Frustrating People!!

Options
I work in a small office (4 of us total) and, well, it gets pretty slow throughout the day which turns into chatting. Today I brought up the discussion of joining a gym with the other female in the office and I was discussing how I don't do much weight training because I prefer cardio due to my love of running, desire to burn more calories, etc. That I really don't need the weights in a gym as my PUD offers these... I just want classes...

Anyway, one of the guys (who has a gym membership and pays probably $4-500 a month for such memborship and a personal trainer) decides to jump in and inform me that I am wrong, that weight training burns more calories per minute. I say something like, "Really, it's all about heart rate. Cardio definitely can burn more than an average weight training session." He decides to blurt out something like "Right, and all my PTs that tell me I need to weight train only because it burns the most calories and it will make me lose weight faster - all those guys that have gone to extensive schools and I pay them, they are just all wrong, right?"

I felt like saying, well you work out 6 days a week and haven't lost any weight in the last 6 months that should tell you something... instead I go on to explain how I get my HR up to 170-180 during cardio and that makes me burn 15 calories or so a minute and I can't imagine having a HR that high for more than a few minutes during weight training (pauses between sets, moving machines, changing weights definitely loses HR.) He first tells me it is impossible to get my HR that high without dying per his trainers so basically I must be lying (Okay I'm 21 and I've been running for 6-7 years when I do speed work I need to be near 80-90% my max).

Anyway it is just frustrating when people think they know everything just because someone "educated" told them so... he thinks he will lose weight if he keeps up the weights but he hasn't dropped a pound in a year! Maybe he should incorporate some cardio. But, instead he belittles me and tells me what I say I do is wrong and how I am only slowing my weight loss by doing cardio - it's like HELLO! OPEN YOUR EYES.

Later on I emailed him a few articles that discuss the benefits of the three types of training and he just laughs and tells me how I'm wrong and that cardio does not help you lose weight....?

HELLO!!!!! OPEN YOUR EYES!! I just wonder how many people are like this - stubborn and think they know everything when they are wrong!! How do these PTs sleep at night?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    He is probably just mis-quoting his PT's. (Possibly he is defensive over his preferred workout method and his lack of results?) Cardio does give you more instantaneous results, but the calorie-burn from weight-lifting lasts long after you stop.

I agree with you, it's all about balance, weights AND cardio would surely do him good, especially since some of what you burn during extensive cardio is muscle tissue.
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    Well I have to say you're both kinda right but that doesn't mean he as to be an *kitten* about it. When you lift weights correctly you burn calories longer than you would if you're just doing cardio. I don't know exactly the science behind it because I'm not an expert. Of course you should do both if you can. There'd be no harm in you trying to lift weights or him trying some cardio. If you're gonna just do one though I would pick cardio just like you. Like I said, I don't know the science behind it but there is something about lifting weights that makes you burn calories longer. I understand it but I obviously can't explain it very well.
  • sheenmarie3
    sheenmarie3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a great personal trainer but they are still trying to make commissions on healthy snacks and supplements. However, mine told me that weight training does help loose weight, but it has to be mixed with cardio work outs. Increasing your muscle helps boost your metabolism and as a result it increases weight loss. He drew a picture of a tiny monster (muscle) eating fat...to put it in persective. I was skeptical, but as a result the first week I lifted AND did cardio, I saw a big difference! Everyone is different it all depends on what works for you.
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All I can say is...if the man is married..pity his poor wife....he will NEVER be wrong about anything. This is just one aspect of life....I imagine he is that 'right' about everything he does. He is like the bully on the play ground that feels big when he puts someone else down...Just shake your head, laugh and tell him he is hopeless!!!! He is!!! The more he gets to you, the more you have played into his hands.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    All I can say is...if the man is married..pity his poor wife....he will NEVER be wrong about anything. This is just one aspect of life....I imagine he is that 'right' about everything he does. He is like the bully on the play ground that feels big when he puts someone else down...Just shake your head, laugh and tell him he is hopeless!!!! He is!!! The more he gets to you, the more you have played into his hands.

Well-said!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Tell him you would be willing to try lifting some weight if he was willing to go for a run with you. I have been doing mainly cardio for the past year but I know I need to balance out my workouts by adding some weight training into the mix.
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    charming guy to work with i dont think
    i dont know how or why but i do notice if i do cardio i lose if im doing toning exercises i stay the same if i do both i lose more not sure why and i cant say as i worry over it i just know it works for me and im happy with that
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    There are always those people that hear something or read something from a "reputable" source and think it's automatically fact. There are SO MANY ideas out there of what the magic equation is for losing weight, but the truth is everyone's body is different. It's all about what works for you. If you're having success with just cardio than more power to you. I personally feel like my body needs cardio and weight training to work best. No I may not see the results on the scale but I can definitely feel it in my clothes and see it in the mirror.

