PCOS AND PERCENTAGES?

Options
I am wondering the amount of calories and percentages for fat/protein/carbs I should have daily with having PCOS?

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm told I have PCOS ~ I don't let it influence me in any way shape or form. I do what I do and move my *kitten*! I have enhanced my protein intake because it gives me more energy.
  • baby_lovelove
    Options
    I am told to stay away from carbs and eat more protein. I try and whenever I do eat carbs I gain! :(

I weigh 227 and want to be 200. Its very discouraging. Do you not count carbs?
  • butterfly_dreams04
    Options
    I have pcos too and hypothyroidism and all the research says losing weight is hard, well in 2 and a half weeks I have lost 3 pounds on a pcos diet.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Your carb goals are going to vary based on total calorie goal, but in general for PCOS patients, a consistent carbohydrate diet is recommended with goals of somewhere between 40-50% of total calorie intake. Hope that helps.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't count carbs, I just stick to the MFP recommendations. I figure if I don't cut them out now it will be easier later.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have done 40/30./30 carbs/protein/fat...and have done Paleo...both allowed me to lose weight...but the kicker is to rethink the way you eat. For my personal well being..I do try to stay under 150 carbs a day..and If I dont..I pay for it the next day..(thanks to Metformin).

You also have to figure what works for you as far as exercise..I lift heavy for 30-45 mintues..then do an hour class of spinning..it works for you..you have to do a little trial and error..

I also have Insulin Resistance, Adrenal Fatigue and Hypothyroid..major metabolic issues....but I dont let them stop me. I have put away my scale...and have goal clothes..rather than a goal weight...
  • baby_lovelove
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Everyone's replies helped a lot!
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PCOS is linked to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, so going on a low to very low carb diet has worked for many women with PCOS. Do a search for PCOS diet and many paleo diet sites come up. I'm doing 15% carbs, 25% protein, and 60% fat. It has worked well for me in terms of weight-loss, fertility issues related to PCOS, and general health.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and I'm eating like he suggested. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Like the previous poster I'm not letting this define me in any way. I am eating right and moving my butt and the weight falls off. The end.

Oh and my diary is open, feel free to check it out if you like. I'm losing really easily.
  • gotobedmaryse
    gotobedmaryse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had to deal with PCOS as well, and the only thing I noticed that made a difference for me was moving my *kitten*. Exercise everyday, eat about 1700 calories daily and don't give up. The first time I lost weight it took 3 weeks before the scale moved, talk about discouraging, but eventually went from 224 to 184... It's been 8 years, 4 pregnancies (2 full term) since that first weight loss and I now know what works for me. Move, move, move! :) I do eat less carbs now then I did then, but I eat less of everything in general. I don't deprive myself of nothing. Good luck!
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I aim to eat a balanced diet...lots of water... and exercise. I've lost 42 pounds with MFP since August 2011 following this - it's not about less carbs, high protein for me... it's about exercise and a well rounded diet from all sources. It's not about a diet, it's a lifestyle. I notice if I do have "junk" versus whole veggie sources and good proteins, I will pay for it later... therefore, real foods that you have to cook versus canned and overly processed are better in the long run.
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have done 40/30./30 carbs/protein/fat.

^^ this is what I do for my PCOS
  • ArwenP
    ArwenP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS myself, but I know the author of the book Freedom from PCOS, Katie Humphrey. If you saw her personal struggle with PCOS and her transformation, you would be amazed. I've seen first hand not only what she did for herself, but what she's doing to help other woment with PCOS get healthy. Here's a link to her book at Amazon if any of you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-PCOS-Katie/dp/0557557267/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360617475&sr=1-3&keywords=katie+humphrey
  • MirjaH79
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS some 10 yrs ago. I've only just began with MFP, but I did make my own food goals: carbs 45% and protein 30% of total energy consumption.
    I'm going with the Roadmap, because some 18 months ago I lost appr. 7 kg or 15 lbs with quite a similarly structured diet by a personal trainer. So now I'm using you guys as my PT! :wink:
  • baby_lovelove
    Options
    That's awesome. I am glad all of you are doing so well. I managed to lose 40 lbs in a year with watching what I eat and working out doing Zumba pretty much daily but I am starting on calorie counting now, too. I'm trying to lose 27 lbs for now.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I LOVE carbs... loooooooooove... I can eat a whole loaf of bread and not bat an eyelash... HOWEVER, I don't eat that much. I have protein in the morning, sometimes I will go for a bagel with light cream cheese if I have spinning that day - only on days I do cardio!!!

For lunch and dinner some days, I have pasta, whole wheat and I've just discovered brown rice pasta and O M G - dose that with some veggies and marinara sauce and that's is *muah* fantastic!!!

Generally, I don't eat a lot of carbs anymore. If I have some at night, it's ONE serving max... no more then that.