Running NSV

Options
Hello everyone,
I will start with a little bit of background about myself, so you all know where I come from. I have been overweight most of my life, and have been larger than average ever since middle school. I always hated running, and never did it unless I absolutely had to. The fastest mile I ever ran in highschool was a 12:34 mile, and I never dreamed of wanting to improve.

I had played rugby since highschool, and enjoyed it very very VERY much, so after a 2 year break, upon starting grad school, I decided to take it up again. I noticed myself loving it even more than before, and decided that it would be a perfect addition to my weightloss plan (as it burns so many calories). I had decided (at 207 lbs) that enough was enough, and that I was finally going to lose all the weight that was holding me back! I had loved working out with my team more and more, and even clocked in at my fastest mile time of 10:25! Unfortunately, 6 weeks into my plan, I tore my ACL entirely while at practice...and this derailed all of my hopes and plans. I never thought I could ever run again, and after reading more about the injury, and about the fact that, even after surgery, my reconstructed knee would only be 85% as it was before...I was very discouraged and felt that I had wasted my life, and ruined any chances of being a runner. In this time I put on 11 more lbs, and clocked in at my highest ever weight of 218 lbs. 4 months later, I had my surgery to reconstruct my ACL, and the little bit of hope that I had left seemed to dwindle away after each painful step I took, and even after 2 months, I had a huge limp, and immensely favoured my good leg. I decided that enough was enough, and that I needed to take charge, so I spent hours every week strengthening my leg, and 4 months after that, I was cleared to attempt to run. The first run I did, it took me 18 minutes to complete a mile, and I would run for 30 seconds, and stop for a minute or two in between. It was terrible and incredibly frustrating.

Today, I just ran my first 12 minute mile (And only 4 weeks into running!) Improved from 14:55-12:03 in 2 weeks! I am so excited, and definitely noticing myself getting stronger and stronger! Originally, my goal speed was to get back to my fastest mile speed of 10:25, but now I am aiming for 8:00, and also signing myself up for a 5k in June! 6 months ago, I never thought I would be able to walk without a limp again, or ever run again...but now I have surpassed my own expectations, and am so excited about exceeding even more! This time, no obstacle will get in my way. I will get faster and stronger than I ever imagined...and I will finally be the person that I had always wanted to be!

Just thought I would share my happy news with you!

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! Hoping to be where you are soon! I love the sport (my son runs) and I ran in high school but that was many many moons ago. Now when I try to run, it's painful and I HATE it but for some reason, I still have a goal to run (not walk) a 5K. SIGH!!!

You should be very proud!!!
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Thanks so much, chrissylovesc!
    I never though I would actually like running, or look forward to it, and now, I wake up excited to see if I can be even a little bit faster than before!
    You can definitely do it too, just go slow and steady, and before you know it you will be able to run a 5k!!
    (I am looking forward to being able to do a 5k without breaks as well! It might take a few months before I get there, though!)
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Just another little BUMP! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running NSVs! Great job!

I have been overweight ever since puberty hit (damn PCOS!) which turned into obesity. I have been running for almost a year now and while I'm still slow, I'm doing my first half marathon soon! I've given up on trying to be faster for now and am concentrating more on distance.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Thanks!
    I'm also going to try and focus on running longer distances (but in the meantime, I'm also looking forward to getting faster and faster).

I'm starting to love running more than I ever imagined I could!
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    That is great! ACLs are SOOOO hard to come back from, you should be very proud!
  • groke101
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. Really great post, good luck with the running, I hope that it continues to bring you happiness. Great butterflies too!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Good for you. Keep doingi it! It only gets better from here!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You should be very proud of yourself! Keep it up and you'll kick butt at your 5K!!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great job. Great feeling.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You are doing so great! Keep up the hard work and you'll keep feeling stronger and stronger.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your support means so much to me, and is a constant source of motivation!!!
    Thanks for the comments, compliments and luck! I am looking forward to getting faster and stronger! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!