So my advice to you is continue doing what works for you. If you get to a point that the weight loss stops, slows down, or you just get bored with your routine then switch it up!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think you're both a little right but he's just being a jerk about his response :) plus i think PTs (no offense to PTs out there) wouldn't make a whole lotta money if they just suggested cardio (PT: go out for a run! Client: I'm paying you $60/hr to tell me that?) ya know?
    I'm like you...I'm much more of a cardio person than a weights person and I lost the bulk of my weight by simply running but I know that for long term, sustained weight loss I need to lift weights a little bit.

Also, I'm of the school of thought that this whole health/weight loss thing is not an exact science...what may work for one woman or man does not work for everyone. Some people are in killer shape from yoga alone....yoga alone would not cut if for me, ya know? My boyfriend lifts weights 4 days a week and runs 1 and he's in great shape. We all get served a different bag.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    hahahaha --- I'm sorry, but all I can do is laugh at this! I totally know what kind of people you are talking about and it is frustrating.

How can someone be sooooo dumb?? Cardio is the BEST exercise for weight loss! DUH
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    The problem is I DO weights as well.. just don't prefer them. Just so arrogant of him to be RIGHT. Makes conversation quite frustrating! Thanks for the funny comments.

And no, not married: He lives with his girlfriend of 9 years whom he refuses to marry and I already pitty her for that and a few other things. :):)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but he is right about one aspect, lifting weights helps you loose weight, but NOT because of the calories burned during your workout. The more muscle you have on your body the more calories you burn doing everything, including resting, standing and running.

To have overall fitness you should incorporate both resistance training and cardiovascular work for maximum results. If you are only doing cardio and are on a low cal diet you do risk losing muscle which means you will not burn as many calories and if you return to your old lifestyle risk putting more weight than you lost as your metabolism would be slower with less muscle.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Perhaps next time he tells you he doesn't need to do cardio, you could remind him of the good things cardio is doing for your heart that weights can not ;) Weight loss isn't everything!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Ace Certified Personal Trainer here.

1) NO exercise will cause you to lose weight. Having a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight, that's the long and short of it.

2) Weight training generally causes a lower calorie burn during the exercise time relative to cardio. But depending on how hard you trained, a higher than resting metabolic rate (higher calorie burn) will persist for anywhere from a few hours (for a light routine) to a few days (for a heavy routine, or a new moderate routine).

3) Cardio will burn a large volume of calories during the time exercised and a short time after (usually less than 30 minutes) UNLESS you go anaerobic (really high intensity), then it can persist for a few hours at an elevated rate.

4) That heart rate statement is ridiculous, a 21 year old should have a maximum heart rate of around 198 or 199 or so as an average. That means you can reach 185 to 190 for very short periods if you are in relative good health and have no cardiovascular issues to speak of. This is a gray area though, it depends on your individual health, some hearts are stronger than others, and some are weaker. Your max HR may be 205, or it may be 185, it all depends on you.

Tell your male friend to look up the concept of EPOC (Exercise Post exercise Oxygen Consumption), muscle recovery, and human metabolic function, because he is obviously confused, or his trainers suck. I'm not sure which, but I've seen both confused clients and really bad trainers, so neither would surprise me.

Hope this helps!

-Banks
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    well, yeah he is a jerk. now lets talk about why weight training helps you burn calories. when you stress a muscle and cause micro tears in the muscle it requires energy to repair them. that way you burn cals longer than just cardio alone. Also it requires more cals to support muscle than fat. more muscle higher cal burn. Imho cardio and weight training go hand in hand for a healthier leaner you. As a long distance runner the body will actually decrease the muscle mass on your upper extremities to streamline you. So extra upper body weight training would help prevent that.. Cardio has a much higher burn rate while doing the exercise and its heart heallthy( thats why it is called cardio as in cardiac lol)
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    i heard that weight training burns more calories over time because it causes your body to burn more calories at rest. But love cardio too. Do a combo of each.. keep you interested and in shape.. thanks for your comment
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't really know too much on this topic here but I heard circuit training is great. I just started it and am getting great results. If you are looking for simple calorie burn you should look into it.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The biggest and most important reason I do the weights is for bone strength. The older you get the more you really want strong bones. And it doesn't even have to be heavy weights. So a combo it best for me.