation mode myth number.

Obese individuals who undergo gastric bypass surgery consume only 700 to 900 calories per day, yet still manage to lose weight. This further proves that the starvation mode myth is ONLY a myth!

If you would like to push your weight loss up a notch, why not start a new exercise routine?

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Myth or not ... I'm sorry, but I would be the most hungry, angry b*tch you would ever meet if I ate at 1200 or below
    Forget that noise

Just my two cents :-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    50b4e282afa96f1c3f0006c5.jpg?mw=555
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Amen.

Kids in Sudan are starving. Someone who falls 100 calories short of their BMR of 2200 is not starving. Even if they do it consistently for a year.
  • jenifr818
    Options
    Amen.

Kids in Sudan are starving. Someone who falls 100 calories short of their BMR of 2200 is not starving. Even if they do it consistently for a year.

She wasn't referring to eating a little below BMR of 2200. She was referring to eating less than 1200 calories a day. Big difference
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Why eat 1000 calories a day when you can eat 2000 calories a day and still lose the same amount of weight.. Not to mention the weight you will lose probably won't be muscle.. now will you die eating 1000 calories a day, No.. but you will probably plateau and post on these forums about being stuck, or hit your goal weight and be unhappy with your body.. cause who wants to be 130 and have a 50% BF.

Plus this topic is posted daily.

++ Love the cat picture.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    HA HA Ha ha aha hahhahahaaaaa.....

What's the point? The OP refers to some study done in some state. She uses no facts. Is she advocating anorexia? Is she into thinspiration?

What's the point of this thread? It looks like some lame high school report cut and pasted off the internet with no references to back up the writer's facts.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You fail to mention all the problems the men in the study developed due to participating in the study. That study has actually been referred to as one of the most inhumane ever performed, and that is why it hasn't been done again (to the extent). The health issues they developed more than overrode the fact that they still lost WEIGHT.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    ...lemme get my popcorn
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I ate under 1200 kcal I'd be starving.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ^^This. I mean, unless you count weight loss from self-amputation as a good thing.

Edit: in response to Raynne413
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I never understand the point of these posts. Do you want more people to starve themselves? What is the goal? I suppose you can lose weight by starving yourself, but it's hardly healthy or likely to lead to long term maintenance of your lower weight.

Yes, some anorexics become very thin through starving themselves. Are you suggesting we emulate them? Anorexia is an illness, it's hardly something to be held up as proof that starvation works in an effort to provide rationalizations for people who refuse to nourish their bodies in the pursuit of thinness (or, as they would often have it, "health").

If your goal is to look like an after photo from the Minnesota starvation experiment, go for it. But I would be interested to know why you would choose that as a goal and why you, and so many others, post in this forum to encourage others to do the same.

As for me, I'll take slow, healthy, sustainable weight loss over constant deprivation any time.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    She wasn't referring to eating a little below BMR of 2200. She was referring to eating less than 1200 calories a day. Big difference
    Well, I was referring to the significant amount of scaremongering that initiates as soon as someone falls below the calories recommended by whatever online calorie calculator that person is using.

Another fair point brought up by the OP: how can 1200 be true for both a 6' 400 lbs person and a 5'2" 160 lbs person? It is but a number that someone somewhere came up with and everyone is happy to repeat.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy into "starvation mode" but I do absolutely believe that it is not necessary to starve in order to lose weight and very low calorie diets do not lead to long term success.
  • 2fat2bthin
    Options
    uhm you do know "anorexics" as you say don't just ya know be fine and dandy and just don't eat for a bit then get skinny, and you really shouldn't be encouraging that because if you eat less than 1200calories...it can lead to wantin even less and there ya go you have an eating disorder. And them being skinny isn't a good thing, they go through torture everyday so...uhm yea.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    dead-horse_zps8faed7dc.gif
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Let's just say starvation mode is a myth, for the sake of argument. Who cares? This gives me license to do...what...exactly? Eat a ridiculously low amount of calories and lose lean muscle mass and feel miserable, but yes, probably lose weight, at least for a while?

I will politely decline.
  • jenifr818
    Options
    dead-horse_zps8faed7dc.gif

That GIF is awesome ...

ETA: before I get accused of animal cruelty .... I do not advocate beating animals. :smile:
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I never understand the point of these posts. Do you want more people to starve themselves? What is the goal? I suppose you can lose weight by starving yourself, but it's hardly healthy or likely to lead to long term maintenance of your lower weight.

Yes, some anorexics become very thin through starving themselves. Are you suggesting we emulate them? Anorexia is an illness, it's hardly something to be held up as proof that starvation works in an effort to provide rationalizations for people who refuse to nourish their bodies in the pursuit of thinness (or, as they would often have it, "health").

If your goal is to look like an after photo from the Minnesota starvation experiment, go for it. But I would be interested to know why you would choose that as a goal and why you, and so many others, post in this forum to encourage others to do the same.

As for me, I'll take slow, healthy, sustainable weight loss over constant deprivation any time.

THIS. ^^^ If you want to encourage eating disorders, please do it in another forum. This is called my FITNESS pal.

There are impressionable people here who don't need to be told that starving themselves "can, like, totally, work."

Thanks, and goodbye now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Get off my lawn.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You have successfully critiqued the flaws in your misunderstanding of the topic.

Is it still a strawman if the OP constructed it believing it to be real??
This discussion has been closed.