Questions for moms who lost weight while breastfeeding

Options
This is sort of a spin off of another thread I read (and loved) last night. I am constantly questioning everything I am doing about losing weight while I breastfeed, and thought it would be great to hear from other moms who have been successful. Hopefully this will give me some insight as to what to do and expect. Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions!!!

Age?
Height?
Starting Weight?
Current Weight?
Time it took to lose weight?
Daily calories consumed?
Did your milk supply ever drop?
Did you exercise? If so, what types?
Did you eat back exercise calories?
Any tips/advice?

Thanks so much ladies!!

Replies

• tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Age- 27
    Height- 5'5"
    Starting Weight- 250lbs
    Current Weight- 175lbs
    Time it took to lose weight- 11 months to lose 98 pounds, got pregnant with my third child, then 6 months to lose 35 pounds since having him.
    Daily calories consumed- between 1800 and 1950 or so. Basically my TDEE less 20%.
    Did your milk supply ever drop- nope, never...with either child(I breastfed my last until almost three years old)
    Did you exercise? If so, what types?- last time yes, I ran, did cardio as well. This time I am starting weight lifting and running/cardio.
    Did you eat back exercise calories- They are built into my TDEE so no.
    Any tips/advice- Trust yourself, baby and body. Take it slow and steady. That wins the race. :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Age? 33 now, was 30/31 while nursing my first, and 31/32 while nursing my second
    Height? 5'7.5"
    Starting Weight? 214 was where my weight settled after delivering my second
    Current Weight? 153.6
    Time it took to lose weight? I've lost 60.4 pounds in 356 days
    Daily calories consumed? while nursing, after finding mfp, I was netting around 1800-1900 calories a day. Gross calories, 2400+
    Did your milk supply ever drop? Actually, my milk supply increased as I upped my protein and calorie levels
    Did you exercise? If so, what types? I do a lot of strength training, was doing a lot of cardio (running, Insanity), but stopped a lot of it due to time constraints going back to work
    Did you eat back exercise calories? Yes
    Any tips/advice? Set your profile to one pound a week, use the correct activity level (even if you stay at home, odds are you are NOT sedentary), add your nursing in as either a food or exercise, and eat to your daily goal, including your exercise calories. Most of the women I've seen struggle with losing weight while nursing (myself included, with my eldest), had issues losing because they kept their intake too low. With my first, I tried to eat around 1800 calories total a day, and didn't lose a pound. For the first few months of my youngest daughters life, I kept my calories in the same range, and once again, didn't lose. I upped my calories upon finding mfp, and the weight started dropping off.
  • charisse15
    Options
    Age? 33
    Height? 5'4
    Starting Weight? 269 after baby #3
    Current Weight? 233
    Time it took to lose weight? I am now 6mnths PP
    Daily calories consumed? 1500-1600
    Did your milk supply ever drop? I have supply issues anyway, so Im not sure.
    Did you exercise? If so, what types? I go to the gym 3x a week and do a 60min class.. then 20 mins just cardio
    Did you eat back exercise calories? No
    Any tips/advice? Im new to counting calories while BFing so I have no advice yet.. Im still trying to figure out what works for me.

Congrats ladies on the great weight loss.. I hope to follow in your steps. I have recently stopped losing weight and now that Im tracking calories, I realized I was under eating (even tho I was eating all day long) I struggle to get to my calorie goal everyday !