About to give up. Will I be this size forever? :-(

Options

Replies

• Cindywill1
    Cindywill1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what about doing the Military diet for 3 days? I was stalled and did the diet, dropping 5#. Since then I've dropped a pound or 2 a week--in any event, don't give up! the loss you've had is amazing, and sticking with it will be worth it!!!
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. So I gave up, stopped exercising dieting, trying all together from Sept til Dec. I gained 5 lbs back and picked back up at the end of Jan and been dropping about 3 lbs per week since then. Maybe give your body a break.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Iodine supplements made with sea kelp or Potassium Iodide might be a good option for you if the doctor is saying that your levels are normal. I'm in the "high normal" range and seem to get a boost in my metabolism when I use Potassium Iodide drops.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate that!

I do measure, even if I don't log. I have been at this for 2 years now so it's kinda just habit. I eat the same foods in the same amounts from day to day. Kinda boring ha!
    I find that when I slack off with logging, I am eating more calories than I realize. I got myself a kitchen scale and I realized I was eating bigger portions than I realized.

Start with two weeks of serious logging and weighing and measuring your food. See if that makes a difference. No slacking off!

I do want to wish you a big congrats on your 65 pound weight loss. That is a huge accomplishment!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Zig-zagging and changing your intake for a month isn't necessarily going to make huge differences, at least none that you'll see in that short of a period of time.

Keep logging, calculate your BMR/TDEE, make sure you're eating enough, don't fall in for any of the "do the military/mcdonalds/hip-hop dancing diet" garbage.

A caloric deficit should work, but you have to be patient with it. Maintenance may have changed for you, too... as could your BMR. Take your measurements currently, adjust accordingly, log everything, and give it more than just a month to see results.
  • CausticS0da
    Options
    You should take a closer look at sugar - as others have said. You might enjoy this lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Great work so far on the weight loss.
  • coachhiines
    Options
    maybe up your workout everyday see if that helps but don't give up u have done so well so far :)
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Zig-zagging and changing your intake for a month isn't necessarily going to make huge differences, at least none that you'll see in that short of a period of time.

Keep logging, calculate your BMR/TDEE, make sure you're eating enough, don't fall in for any of the "do the military/mcdonalds/hip-hop dancing diet" garbage.

A caloric deficit should work, but you have to be patient with it. Maintenance may have changed for you, too... as could your BMR. Take your measurements currently, adjust accordingly, log everything, and give it more than just a month to see results.

^This!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would not try and avoid natural sugars, there natural ....and any carb you eat gets used as sugar anyway
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Could you afford to see a dietician?

My weight loss secret is heavy cardio - running, biking 9 miles, whatever.

Sorry you're going through this. I know the feeling myself. Plateaus are hard to deal with.

Are you doing anything differently now than when you were losing?
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do dont give up!!! some things that have helped me....
    1/ - eat solid breakfast , decent morning snack,big solid lunch
    2- eat medium afternoon snack ( stay away from carbs) then light dinner salad/veges and protein (limited or no carbs)
    3- best time to work out is earlier in the day if possible no later than 7.30
    4- no food after 7.30pm
    5- cut out as much sugar as you can as it interfers with your bodies natural fat burning capabilities and make sure you log all sugar.
    6- watch your Posture !!! squeeze glutes, tighten core, stick out chest shoulders back !! BUT ALL MY PALS NO THIS ALREADY !!!
    7- eat pure fat and check labels as alot of higher fat foods are better than low fat as the low fat are packed with sugar which is worse.
    8- always do strength training before cardio
    9- change your programme every two weeks to a month to trick your metabolism.
    10- eat every 2-3 hrs smaller meals but often.
    11- drink 8 glasses water min or if training hard up to 12.
    12- eat whole grain brown bread (limit bread though) and rice
    13- LOG everything!!!
  • ChristyP0303
    Options
    I worked with a trainer whom was a dietician 2x a week for a year.

I am not doing anything different. I lost 75 pounds the first year, then the it just stopped. I kept plugging away at it through mid year last year. With 0 results, I went back to maintainence and stopped logging for a while. It was driving me crazy and I had to take a break. Then though Thanksgiving and Christmas, I gained 10 pounds back.! :-(
    Could you afford to see a dietician?

My weight loss secret is heavy cardio - running, biking 9 miles, whatever.

Sorry you're going through this. I know the feeling myself. Plateaus are hard to deal with.

Are you doing anything differently now than when you were losing?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This!

^Definitely this!

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

And most of all..don't change after 2-3 weeks. Stick with it for a couple months! Also make sure you pick the right activity level. Don't pick sedentary because you think you'll lose faster.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau for 6 months and changed up what I ate and that seemed to spark something that got the weight coming off again. How much water do you drink a day? Also.....watch the fat content in foods! I buy low-fat or fat free...never full fat. Good luck
  • plnieman
    Options
    Pick one thing to change, and stick with it for a few weeks. It will take time for your body to catch up.

Have your base calories that you need to lose based on the calculation here.

You will need to eat some of those calories that your burning in order to fuel your body.

If I were you, I would do the above, do cardio 5x a week , and strength train 2x a week. Make sure your using at least 1 day of rest. For me, I would die on the gym cardio machines. So I take to my bike instead for cardio. Interval training will work best.

And I agree with others, you have to faithfully log, and measure to ensure your tracking the right calories. Its good that you have a HRM, that way your not over estimating your calorie burn.

Also, I have found, that while dieting and working out, the balance between the need/hunger for food varies. Some days I eat more than others. So that may be something you want to pay attention to.
  • groke101
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to say that you have done so well and come a very long way by losing 65lbs. This must have taken enormous effort and willpower, so please don't give up now, you can work through this and come out feeling better. Good luck to you, stick at it and be very proud of your wonderful achievement so far.
  • ChristyP0303
    Options
    I never know what activity level to check. I sit in a chair for my job getting up maybe 1-2 times per hour. I take the stairs to help with that. So because of this, I always choose sedentary.

^This!

^Definitely this!

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

And most of all..don't change after 2-3 weeks. Stick with it for a couple months! Also make sure you pick the right activity level. Don't pick sedentary because you think you'll lose faster.
  • Annabelle555
    Annabelle555 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You must have done a whole lot right to lose 65 lbs. Congratulations for that. I feel stuck too. But the only other option is to let go and that will mean the weight goes up. Can't have that. We either fight the good fight or see our health deteriorate. You are doing well to not gain :)
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I concur with the poster above who suggested different exercises. Not just increasing intensity of the ones you already do. If you always do elliptical, try the stair climber, if you always go walking, try bicycling. Mix up your exercises so that you are constantly working different muscles.
  • plnieman
    Options
    Becareful with the low-fat or fat free products. They make it up somewhere, and it's usually sodium and sugars, which can be hurtful, as some people think they can eat more, because it's low-fat/fat free and reflected in the calories.