the gym

Options
I hear people talk about how great the feel after a workout, they have tons of energy, they lvoe it blah blah blah. How do you get yourself to that point? I have worked out for a while now and while I do like the results, the whole "i went worked and feel great doesn't happen", tends to be more "I worked out and i feel like crap". Just trying to get myself motivated and, well, working out kind of sucks.

Replies

• scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it? I know when I started working out again the first couple of weeks sucked I was so out of shape and felt so frustrated. Even though I was easing into it slowly just trying to get back into the routine I slowly started feeling better afterwards. Although even though I feel good after I still hate going lol. So you might just need more time.

You could also look at changing things up to make it more fun what are you doing when you go? Some people do better in classes, some like me are solo people. Finding something that you enjoy and will stick with is more important than trying to stick with some plan you came up with or someone else came up with for you.
  • shadowgem13
    shadowgem13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been back to it for about 2 months, going back into my routine very slowly. Prior to this I worked out for about 7 months and due to, well, life, I had to stop for a few months. I have been getting back into my routine and I know what I have to do, I have just never enjoyed working out. Would be easier to do this if I felt great after my workouts. Classes generall don't work for me due to my work schedule.
  • JoannePickard
    Options
    I have just recently started back at the gym.
    I have not been in over three years and feel so unfit.
    I too am finding it really hard to get motivated and am hoping that once I can see a difference it will help motivate me.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way..that is one reason I have no desire in ANY high impact exercise....even though I am considering swapping this bo flex for a walking treadmill:) that way I can post while walking..MUTLI TASKER:drinker:
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I totally feel crappy after a hard workout but it's a good crappy, if that makes sense. It's like, "wow, I really pushed myself...sure I'm tired as hell but that's because I'm working towards a goal...sweat is just fat crying and I made the whole playground cry today!"

I'm not a competive person but I try to best my own records. I know it takes me abotu 15min to complete an elliptical mile, can I do that in 14:30 instead today? And if I can do that once, can I do the 2nd mile in 14:15?

Stay with it. It gets easier and better and more fun eventually. And not all days are good days, either. Sometimes I kill it and some days just doing the minimum is hard work.

Keep the faith!
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree you should try and mix it up a bit. There are times when I really hate running, but I always love weights. I like cycling and swimming, but am not that keen on rowing. Try new things and see if there is something you enjoy :)
  • Ajessie
    Options
    Your nutrition can effect your workouts too, if you aren't getting enough carbs, protein, etc. Having that well balanced diet can make a tremendous difference when it comes to working out. I love getting my workouts in but if my food has been off that day my workouts tend to suck.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I wonder sometimes if it just depends on the person. I know with me, I get that weak feeling at first, like it just kicked my butt; then about 15-20 mins later, I have a good amount of energy. Sometimes it's more than other days, but generally a good feel.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Your nutrition can effect your workouts too, if you aren't getting enough carbs, protein, etc. Having that well balanced diet can make a tremendous difference when it comes to working out. I love getting my workouts in but if my food has been off that day my workouts tend to suck.

Very true... didn't think of that!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    052C832D-AD96-423C-B7AE-2F8F5E237EF0-27535-00001635C8F9D91F.jpg
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    052C832D-AD96-423C-B7AE-2F8F5E237EF0-27535-00001635C8F9D91F.jpg

No doubt!!!
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....

When I finally wrapped my head around the fact I wasn't eating enough my whole attitude has changed....

I no longer leave the gym tired and contemplating if I could get away with not showering because I was just too dang tired. I leave happy, alert and ready to get home make dinner, shower and do other things instead of passing out at 7pm.

Why?

I'm finally fueling my workouts since I bumped my calories to almost 2000 a day. This has to be the difference for me as I've been working out a long time and I know I need to bump them up again to about 2400 (But I'm easing into that as it's just nuts to wrap my head around it but I believe in it and so far it's working for me.)

Best of luck to you, if you can start with a higher carb snack (I make my own protein bars) and I have one about 1/2hr-45mins before the gym and I eat another one right after or within 1/2hr of my workout. I haven't felt depleted since I started doing this and my workouts are more intense, more powerful because I have the energy to do it.

Sal
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do it
    I don't enjoy it
    but I do enjoy the way it effects my weight & measurements so......
    I keep at it!!
    Just because we do not feel right does not necessarily mean we follow our feelings!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I only get into it if I enjoy the workout itself. If it doesn't make me smile at least occasionally, I am probably not going to make it a habit.
  • Ajessie
    Options
    Just a thought....

When I finally wrapped my head around the fact I wasn't eating enough my whole attitude has changed....

I no longer leave the gym tired and contemplating if I could get away with not showering because I was just too dang tired. I leave happy, alert and ready to get home make dinner, shower and do other things instead of passing out at 7pm.

Why?

I'm finally fueling my workouts since I bumped my calories to almost 2000 a day. This has to be the difference for me as I've been working out a long time and I know I need to bump them up again to about 2400 (But I'm easing into that as it's just nuts to wrap my head around it but I believe in it and so far it's working for me.)

Best of luck to you, if you can start with a higher carb snack (I make my own protein bars) and I have one about 1/2hr-45mins before the gym and I eat another one right after or within 1/2hr of my workout. I haven't felt depleted since I started doing this and my workouts are more intense, more powerful because I have the energy to do it.

Sal

YES!!!! :love:
  • Diahann_Hughes
    Diahann_Hughes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hear people talk about how great the feel after a workout, they have tons of energy, they lvoe it blah blah blah. How do you get yourself to that point? I have worked out for a while now and while I do like the results, the whole "i went worked and feel great doesn't happen", tends to be more "I worked out and i feel like crap". Just trying to get myself motivated and, well, working out kind of sucks.

For me in the very beg when my fitness was terrible and I was loads overweight I felt the exact same I actually hated the gym :( Now 6 stones lighter with my fitness being dramatically change I love the gym. I feel that there is nothing being than gym or classes you will get to the point I never thought I would. In the beg I couldnt even walk up the stairs or run to a lamppost without being shattered you can do it x
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Tell us more. What way do you feel like crap? Tired, hurt, sore, mentally unhappy, etc.?
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I joined a gym last week. I've been 3 times and have surprised myself how much I've enjoyed myself. I've tried something different every time. I don't like treadmills (pointless - I can and do walk for free) so I don't do them. I do enjoy the rowing machine and the bikes have a built in tv screen. I'm scared of the free weight area, but I've enjoyed lifting power bags and using medicine balls with a rebounder. Try different things - you might find something you like.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say. You know the saying "fuel your workouts"? For me, it's true!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if i have a really intense workout, where i'm giving it about 90-95% of what i can physically do, then i always feel great after i'm done.